Favorite Incandescent/s

mahlonge

Newly Enlightened
Favorite incandescent? Reasons?

I am starting with little information about incandescents or the reasons they can compete with L.E.D.'s Please give highlights for your choices and likes/dislikes re: these models. Thanks.

mrartillery

Enlightened
Mag85. I have it in 2 different formats, but they're are many variations to which you can use the 1185. My most used is 3 D with 9aa Eneloops, very bright and a reasonable runtime.

flashfiend

Enlightened
Mag85 used with 3x17670 in tri-bored mag and FM Battery Holder, FM Bi-Pin socket, and FM Bi-Focal Reflector. Good throw and flood while having the great CRI of incan.

Philips 5761 bulb w/ FM Bi-Pin socket and 2x26500 FM Exotic Mag Body using an FM 2.5" Throwmaster. Best thrower I've got and really great beam color.

lastly

WA1111 in both a Surefire 6P Defender and a FM 2x18500 host using the FM sunlight module. Really bright and pocketable.

I carry the 6P everyday, I love the throw of the 5761 w/ the throwmaster (almost laser-like but more useful), and the Mag85 is awesome all-around (just wished I had 17670 IMRs to use them with).

I see you mention LEDs and it lloks like you want some type of comparison. Many will see this as :dedhorse: but here's my $0.02 anyways. LEDs are great because they can have great output w/ awesome efficiency and runtime but it takes some work to get them to throw as well as incans naturally do already and there are High CRI LEDs but due to design you sacrifice a lot of output.

Last edited:

robintosh

Newly Enlightened
For blasting everyone the Mag 657 is a killer light!

Hotwire it with 7 IMR (26500) cells for maximum light and flame.

It's a fairly easy build using a 6D Mag, replace the switch with an AW softstart (out of stock right now), add 7 IMR 26500 cells, 64657 bulb, aluminium reflector and boro lens and that's it.

It's a very impressive light to wow everyone and also to light up a fire! It's very floody as the filament is pretty big, but still so powerful that it will illuminate far away. It's a big light to carry around...

Robintosh

don.gwapo

Enlightened
Favorite Incandescent/s?

Eveready 2xD. The only indascents we have. Wish they have clicky rather than slide switch. But they have been reliable for many years.

flashfiend

Enlightened
You carry a 6D Mag regularly? Also isn't a 7x26500 light and the Osram 64657 a little much for someone new to incans? Sounds like a great light and I have to admit I'm still fairly new to incans but I do want to step up to bigger bulbs when regulated switches become available again. They are a great solution for big bulbs and big lights.

CDP930

Newly Enlightened
Recently purchased a Mag60 from the MP. First non-stock mag I've had and I love it. Took it out to work and completely devestated my Ultrastinger.

Almost too bright...if there is such a thing.

Now I need to find a metal reflector. I found Britelumens online that has MOP and SMO, anyone buy from them before??

robintosh

Newly Enlightened
Yeah the 6D Mag is very big to carry around everyday, but when you need the power it's a workhorse.

Others and I have tested the 64657 bulb with 6 and 7 IMR 26500 cells, and the bulb really shines with the 7th cell. With 7 cells you get around 28V, that is a nice spot to hotwire this 24V bulb. Currently one of my cells died so I'm using it with just 6 cells. Works OK, but 7 is just insanely bright and hot.

When AW switch is available again is a very easy build. Still I think that what you really want is more of a usable incan than an extreme hotwire.

Robinson

flashfiend

Enlightened
Have you considered the Fivemega Bi-Focal reflector? Not bagging on Britelumens, excellent manufacturer in his own right but I really like the Bi-Focal reflector. It makes the WA1185 bulb sing.

CDP930

Newly Enlightened
Have you considered the Fivemega Bi-Focal reflector? Not bagging on Britelumens, excellent manufacturer in his own right but I really like the Bi-Focal reflector. It makes the WA1185 bulb sing.

Well, Im not new to flashlights but fairly new to the Mag mods. I really don't know whats better than what. After all the reading I did I basically came to the conclusion that I shouldn't have it on for more than 5 minutes roughly (stop me if I'm wrong).

Bi-Focal relfector you say...I'm assuming thats one of those items that is totally awesome but one can never find?? I'll go with whatever works best, or I can find.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
Favorite incandescent? Reasons?

I am starting with little information about incandescents or the reasons they can compete with L.E.D.'s Please give highlights for your choices and likes/dislikes re: these models. Thanks.

I guess it depends on what kind of light your looking for something to carry or something blow people away. My favorites are a Surefire E2e or 6P each of which house a streamlight strion blulb with an rechargeable AW protected lithium ion battery.

computernut

Enlightened
Surefire M4, or any Surefire with a Turbo Head (ie. M3T, M4, M6, KT2, etc). It's great to be out at night and if you can see something you can throw a lot of light on it.

flashfiend

Enlightened

Monocrom

Flashaholic
SureFire M6

SureFire M4

SureFire E2E

My M6 and M4 have rechargeable options. M6 w/ custom battery carrier from our own mdocod, (3x17670). Swap out the MN21 with an LF HO-M6R. Output just a bit brighter than the stock MN21 running on six primaries. My M4 is a Leef-bodied M4. :twothumbs

E2E is fine by itself. But with the right battery and LF bulb set-up, you can turn it into a mini M3; in terms of output.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really don't have any impressive incans but the 2C Mag is probably my favorite.With the 3XCR123 mod it is reasonably bright and throws much better than most LED lights and many incans as well.You can put that mod together for less than $25 and find suitable bulbs for it in hardware or sporting goods stores.There are more capable mods for the 2C as well and you still maintain the great form factor.I also like the fact that you can get and replace the most failure prone parts(like the lens,o-rings etc.) easily for a reasonable cost.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
WE M90. With a couple of different extenders, one can use a wide variety of 9, 12 and 13V lamps. This is the lazy man's incan playpen.

It's not a hotwire mod, but rather a dependable worklight that's way solid and has decent (hr+) runtimes depending on lamp choice.

copperfox

Enlightened
ROP High in a 2C mag with AW 'C' Li-ions. All resistance fixes, FM 8.4mm MOP reflector, UCL :sssh:, Download's aluminum bulb tower. It rocks :rock:

I also love the E2E, totally stock. It has a fantastic beam, great output, and it feels great in the hand. Slightly more practical for regular usage (but with very slightly decreased beam quality) is the E2E with a lumens factory HO-E1R bulb and a 17670.