Zebralight SC700d 21700 XHP70.2 90+CRI

markr6

Flashaholic
We broke the $100 barrier (other than the S6330). I'm still a buyer...anxiously waiting...

p.s. So many of the comments on other sites and some here are giving me pause, though. Everyone is mentioning the crappy tint of the 70.2. Maybe I won't be an early buyer after all.

Two weeks left in October...duh duh duh!

Last edited:

moozooh

Enlightened
Product page is up, max brightness 3000 lm as expected. No runtimes yet.

Notes on the new info:
— Slow strobe still at H1 brightness, which at 3k lumen is completely useless and even ill-advised... Oh well. :(
— M1 got brighter, M2 dimmer across the board.
— All High modes are significantly brighter, all Low modes significantly dimmer. Great!
— Judging by H2c (945 lm) still being PID-controlled, it doesn't look like the light will stabilize above 1000 lm (and maybe even above 900) unless all High modes have different temperature targets for the PID. I'm not actually sure this is the case—maybe somebody with a recent-ish SC600 and an infrared thermometer can confirm this hypothesis? Basically what you need to do is to turn the light on at the lowest PID-controlled mode, wait for it to reach the thermal equilibrium and mark the temperature value, then repeat the same for H1.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Dec. 14 ship...that'll be a rough wait!

p.s. They're selling the Samsung INR21700-40T for $13.99. I'll go with that if I get this light since HKJ said in his review "It is a very good high current and capacity cell and looks to be one of the best at the current time in this size."

Last edited:

Nichia!

Banned
I think this one is pretty weak. I mean look at the older models the plus series is 2000+ Lumens

They are using the latest and the greatest and the brightest led (xhp70.2) with the latest and greatest battery and only puts out 3000 Lumens??

I was expecting 4000-5000 Lumens out of this one. I hope they change it and make it brighter than 3000 lumens..

NPL

Enlightened
I think Zebralight is more about sustainable lumens. Even at 3000 I bet it steps down really quickly.

markr6

Flashaholic
I got close but chickened out. $130 for another light and battery...can't do it. Maybe after some feedback from initial guinea pigs.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got close but chickened out. $130 for another light and battery...can't do it. Maybe after some feedback from initial guinea pigs.

Yeah, got a SC600w Mk IV Plus 18650 XHP50.2 Neutral White Flashlight today instead. If you are going that large, have to go more powerful for me. It hits a dead zone for me at that size and output. Just this weird unscientific ratio in my head says it doesn't work for the size/weight/output.

holygeez03

Enlightened
I'm thinking about having my wife pre-order it for me as a xmas gift... I will also need a new charger as I'm fairly certain I have the older i4 that will not charge 21700... should I get a newer i4 or is there something better in the same price range?

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like a great little light to me, and only slightly bigger than my SC600 IV Plus (which I love), which gives me hope that it will still be pocketable, and, the increased mass will likely help with heat dissipation.

I REALLY appreciate that ZEBRALIGHT listened to us about wanting to go back to having extreme low levels on their higher output lights. Only going down to .2 lumens is the only thing that bothers me with my SC600 IV Plus, so having this light not only go up to 3000 lumens on high, but more importantly, go down to .04 lumens on the low end, has made it extremely attractive to me.

The fact that it's got a high CRI 5000 K LED is icing on the cake. I'll customize the tint with a filter, as I do with all my lights. I just checked, and it looks like the new longer 21700 cell will fit my old charger just fine, so that's not an issue.

So, I'm in.... ordered and waiting : )

justanotherguy

Enlightened
I think this one is pretty weak. I mean look at the older models the plus series is 2000+ Lumens

They are using the latest and the greatest and the brightest led (xhp70.2) with the latest and greatest battery and only puts out 3000 Lumens??

I was expecting 4000-5000 Lumens out of this one. I hope they change it and make it brighter than 3000 lumens..

whats the point of that, exactly? No way it can sustain that for long, the very reason I am going to flip my emisar....

All wow, no pow... or something like that...It's like having the biggest **** but only for 10 seconds...

;)

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah there's no way such a small host could handle 5000 lumens for more than 10 seconds. Not worth it at all. With 3000 lumens out of 70.2, PID might kick in smoothly after like 30 seconds to a minute. Also keep in mind that it's a 90+ cri emitter, so it's even less efficient than the 70 cri 6500k emitters that give the big numbers. It might be able to sustain a 1000 lumen rating-- might. I'm thinking only 7-800 lumens though.

Swede74

Enlightened
sc700.jpg

Hefty!

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah there's no way such a small host could handle 5000 lumens for more than 10 seconds. Not worth it at all. With 3000 lumens out of 70.2, PID might kick in smoothly after like 30 seconds to a minute. Also keep in mind that it's a 90+ cri emitter, so it's even less efficient than the 70 cri 6500k emitters that give the big numbers. It might be able to sustain a 1000 lumen rating-- might. I'm thinking only 7-800 lumens though.

In normal use, I've never had a problem with my SC600w IV Plus maintaining 700 lumens. So, this light should be able to do at least that.

markr6

Flashaholic
Here's my animated gif attempt to compare size with the SC600. 28mm tube vs 25mm. 10mm longer.

S700d_SC600.gif

I dunno...I may talk myself into this one.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah 21700 isn't that much larger compared to 18650, yet it has capacities or discharge capabilities akin to a 26650. It's a great cell format.

The tint shift on the 70.2 still won't make me buy it though. If there were an XHP35 HI in one...still maybe not, because SC600 MK3/4 is about as large of a light I want in my pocket.

Keitho

Enlightened
I'm surprised they grew the head diameter. I was expecting that they would keep the same or similar reflector and lens diameter, and just grow the battery tube.

I still threw my wallet at the pre order...poor thing didn't deserve that kind of abuse...