• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

ZeroRez Family: Twisty, Shorty, & Mounty

gi.lumens

Newly Enlightened
Hello im a newbie to the hobby and i have (bought about 15yrs ago lol) SureFire Z2 combat light that needed a new tailcap boot (twisty Z41 with screw under battery spring). I used Overready instructions for the removal. Thanks for the guide. Unfortunately i cracked and striped the plastic retaining ring/disc. Where can i find a replacement in order to put my switch back to factory condition. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
We have drawers of extra parts. Just send $4 to paypal at oveready.com or ask for it with your next order - no charge.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Any zerorez mounty available?! I really need one for a host of mine lol :)
Sorry, ZRM have not been popular enough to make a 2nd batch in their current form.

We have ideas for an improved version and should have something next year.

Last edited:

stellar canuck

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I just came across the shorty bodies and zerorez tailcap, and I have a few questions. Can a zerorez tailcap fit a malkoff md2? and at the other end, can a shorty body attach to a Malkoff head?

Thanks,

Stellar Canuck

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
You won't fit a ZeroRez into a Malkoff tail, but you can fit it in a SF tail which is compatible with the Malkoff body. Can't remember the series number for the SF tails, but they are the same as the ones on 6Ps and P2X and P3X.
You may find that the ZeroRez switches need a tad more clearance it you're using a protected 18650. It tends to crush the top of the cell before it completes the circuit.
I started a thread about how to fix it here......
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?403963-ZeroRez-switches-and-Malkoff-Lights
I don't think any tubes apart from Malkoff fit the Malkoff heads, even though the SF threads are the same. The SF bodies have a rebate for the P60, the Malkoffs don't.
You can get Martin D White of this parish to cut you an MD1 tube which will allow you to use a single CR123....
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...tions-to-convert-Malkoff-MD2-to-quot-MD1-quot
I use an MD2 head with an MD1 tube, SF tail, ZeroRez Shorty and a 18500 cell, makes a nice light.
I use ZeroRez switches with Triad Tails on all my Malkoffs.
Hope that helps.
P

Last edited:

stellar canuck

Newly Enlightened
Hi Peter,

I came across the MD1 a few months ago, and asked a lot of naive questions of folks. Thanks to their kind answers, some of which may have been from you, I went ahead and got an MD2 with the new wider opening mdx head and a Sportac P60 2 level triple nichia drop in. The Sportac fits the new head perfectly - its just wide enough for the triple, and a fantastic light. The only Malkoff that fits that new head currently is the throw head that normally goes with it, and I'll get that some other time, giving me both options - throw or spill. In the meantime, I ordered an MD1 body from Martin around mid-November. Still waiting eagerly for it. When it comes, I plan to use it with the tail cap and head from the MD2, and an IMR 18350 battery. I have two brightness levels now, and once I get a hi/low ring, I will have 4 brightness levels. I have found for a pocket flashlight, while I use it a lot, I don't need to use it for much time each time I use it, and not often at the brightest level, so the 18350 battery should be fine.

While waiting for my MD1, I came across the ZeroRez tail cap, and thought it might be nice to put it on the MD1 and get even shorter, or conversely, be able to use an 18500, like you did.

Forgive me for bothering you for further details, but I think you are saying that to use the ZeroRez, I should get the ZeroRez short Z41 Brass insert, and then get a Surefire z41 tailcap, take out the spring and button, and put in the ZeroRez brass insert to make a ZeroRez tailcap that will fit a Malkoff MD1 tube?
[h=1][/h]

grr

Newly Enlightened
Do I need a o-ring between zrm switch and z41 tailcap to waterproof? Thanks!

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a word, tes.
OR normally provide an o ring which seems the same size as the ones that fit in the groove on the tail threads.

zeroreza.jpg

I've found this a bit hit and miss as it can buckle when being tightened.
I use a smaller o ring around the bit if ZR that protrudes from the cap.

zerorezb.jpg

zerorezc.jpg

Clamp it up tight and you're fine.
P

grr

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for fast and informative reply, ill add an o-ring following your advice.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Do I need a o-ring between zrm switch and z41 tailcap to waterproof? Thanks!
Yes, we recommend a 018 size

I've found this a bit hit and miss as it can buckle when being tightened.
I use a smaller o ring around the bit if ZR that protrudes from the cap.
Thanks Pete!

This shouldn't happen if the oring is installed into the tailcap (down into the corners) and then the brass is inserted naked. Both should provide a seal but may not level out at the same point.

BrightLeaf

Newly Enlightened
Sorry for replying to this old thread, but would it be possible to purchase a ZeroRez Twisty (ZRT)?

I've been looking everywhere online and can't seem to find em' anywhere...

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Sorry for replying to this old thread, but would it be possible to purchase a ZeroRez Twisty (ZRT)?

I've been looking everywhere online and can't seem to find em' anywhere...
Sorry, we custom make them and have no dealers so its not possible for google to show other options. And demand has slowed since the last run so we have no plans to make more.

If you don't need momentary, ZRS + spacer is also an option:

https://www.oveready.com/flashlight/torchlab-zerorez-shorty-z41-brass-insert-twisty-15mm/