Zebralight SC600w IV Plus

SuperCals

Newly Enlightened
The other thing to keep in mind is some paid an extra $4 for expedited shipping which may have put them ahead as well.

If that's the case I would like to know. If I wanted the light shipped on Nov 30th I would have paid the extra $4. As it stands now the light may not come until after Christmas.

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
If that's the case I would like to know. If I wanted the light shipped on Nov 30th I would have paid the extra $4. As it stands now the light may not come until after Christmas.

To be honest, I paid the extra $4 and it was shipped two days early and actually arrived in my mailbox the 30th. Not bad. So I have to believe the extra $ paid for expedited shipping this time around actually worked

Flashlight Junkie

Newly Enlightened

You have every right to expect your light to be shipped in the order it was received. This isn't the first time I've heard Zebralight say to people that they're free to cancel their order. I think it's just the way they say it and I don't think they mean to be rude. However, it's not the best way to respond to your valued customers.

Keitho

Enlightened
I just finished playing outside with my new SC600w Mk IV and Mk IV Plus with charged LG HE2 cells. First, I tested the Mk IV against my old and beloved SC600w Mk II L2. Gotta say, I'm a bit disappointed. Even though the Mk IV outputs 40% more lumens (1400 vs 1028), it doesn't look that much brighter. The Mk IV Plus has a beautiful, wide beam and a bit more throw than the Fd Mk III Plus (frosted lens). I definitely like it better than the III Plus. I'll probably send the IV back for a refund and keep the IV Plus. At any rate, at $89-$99 US a pop, I'm done with the lumens race. Unless Zebralight rolls out a Mk V at 3,000 lumens, I'm out for a bit. Peace!

I'm always surprised every time I re-prove to myself the logarithmic nature of my eyes. 7400 lm M43 to a 21,000 X7vn...surprisingly "meh". 1500 lm H1 down to 665 lm H2a on my SC600Fd...surprisingly little perceived drop in brightness. It happens to me often enough that I think I might have a learning disability. At least I've taught the part of my brain that buys lights on impulse to stick to high CRI and good tint rather than just lumens!

Flashlight Junkie

Newly Enlightened
I'm always surprised every time I re-prove to myself the logarithmic nature of my eyes. 7400 lm M43 to a 21,000 X7vn...surprisingly "meh". 1500 lm H1 down to 665 lm H2a on my SC600Fd...surprisingly little perceived drop in brightness. It happens to me often enough that I think I might have a learning disability. At least I've taught the part of my brain that buys lights on impulse to stick to high CRI and good tint rather than just lumens!

Couldn't agree more. I love the beam of the new Mk IV Plus. It's wide, but not too wide like the III Fd. It has a beautiful, warmish tint that's a lot like my Mk II L2. Also, the CRI (80+) looks the same as the III Fd (93-95). I couldn't be happier with this purchase. Still undecided if I'll return the regular Mk IV; need more play time. I also need to compare the IV Plus against the Mk III HI. The people in my neighbourhood probably think I have "issues". LOL.

NPL

Enlightened
Couldn't agree more. I love the beam of the new Mk IV Plus. It's wide, but not too wide like the III Fd. It has a beautiful, warmish tint that's a lot like my Mk II L2. Also, the CRI (80+) looks the same as the III Fd (93-95). I couldn't be happier with this purchase. Still undecided if I'll return the regular Mk IV; need more play time. I also need to compare the IV Plus against the Mk III HI. The people in my neighbourhood probably think I have "issues". LOL.
I'd love to hear your input between the Plus and the Hi once you have played around with them a little longer.

Flashlight Junkie

Newly Enlightened
I'd love to hear your input between the Plus and the Hi once you have played around with them a little longer.

Just did it and the III HI still wins for distance. Hard to give a number, but I guess the HI is about 50% brighter than the IV Plus. Much narrower hot spot of course (8 degrees vs 14 degrees) and very little tint shift on the HI. The corona on the IV Plus is yellow/greenish.

NPL

Enlightened
Just did it and the III HI still wins for distance. Hard to give a number, but I guess the HI is about 50% brighter than the IV Plus. Much narrower hot spot of course (8 degrees vs 14 degrees) and very little tint shift on the HI. The corona on the IV Plus is yellow/greenish.
Thank you! So sounds like it's worthwhile owning both, or the regular sc600w for in between compromise.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love for ZL to make an SC600 Mk IV XHP50.2 with a mini-turbo head for increased throw while maintaining the huge lumen output from such a small light.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love for ZL to make an SC600 Mk IV XHP50.2 with a mini-turbo head for increased throw while maintaining the huge lumen output from such a small light.
The XHP50.2 is a poor choice for any throw applications. It just has too large of a footprint and is not available in a HI model. If they did make such a model, it would likely use the XHP35 HI like all the other newest throwers on the market. It or the XP-L HI are the best choices for this type of light right now.

Flashlight Junkie

Newly Enlightened
Thank you! So sounds like it's worthwhile owning both, or the regular sc600w for in between compromise.

Yes, the SC600w Mk IV would be a good compromise. I did note that the width of the hotspot + corona on my SC600w Mk IV was a bit wider than my Mk II L2. Not sure if it's because of the extra lumens or it's just a bit wider. Specs say they're both 10 degrees. I'm not complaining. Let me figure out how to post pics here and I'll do a comparison between all my ZebraLights.

Last edited:

holygeez03

Enlightened
I finally decided to go for it and had my wife order a SC600w MKIV Plus as a xmas gift... I asked ZL for a shipping estimate and they said 3 to 4 weeks.

Just FYI...

holygeez03

Enlightened
I have wondered... if ZL went back to something like the original SC600 form factor... could they use a bigger reflector and get a tighter beam profile with the XHP50 emitter? That would be an acceptable trade-off for me.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have wondered... if ZL went back to something like the original SC600 form factor... could they use a bigger reflector and get a tighter beam profile with the XHP50 emitter? That would be an acceptable trade-off for me.

Original SC600 was longer, but not really any wider.

The primary determining factor for throw is width of the reflector or optic. Since the reflectors would be virtually the same switching back to the old body would not increase throw.

For an example of a wider reflector giving a lot more throw see the Emisar D1S. The smaller head D1 has maybe 45k lux. The bigger head D1S has maybe 125k lux.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Original SC600 was longer, but not really any wider.

The primary determining factor for throw is width of the reflector or optic. Since the reflectors would be virtually the same switching back to the old body would not increase throw.

For an example of a wider reflector giving a lot more throw see the Emisar D1S. The smaller head D1 has maybe 45k lux. The bigger head D1S has maybe 125k lux.

Not to mention, if you want a tighter beam then why not just buy the regular SC600 or better yet the SC600w MKIV HI? The XHP50 and 50.2 are just not good emitters for a throw application. They have too big of a footprint and aren't offered in a HI version.

Last edited:

holygeez03

Enlightened
I assumed the old SC600 could house a somewhat wider reflector... I wonder how much wider it would need to be to get a significant throw boost with the XHP50 emitter?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ordered my Mk IV on 11/27 and it still has not shipped yet. Not really a complaint as I have been around here awhile and know full well that Zebras sell literally as fast as they can be made. Going by my stellar experience with three SC600 lights thus far I jumped on the Mk IV when the ZL site announced it. Oh well I am sure it will show up eventually.

Last edited:

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like them to explain way orders placed after I placed my order Where shipped first.
But they responded with you can cancel your order. That sounds like maybe they don't want my business.

From my experience with preordering Zebralights the past few years it seems like they ship based on two factors: order in which the order was placed AND type of shipping paid for. I always pay the $4-6 extra for the priority shipping as that gets you a much faster shipping window and delivery time. If you go the free route you're going to wait a little longer usually, after all it is free shipping.

I've seen Zebralight give the same response over the years to customers, I don't see it as a sign they don't want someone's business but simply that if you aren't willing to wait you can cancel without any issues/hassle. With how busy they are I highly doubt they have time to explain the reason yours hasn't shipped yet and the logistics behind it... jmho.

markr6

Flashaholic
I started skipping the priority mail and just sticking with 1st class. Still getting mine shipped early and only 1 day later than usual. This last time they seemed to "lose" it for a day, blamed on holiday volume. I'll probably go back to priority next time.

paojerokid

Newly Enlightened
Received mine here in Manila Ph [emoji759] (pre-order at ZL website)
671e00f60f4a263410c2fcf6e51bd92c.jpg
be62325349f53aaa69782b0e6abaf21f.jpg
c9067da3bfa08cea61290730a7182c87.jpg
352005063932d97785213660991239e5.jpg