first Impressions of my new Zebralight H60

Burgess

Flashaholic
Thank you for our First-Look at this neat new headlamp.

:thanks::goodjob::kewlpics:
_

shining

Newly Enlightened
I bought this lamp mainly for night time reading as I find overhead lamps blinding. I find that the best level for this is 45lm, 380 lux@40 cm. By the way, this is the level of lighting normally found in libraries. I hoped i would use 15lm level for reading and, indeed, I can read at 15 or even 3 lumens if I need to, it's just not as comfortable. It's a pity they did not implement 45lm level using constant current as due to the PWM it is only 60% as efficient as 15lm level (50h*15lm/10h*45lm). With 15lm's efficiency we would get 16h:40m at 45lm...

You cannot run with this lamp as it will bounce. It would be better if the thickness of the holder between forehead and the lamp were less so that the center of gravity is closer to your head.

I have 2 TrustFire blue 2500mAH batteries, one is a very tight fit: have to shake the light violently to remove it, another has plenty of space.

I can see that the shiny reflector in my light is level on one side and protruding 0.2mm on the other. Otherwise the machining is fine.

some Lux readings Lux@0,4m (@1m the low levels are to low for right results because the floody beam)

H50 8/45/240
H30 22/130/720
H60 8/20 / 105/380 / 900/1520

Last edited:

Paul

Newly Enlightened
It's a pity that the headlamp is bouncy when running. I was thinking however that it would be a fairly easy DIY project to make a strap running over your head, like many heavier headlamps as the PT Apex and Petzl Myo Belt XP has. Does those of you that has got the headlamp have any opinion on if that would help?

Another option to make it more running-compatible is to make a external battery pack as shorty66 suggested in my thread about headlamps for cold weather.
As I am a completely battery-noob I'll just throw in a quick question about such mod: Would it be possible/smart to use AA batteries in such pack even though the lamp uses 18650 batteries? Of course connected in series so the voltage is around 3.6V

Silly question, but nonetheless: Is it possible to switch between the GITD holder and the black holder on the headband?

Last edited:

Shorty66

Enlightened
Of course it is possible to switch the olders. Wouldn make any sense to deliver to variants of holders if not.
The holders are made of stretchy silicon and can be pulled of.

I do not have any problems with using the light as headlight, though im not running with it.
If you use it only while walking, it doesn't turn around and its not bouncing at all.
I think you could stop the bouncing by tightening the headband.
I am going to make a pocketclip and an alternate headbandholder of steelwire myself. Should be an easy thing to do.
Made of steelwire, the pocketclip and headbandholder should be much smaller and perhaps lighter. I have to test though, if the headbandholder made of steelwire will caus pain on your head or not.

shining

Newly Enlightened
There is no problems when walking but you are aware of lamp's presence. You cannot tighten the headband to stop bouncing - the strap is too far away from the lamp's center of gravity. But, I think you can attach a top strap to the lamp itself or between it and the holder in the front, to the headband in the back.

Of course it is possible to switch the olders. Wouldn make any sense to deliver to variants of holders if not.
The holders are made of stretchy silicon and can be pulled of.

I do not have any problems with using the light as headlight, though im not running with it.
If you use it only while walking, it doesn't turn around and its not bouncing at all.
I think you could stop the bouncing by tightening the headband.
quote]

ichoderso

Enlightened
Here some other pictures,
first without switch cap

DSCF2197.jpg

with other Lights with same size (CR123 and AA /AAA Lights:

DSCF2198.jpg

DSCF2199.jpg

DSCF2200.jpg

DSCF2201.jpg

DSCF2202.jpg

and with other 18650 lights:

DSCF2203.jpg

DSCF2204.jpg

DSCF2205.jpg

DSCF2206.jpg

ichoderso

Enlightened
will update my firs post with this:
because I wrote the light is heavy for running, this is correct, but not the light is the reaon, the batterie is to heavy, dont forget, we speak about a 18650 Batterie!!!

H60 - 35g - absolutly light wight for this size:twothumbs
18650 - 47g!!!
complete 82 gramm,
for comparison, my new lightmania "Sgt Burkett",
a small 18650 twisty light is 108 gramm!!!
without batterie 60g

Twisty 60g
H60 35g!!

ichoderso

Enlightened
Who can make a comparison light H30 vs H60 with beamshots ?

both have the same beam!

not visible difference between H30 max and H60 high (110l)...only a liitle bit side by side....
and the H60 is brighter on max/turbo with 190Lumen...

maybe I make beamshots...

Jens

Shorty66

Enlightened
I think, the problem with the light bouncing while running is caused by the silicone Holder. There is just to much silicone between headband and lamp.
It would be much better, if the holder would be made like the Pocketclip: Just a little silicone to hold the lamp and some Wire for the head band to go through. That would bring the headlamp a lot nearer to the head of the one who is carrying the lamp and therfore stop or at least reduce the bouncing.

Well, you just have to be an inventor :)
I just made a little Modifikation to the holder and now it sits bombproof :)
I can even save some of the silicone and make it a lot smaller that way. Time to do the modifikation: about 5 minutes.

toolsnv9.jpg

topdownou5.jpg

sideviewdr2.jpg

attachedaf9.jpg

I just pushed the idea even further and cut off the holes wich hold the headband from the black holder.
That way the whole thing becomes much smaller and is even nearer to the head. Any bouncing at all, even when jumping around ;-)

cutoffyk0.jpg

The second Mod I did a few hours ago was altering the headband. I removed one of the black brackets and shortened the Band about 10cm:

cutoffbandke1.jpg

I fastened the band at just one bracket like you fasten your climbing harness:

bandmodmn5.jpg

These two mods save alot of space when packing up the headlight and exaclty 5g of weight (including the added wire)

@zebralight: If you would like to use any of these modifikations just do. I would appriciate it :)

Last edited:

ichoderso

Enlightened
great shorty, must try it if I have a bit time...

but found another problem:
some of my 18650 are not fot, just my AW.
The most protected with the "round pole" are not fit, the 18650 with flat + pole are fit.
my AW is 67,4mm and aprox. 1mm to long....it's possible, if I turn/close the tailcap with more power, that it will be run, but I would not damage the spring or batterie and thats why I don't try it....
No problem for me, I have enough "shorter" 18650(most unprotect), but maybe for others....

shorty, can you confirm that???

Shorty66

Enlightened
I got the blue Trustfire 18650s with 2500mah protect. These are 67,5mm long and are quite a tight fit. the spring is very tensioned. Though, as i have no plans to ever use unprotcted cells, i have no problem with the spring beeing deformed to fit the relativly long batterys.
I really have to turn the tailcap with quite a bit of power to get the light working.

I now modded the GITD holder, too. It just works perfectly and i see no reason in staying with the pocketfilling big silicone holder...

ichoderso

Enlightened
ok...here are some beamshots from this light:
all photos "free Hand" in our small cellar room, camera S100FS,1,6, F2,8,ISO200, looked white balance

DSCF2223.jpg

first H60 with lowest Low 0,5lumen

DSCF2233.jpg

15 lm

DSCF2234.jpg

45 lm

DSCF2235.jpg

110 lm

DSCF2236.jpg

190 lm

DSCF2237.jpg

H30 max with 80 lm

DSCF2238.jpg

H501 high Q3-5A LED 80 lm

DSCF2870.jpg

and last H50 max with Q5 and 66 lm and wider floody beam (120deg.)

DSCF2239.jpg

Last edited:

ichoderso

Enlightened
Sorry, out of toppic, but I can't other:
one of my P7 flashlights with the same camera settings:twothumbs

DSCF2241.jpg