ZebraLight SC600

Status
Not open for further replies.

DM51

Flashaholic
leon2245... it is quite a nuisance to other members if you change the title in your post. It doesn't change the thread title in the index, but anyone who uses the quick reply option after you will by default use the title you used. The last 10 posts in this thread have carried the incorrect title because of what you did.

Please would members note that it is not good practice to make a habit of this; and please would the next poster use the correct (original) title.

fnj

Enlightened
Wow, you-know-who sure delivers fast ... should have had those batteries charged but it won't take me long ...

JA(me)S

Enlightened
Congrats fnj!

I know you put a lot of thought into this purchase - "hard sell" and all. It is because of this, I am particularly interested in your thoughts on this light - and am hopeful it lives up to your expectations.

Keep us posted... and have fun with your new acquisition!

- Jas.

topbloke72

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have a holster, preferably leather, which fits this flashlight? I am loving the look of this light, the only thing thats putting my off is that there's no way to carry it on a belt.

lightsandknives

Enlightened
Well, I held off as long as I could. I just ordered an SC600 and AW R18650 2900 from GG. Can't wait to get it and give it a run in the dark. This will be my first 18650 light. I was a little surprised at the price of the battery! My 18500s that I use in my Malkoff Hound Dog & MD3 body are 1500 mah, so I guess it stands to reason that a battery with 2900 would probably be about twice the price!

Most of the time, I prefer floody lights so I think this will be a winner.

picrthis

Enlightened
@ lightsandknives

Oh my goosh I just took a look at how much GG's charges for the AW 2900, that has to be the highest price I have ever seen. Next time around try searching on cpfmarketplace, you can get a much better "deal" than that....I was really shocked when I seen the sticker price :ohgeez:on them.

lightsandknives

Enlightened
@ lightsandknives

Oh my goosh I just took a look at how much GG's charges for the AW 2900, that has to be the highest price I have ever seen. Next time around try searching on cpfmarketplace, you can get a much better "deal" than that....I was really shocked when I seen the sticker price :ohgeez:on them.

Yeah, I too was shocked. I found it a little cheaper, but since I was already ordering, was getting a 10% CPF discount on it, and free shipping, I just bit the bullet and bought one.

But, I just looked at another very popular site here, actually 2, and it's the same price. That just seems to be the retail for the best 18650 out there!

Last edited:

fnj

Enlightened
Congrats fnj!

I know you put a lot of thought into this purchase - "hard sell" and all. It is because of this, I am particularly interested in your thoughts on this light - and am hopeful it lives up to your expectations.

Keep us posted... and have fun with your new acquisition!

- Jas.

My thoughts won't be too profound.
1) I was so psyched that 750 lumens would be like an antiaircraft searchlight. It's not. It's just incrementally brighter than a now-common 200 lumen light. But it sure ain't bad.
2) But it WILL light up an entire room handily when tailstanding. You really don't need room lights any more unless you're going to stay there a while.
3) It is VERY floody; certainly when compared to an HDS 170 clicky with the Golden Dragon, but even compared to, say, a Quark Mini.
4) The beam has a pronounced lemony fringe, so much so that it doesn't seem to be cool white; at least not when compared with, say, a Quark Mini. On balance it's a very nice tint indeed.
5) The button is so fantastically hard to operate (especially double click) as to be a pain. Right now, given I have no intention of EVER carrying this light in my pocket, I would give anything for the luxurious old style button. Zebralight would DEFINITELY make one more sale if they offered it as an option.
6) Five minutes on high, free standing, does not produce what I would call a scary amount of heat.
7) The Panasonic batteries definitely do get warm in the Pila charger. Enough to cause me some concern.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
7) The Panasonic batteries definitely do get warm in the Pila charger. Enough to cause me some concern.

Whoa! A healthy li-ion cell should not get noticeably warm when charging. Is this a new cell?

--flatline

fnj

Enlightened
Whoa! A healthy li-ion cell should not get noticeably warm when charging. Is this a new cell?

--flatline

It is. It arrived from shipping at around 3.6 volts. Sorry I can't tell you exactly how warm it was during charging. Obviously well above room temperature, I would say body temperature or somewhat more, but nowhere near enough to be uncomfortable to touch continuously. I monitored it closely to make sure it didn't get warmer.

A number of guys have reported this, so I wanted to chime in. We'll see if it's related to being brand new.

Biker Bear

Enlightened
The Greater Los Angeles Metropolitan Sprawl
My SC600 arrived yesterday - but I only just discovered it. (My apartment building has very small mailboxes; I'm used to getting a knock at the door when something other than a magazine or letter arrives - but the box the light ships in was just small enough to be left in my mailbox.)

Gorgeous on the outside and OMG BRIGHT on maximum output. Perhaps as this is my first ZebraLight, I don't have a problem with the switch the way some who are used to earlier models have said. Though the UI will take a bit of getting used to, I can see why people love it.

The down side is that of the three Redilast 2900s I bought - one absolutely will NOT go in, with the other two quite a snug fit and have already gotten some scratches on their black plastic jackets from a few insertion/removal cycles. Admittedly I am mildly disappointed, but I at least have a couple cells that work - and while this is my first foray into 18650 lights, I have no doubt this will not be my last and I'll eventually have a light that can use these cells easily. I'll continue to watch this thread to see if a consensus develops around what the highest capacity cell is that works without question in this light. I expected my first light in this category to be a learning experience....

At risk of picking nits - the inside bore of my light is less than perfect; I can feel a ridge roughly half-way down the tube (I wonder if that's related to the cell fit issue), and looking in with a light there seem to be patches that are un-anodized. Is that something to be concerned over?

molon_labe

Newly Enlightened
Love the light.

Its small, bright, the Ui is nice, the low is very low, it has memory in every mode and the switch is fine by me. I have zero complaints about it. Its my new favorite light that I will carry as an EDC. My new AW 2900 slides right in with no hitting or rubbing. Im sticking with AW they have never let me down so far. Forget the readystuck batteries.

Some people are just too dang picky and fussy. Compare this light to a 10 year old mag light if you want to complain.

Wildlands

Newly Enlightened

Just got my SC600 yesterday. This thing is a gorgeous light. It does not have the throw that some of the sst-50 has, but the light is huge and the color is excellent. The case on this is pretty small, no room to really modify it to add a trit, but I will end up adding an epoxy glow ring at some point to it. A little ultra blue glow around the LED is it for now.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
We've seen others put glow substances around their LEDs but won't any such substance around an ultra-hot LED degrade due to the heat? Also, that light has 2 clip grooves - perfect for putting a clip in one and glow tape in the other.

Last edited:

Wildlands

Newly Enlightened
I've heard the melting point of the strontium aluminate silicate (glow powder) is anywhere from 1800c to 2500c, which is pretty high. The powder can actually be used in glass blowing, though I think you need to match the expansion coefficients. If the powder crystals melt or break, they lose their glow. They can be crushed pretty easily with metal or destroyed with sanding, but melting them is tough.

The adhesive holding the particles is from Glow Inc, and most likely would be the first thing to degrade. It's something like nail polish. I've done this mod to a few flashlights, and it is around the LED between the reflector and the emitter, and never had issues in some long running lights. Worst case scenario, I clean it up and put some glow powder in silicone and give it another go.

mrlysle

Enlightened
Got my SC600 today. Wooooot!!! This thing is REALLY nice! My 4th Zebralight, and I'm absolutely thrilled with this one! Love the new switch!!!!! FWIW, I was worried about cell issues, like has been discussed here a bunch, but I'm happy to report all of my AW 2900's drop right in and work. No friction fit, no shoving them even a little, no shaking to get them out. Just as if this little light was made for AW 2900's. I know some of you folks have problems, and it stinks. I'm only reporting how mine is. Maybe ZL is beefing up quality control, or manufacturing tolerances, or whatever is preventing some people from using certain cells in their lights. George, if you're reading this, the SC600 is a HOME RUN in my book. When the SC600w comes out, I'll definitely be getting one! I love my SC60w, but this SC600 is just incredible! :devil:

Philonous

Newly Enlightened
I am really starting to want this light - seriously considering it for my next purchase. I know ZL will eventually be selling it with a clip, but I can't find any info on when. Does anybody know if there's a date for the clip release?

Status
Not open for further replies.