ZebraLight SC600

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am actually using the Sunwayman V10R Ti as a EDC and find that it is in between the 600 and 600W in terms of colour. I actually prefer this colour as I think it is a compromise between cool white and warm.
I hope you are aware that LED tint varies from light to light, even if it is of the same make and model. The V10R Ti which I had sold away has a very bluish tint. Maybe too cool is how I would put it. My SC600 looks a lot warmer, in fact so warm I could almost place it somewhere near the spectrum of neutral white. You see, it is the total opposite of what you have received. In fact, both my SC600 had the same warmish tint.

Philabuster

Newly Enlightened
Ordered my 600w from ZL on 12/19 and it arrived 12/23.

It took me a day to get used to the UI, but I find it very useful. The color is outstanding. :thumbsup: I love floody lights and this one is wonderful.

I pocket carry all my flashlights and was not sure the 600w would fit where my slim Mini AA2 used to reside. Bezel up carry worked fine. I do not use the clips on any flashlight so the weak clip issue goes unnoticed as it is still in the box.

0.1 to 600+ lumens in my pocket. This is a keeper. :naughty:

lovecpf

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope you are aware that LED tint varies from light to light, even if it is of the same make and model. The V10R Ti which I had sold away has a very bluish tint. Maybe too cool is how I would put it. My SC600 looks a lot warmer, in fact so warm I could almost place it somewhere near the spectrum of neutral white. You see, it is the total opposite of what you have received. In fact, both my SC600 had the same warmish tint.

You are right ... it makes it even more of a challenge when you are buying it new mail order. At least with forum members you will have a description of the light characteristics.

cbthedookie

Newly Enlightened
Man, all of the Zebralight models rock!

I finally have my sc600w in hand, and was just comparing it to my sc51w - both have great tint and beam quality, and the UI is the best of the many lights that I own (I don't have an HDS yet, though...). A bit hard to tell right now, but it looks like the beam may be a bit cooler than that on my SC51w, but it still renders colors very well.

One surprise in picking this light up after using my sc51w: based on other's comments, I expected the sc600 switch to be firmer than the sc51; however, it is much more so than anticipated. I've found myself getting inadvertent high a few times, and double clicking to switch within a mode requires conscious effort - the switch will take some getting used to (but I can't imagine this coming on inadvertently).

Regardless, this has definitely been worth the wait! I'm excited to eliminate the darkness tonight.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe I just got used to it, but I think the switch breaks in after using it awhile. It seems mine is a little smoother than when I first received it in July. I dont have any other Zebras to compare it too however.

tony613

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Derek. I haven't had any luck finding the 1/2-inch split rings. Still lots of places to look.

Hey Gordo,
If you or anyone else is still looking for split rings of smaller size, you may want to try your local veteranarian (believe it or not), or even PetSmart. The rings used for vaccinations and id tags on the collar for both my dogs is about 1.4 cm or 9/16 inches inside diameter. The last time I was there my vet had two small containers on the reception desk full of rings for the taking so you may even be able to get a few of them for nothing, not that they would be expensive. Here is a quick pic for comparison.

6603283247_7495242d77.jpg

Tony

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another source for split rings is your local hardware store. I don't necessarily mean the big box stores like Home Depot or Lowe's (although they'd most likely have them, too). We've got a couple of nice-sized True Value affiliated hardware stores where I live and each one carries just about every size split ring available. These kinds of local stores often carry items not found in the larger chains. In some cases you might need to ask where they keep what you're looking for. Even though split rings will likely be where you get keys made (roughly), they can also be tucked away in a specialty hardware drawer that might not be so obvious in its location.

fishx65

Enlightened
I did not read all 86 pages about this torch but am wondering how it compares, as far as brightness, to the Manafont/Ultrafire 3 mode dropin. Anyone have both?

g.p.

Enlightened
I did not read all 86 pages about this torch but am wondering how it compares, as far as brightness, to the Manafont/Ultrafire 3 mode dropin. Anyone have both?
I tested them side by side, but it was a few months ago. From what I remember they were about the same brightness, but the Manafont had a slightly tighter beam and threw a little further.

Overall the SC600 is a much more usefull light due to the multiple levels, especially the lows. It's also much smaller...seems like it's half the size of my Solarforce P60 lights.

pae77

Enlightened
I tested them side by side, but it was a few months ago. From what I remember they were about the same brightness, but the Manafont had a slightly tighter beam and threw a little further.

Overall the SC600 is a much more usefull light due to the multiple levels, especially the lows. It's also much smaller...seems like it's half the size of my Solarforce P60 lights.

My impressions of the two are exactly the same. Although I prefer the slightly tighter beam of the Manafont in a Solarforce L2i host, the significantly smaller size of the SC600 (w in my case), plus great UI with more levels & ultra lows (as well as hidden strobe if/when desired) make the SC600 well worth the additional cost. The Solarforce w. XML drop in is still a great value though.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
This would have be my perfect light, but it's so floody judging by fonariks pix that it feels like it's wasting lumens to me especially if it's outdoors. I am still considering it though. Has anyone ever modded one of these?

P-zebra-SC600-CREE-XM-L-750lm.jpg
P-Fenix-TK45-Cree-XP-G-R5-760lm.jpg

Animalmother, those shots give the impression that the SC600 is a lot more floody than it really is. I think the fact that these photos show so much low and whitish concrete to reflect the light gives more of a floody impression than you'd get otherwise. Most people won't very often be shining it into an area that gives you the tunnel effect that these shots do (at least, not when used outdoors). The SC600 leans toward being floody but is not really a flood in a pure sense. And as far as wasted lumens...no, I wouldn't describe it as that kind of light at all. That is, not so floody as to "waste" lumens, but leaning enough toward the floody side to be exceptionally useful in output.

burntoshine

Enlightened
my opinion is that the SC600(w) is an ideal balance of flood and throw. it is the most useful beam produced by a flashlight that i remember ever seeing. lights that are mainly throwers can sometimes cast too narrow of a beam; they're great for spotting things off in the distance, but aren't great at lighting up the area around you. lights like the H501(w) that produce pure flood are perfect for evenly lighting every square inch of your immediate area and can also carry a little bit of a distance ahead, but brightness / visibility drops off significantly before too long.

i find the SC600w to be a superb trail and all-around outdoors light. i can simply adjust the brightness, depending on how far ahead i want to see.

...just awesome!

Gordo

Newly Enlightened
varucelli,
Spot on about the small hardware store. I bought the last 1/2-inch split ring and found a lobster-claw that may fit the bill. The claw does have a plastic coiled tether with it. Not sure if I trust it for anything other than retaining the light under it's own weight. For less than two dollars how durable can it be.

But it does allow me to experiment with the setup without a heavy investment of time or money.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
This would have be my perfect light, but it's so floody judging by fonariks pix that it feels like it's wasting lumens to me especially if it's outdoors. I am still considering it though. Has anyone ever modded one of these?

P-zebra-SC600-CREE-XM-L-750lm.jpg

You know, the more I look at this photo, the more "off" it seems to me. The light looks really exaggerated, as though it's overexposed or otherwise deliberately manipulated.

To me, this doesn't match what I see from my own SC600 at all. The foreground light (the spill, especially directly in front of the tripod at ground level and the wall to the left) seems WAY too bright, especially given where the light seems to be pointing.

It's kind of hard to get a feel for the distances involved and overall perspective not knowing the width and length of this "corridor" (or whatever we'd call it), but the brightness of various portions of the image seems way off. But to me, this seems like a highly suspect image, not very accurate in portraying what the eye actually sees.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this image? Does what I'm saying make sense to you other SC600 users out there?

Last edited:

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know, the more I look at this photo, the more "off" it seems to me. The light looks really exaggerated, as though it's overexposed or otherwise deliberately manipulated.

Well it's pretty obvious to me that the light is coming from off-camera to the left. The wall wouldn't have a shadow like that without the light being to the left of it.

diesel79

Enlightened
Im not sure if that is a shadow, I think we are looking at the same thing. It looks to me like it is stretch that is at a lower elevation, like a walkway or something between a tall block wall on the left and then a lower height block wall on the right. At first glance it does look like a shadow though.

Last edited:

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well it's pretty obvious to me that the light is coming from off-camera to the left. The wall wouldn't have a shadow like that without the light being to the left of it.

Im not sure if that is a shadow, I think we are looking at the same thing. It looks to me like it is stretch that is at a lower elevation, like a walkway or something between a tall block wall on the left and then a lower height block wall on the right. At first glance it does look like a shadow though.

Yeah, that area to the left side of the image between the tripod and wall is some kind of trench, maybe one to two feet lower than the rest of the bottom level.

FLGUY

Newly Enlightened
How long does ZL usually take to replace a defective light? I sent mine to them on the 20th and now can't even get a email reply out of them.

burntoshine

Enlightened
yeah, the light seems to be pointing at an angle in relation to our point of reference. also, i haven't pointed my light much underneath overpasses. i know how my torch lights up the woods (awesomely!) and that's all i need to know. :)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!! :)

BarryH

Enlightened
Looks like the concrete pads under the pillars, on the right side of the photo, have distance markings. (6m, 12m, 18m, 24m, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.