Zebralight

LJUSMC

Newly Enlightened
I bought a Zebralight SC52 a few years ago and love it. At the time, it was the latest model... an upgrade from the SC51.

Has their been a newer model since then? Or is the SC52 still the latest? I was thinking of picking up a 2nd SC52 but if there's a newer kid on the block I may look into it.

And, I can't remember where I ordered mine from.. I'm getting old. Where's a good place to pick one up?

Thanks!

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened
Current models have an XM L2 emitter. I'm not sure if it would be an upgrade for you but I do love my SC52w with 14500 cell. I get my ZLs and batteries directly from their website.

markr6

Flashaholic
Yeah just a slight bump up in lumens with the SC52 > SC52 L2.

I don't know if I'd call the SC5 OP an "upgrade", but it's worth looking in to. 500lm on an AA Eneloop is pretty impressive. 3min runtime before stepdown too. I still prefer the SC52 because the SC5 sure is a fat heavy chunk! You just have to decide which one you like better. SC52 vs SC5 has been beaten to death, but it really comes down to personal preference. They're both great 1xAA lights.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SC52, SC52 L2, and SC5 have all been discontinued as they have an SC5 MKii coming out. I discovered this the other night when I was looking into getting my first Zebralight and started noticing just about everywhere I looked they were out of stock. Went to Zebra's website and checked their product comparuson chart and found them listed as discontinued. There is a thread somewhere here on CPF regarding the new SC5 MKii

DMS1970

Enlightened
I've had them all, and all I can say is, the only difference between the sc52 and sc63 is exactly 1/2" in length. If you can live with that, you'll get a lot more power and a ton more run time with the sc63.

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened
I've had them all, and all I can say is, the only difference between the sc52 and sc63 is exactly 1/2" in length. If you can live with that, you'll get a lot more power and a ton more run time with the sc63.

That and of course the battery type. I enjoy my 18650 lights but it's good to know there are always easily accessible AAs to run the 52s. I didn't know they were discontinued. All the more reason for me to get one more.

markr6

Flashaholic
The SC52, SC52 L2, and SC5 have all been discontinued as they have an SC5 MKii coming out. I discovered this the other night when I was looking into getting my first Zebralight and started noticing just about everywhere I looked they were out of stock. Went to Zebra's website and checked their product comparuson chart and found them listed as discontinued. There is a thread somewhere here on CPF regarding the new SC5 MKii

I thought they just dropped the SC5 for the SC5 OP? They figured they were too similar.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Markr6 you are correct, my apologies.

Actually now that I look again apparently only the SC52 has been discontinued. The SC52 L2 and SC5 OP are botj shown as available again.

Last edited:

MX421

Enlightened

I've got both and although i agree that the SC63(w) has much better runtime, that 1/2" difference is significant with lights so small. Depending on carry conditions, the 1/2" difference can be more portable, but, like you, for most times i carry, the 1/2" difference is usually not an issue. Not only that, but the SC63 only will take short 18650 cells (ie unprotected). some have a bigger issue with the last point.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SC63 also only comes in cool or neutral white with no high CRI or floody options. The NW version is also notorious for having an ugly greenish tint on most samples.

Last edited:

Need a Light?

Newly Enlightened
The tube diameter is very different between 5X and 6X series. Even my sc32w is far less comfortable than my sc52w l2 just because the 52 has such a narrow tube that it disappears way more in a pocket. 52 I can forget I'm carrying, less so the 62. Weight is also very different.

Sc52 and sc52l2 are so similar I wouldn't get the l2 for an 'upgrade' as much as a newer slightly better spare. But an unbelievable light nonetheless.

I say if you're not against it try a zebra in 18650 flavor, they're really special.

Witterings

Enlightened
Every time I make my mind up and am about to buy one of their lights they discontinue it ... was just about to order the SC52 ... darn.

Cobraman502

Enlightened
Current models have an XM L2 emitter. I'm not sure if it would be an upgrade for you but I do love my SC52w with 14500 cell. I get my ZLs and batteries directly from their website.

Just orders some 14500s for my ZL sc52w should be here tomorrow. I was contemplating going with a non ZL battery for price reasons but figured if it didn't fit well there goes my savings. So just ordered 2 from ZL. I can't get over how nice the beam and tiny are for the sc52w L2. Amazing. I feel like all other UIs are inferior to ZL for edc purposes and just everyday use. I'm looking forward to seeing the performance from the 14500s

markr6

Flashaholic
Every time I make my mind up and am about to buy one of their lights they discontinue it ... was just about to order the SC52 ... darn.
It is on "backorder" though. Which I don't understand. Kind of like the SC62 which has been on backorder, but the new SC63 has been out for a long time. Are they still making SC62s?

Regardless, you can buy it and the worst that can happen is they refund you if they don't make any more.

p.s. if you look around, you'll find some places online stocking the SC52

Cobraman502

Enlightened
Unless you really care about the cell type AA over 18650 for availability get the sc63w. The 1/2 is in most cases never going to bother you. Only reason I got AA (sc52w) was specifically for the AA/14500 comparability. I already have an SC600 MK III HI which is AMAZING. I was carrying the sc600 mk iii hi as my edc but found the sc52w to be more comfortable with the smaller profile. I didn't really care that I was dropping lumens. I thing the sc63w is probably the best of both worlds size/power. I hope the customizable UI that is rumored by ZL to be out this year is on the sc64. I will gladly purchase.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Why the delay on the cool white sc64? I'd like to try one. I'd probably prefer the HI CRI model but I'd really like to try the max lumen model.

markr6

Flashaholic
Why the delay on the cool white sc64? I'd like to try one. I'd probably prefer the HI CRI model but I'd really like to try the max lumen model.

I check occasionally just out of curiosity. I'm pretty sure it was in stock last week, along with the SC64w. I think these are selling well.

recDNA

Flashaholic
64w has been in stock most of the time but not the 64 cool. Some have ordered the 64 cool when supposedly in stock and spoken of waiting for weeks. Not my cup of tea

I got my 64 but I shouldn't have wasted my money. For all practical purposes.my sc62w is just as good. The extra brightness isn't really noticeable.

Last edited: