Zebralight SC700d 21700 XHP70.2 90+CRI

koziy

Newly Enlightened
What's with the clip though? It's the same as the SC600 series but doesn't fit this light at all! I think it was more laziness/cost than an actual oversight. It's too wide to fit into the groove, but too big to fit nicely inside the "outer" groove. It just wobbles.

It's not sized to fit in the groove by the head, which is unfortunate because some people might want to carry it with the head outside of their pocket. However, it fits into the groove by the tail on mine perfectly, with no wobble at all.

markr6

Flashaholic
I obviously got a dud. CAN'T WIN!!! Mine looks nothing like the photos from ChibiM or others I see online. My clip straddles the groove, so it always pops off or gets loose with any movement.

Upon closer inspection I can see there was material that should have been cut out to make the groove wider, allowing the clip to fit.

Here's a closeup:

sc700_clip.jpg

If you look close at the bottom, you can see a slight indentation where the tool, die (I don't know the terminology) was supposed to remove the aluminum but didn't.

Compared to ChibiM's photo:

7tIlsfc.jpg

I am assuming I'm not the only one that will experience this. I'm guessing a whole batch was made this way, recently sent and currently in stock. Wow.

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I totally forgot about that. No bump for a ring. It's a "roller" but at least the head is big enough for a fairly stable stand.

No ring??? This is not a light I'd want to use with a pocket clip. I seldom use the pocket clip on even the SC600's. The 700 certainly looks too big for pocket-carry. A lanyard (attached to a split ring) is the way to go. That's really weird they didn't design it like the 600's.

markr6

Flashaholic
I just can't believe I got another defect...a major one. I think I'm finally done with Zebralight after this, whether or not I get a replacement for this one. As so many posts have proven over the past 7+ years, it's just like rolling the dice every time.

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just can't believe I got another defect...a major one. I think I'm finally done with Zebralight after this, whether or not I get a replacement for this one. As so many posts have proven over the past 7+ years, it's just like rolling the dice every time.

In addition to the ZL tint lottery, we now have the ZL defect lottery?

tonkem

Enlightened

Unless they come out with the Q50 :) I am sure you will be back to Zebralight soon, Markr6. You love them too much.

markr6

Flashaholic
Unless they come out with the Q50 :) I am sure you will be back to Zebralight soon, Markr6. You love them too much.

Probably, they're the only flashlights I like these days. I already got a quick response and an RMA to send it back. So now the question is, do I buy another or assume they were all like this (latest batch)?

tonkem

Enlightened
Yeah, I hear you. I normally carry my Sc600 MKIII or SC63. None of the new lights have screamed at me to buy, as there really hasn't been any significant increase in output. If I want big lumens, I reach for my Meteor M43. I prefer the 5700 to 6500K tints and it seems Zebra is not making many lights with those cooler tints. Oh well, cannot win them all.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably, they're the only flashlights I like these days. I already got a quick response and an RMA to send it back. So now the question is, do I buy another or assume they were all like this (latest batch)?

Send a note specifying what the problem was and ask them to check it prior to shipping.

NPL

Enlightened
I doubt they would send you a defective replacement light...

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Send a note specifying what the problem was and ask them to check it prior to shipping.

Yeah, I think that's the better way to do it, if you really want to have a SC700d. If you cancel and reorder later, maybe you'll get the same defect (if they made a bunch of them).

But if you ask for a replacement, and put a note in your order for them to check it, then if you get another dud with the same problem, they deserve to be flamed into oblivion. I can't imagine they would be that clueless.

burntoshine

Enlightened
Holy smokes!! Sorry to hear that, Mark. The people posting on this forum are a small sample of their customers. It makes me wonder how many defects they are sending out.

What's really sad is I just placed an order for another light. Since the light is in stock, I figured I could possibly get a good light sooner that relying on their returns to be processed, which could have a back log. I could sell one if by some miracle I get two good lights.

To be continued...

burntoshine

Enlightened
I am assuming I'm not the only one that will experience this. I'm guessing a whole batch was made this way, recently sent and currently in stock. Wow.

Depending on ZL's shop setup and number they are producing, it may not be an entire batch that's affected. They could be producing these on multiple machines using multiple employees. So this specific problem could be isolated to just one of those machines / employees. Therefore it would only be a certain percentage of that batch. It's also possible that the problem was caught and someone adjusted their offsets to fix the problem, but your light got put in the good pile by mistake. It pays to have a clean and clutter-free work area.

Last edited:

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
700-900 90cri lumens regulated for 2+ hours of runtime is very good for a host this size. Just goes to show you the efficiency of ZL's driver, the efficacy of the XHP70.2, and the huge energy density of the 21700 cell.

That's the one thing that makes the SC700D tempting for me, but I'm still unsure whether or not I want something to slot in between my SC600 MK3 HI and ROT66, and then of course there's the usual Cree rainbow beam pattern as well. The good news is at least that Zebralights have a high resell value on CPF. I wouldn't want to buy and return to ZL.

Last edited:

ChibiM

Enlightened
I obviously got a dud. CAN'T WIN!!! Mine looks nothing like the photos from ChibiM or others I see online. My clip straddles the groove, so it always pops off or gets loose with any movement.

Upon closer inspection I can see there was material that should have been cut out to make the groove wider, allowing the clip to fit.

Here's a closeup:

sc700_clip.jpg

If you look close at the bottom, you can see a slight indentation where the tool, die (I don't know the terminology) was supposed to remove the aluminum but didn't.

Compared to ChibiM's photo:

7tIlsfc.jpg

Too bad!!! Hope this will get sorted out soon. Mine fits really snug. Once it was attached it was hard to move it.

markr6

Flashaholic
ZL said to ship it back and send a note asking for replacement. And as others mentioned above, I asked that they make sure the replacement doens't have the same defect. Seems like it goes without saying, but don't want to take chances. It's already been since October that I've been trying to get one of these...to keep for good.

Keitho

Enlightened
I just measured my clip, .152" thick; it has what I would call an "interference fit" in the flashlight's dado, which is about .150" wide near the OD. The clip settles in there with some effort. I honestly didn't notice that this clip's fit was any worse than my SC600's. But, my love for the ZL efficiency and weight has created a blind spot that doesn't allow me to see how terrible these clips really are...

I'd be curious to see measurements on your clip and dado, markr; a clip issue would be easier to fix than a turning issue on the flashlight.

justanotherguy

Enlightened
.002" difference and it fits? Your measurements are a bit off.. unless the groove is wider than the width of the clip...? Still, the groove should be square and not tapered, it's width not varying from the od to the minor od.... I'll have to check mine when I get home, but Mark's looks odd compared to the other one... Not sure how They machine them, but I'd use a grooving tool that is the exact width for a one time plunge...

markr6

Flashaholic
Yeah it's not a matter of the clip almost fitting. Simply clipping it on, it rattles just shaking the light. It sits at an angle and pops off with the slightest effort when clipping it on something. You can see the aluminum on each side of the clip should be equal; mine has one about twice the thickness of the other.

Again, anything other than a nice fit like ChibiM's photo above is nonsense, especially for $119. I find it hard to believe that just one or even a few lights got the defect and not a whole batch, but I have no idea how these are manufactured so I'll take their word on the replacement. Throw in a good tint emitter for my troubles :)

They show In Stock right now. I'm gonna be so upset if I miss this batch for my replacement. Figure 2-3 days for my return to arrive and another 2 days for them to get around to it.

Last edited: