"Black Star" triple SST-90 Elephant II @ 6000 Lumens, D2Flex added

Fichtenelch

Enlightened
Re: "Black Star" triple SST-90 Elephant II @ 6000 Lumens

Holy S**t!!!!!!!!!

That was my first thought when i saw the pictures...Absolutely awesome!

congrats,:twothumbs

first multi ssr-90 flashlight of the world, and new world record :faint:

WOW 7.56 amp x 4.2v x 3 = 95W :faint:

this flashlight must be really really hot we will need find somewhere bigger heatsinks for these monsters

were you buy the ssr 90 gn100?????

I'm sorry, but i'm not sure if your calculation is correct, i don't think that the voltage stays at 4.2V with the load of over 7 amps...what kind of battery was used? Anyway, still impressive ;)

Last edited:

moviles

Enlightened

I'm sorry, but i'm not sure if your calculation is correct, i don't think that the voltage stays at 4.2V with the load of over 7 amps...what kind of battery was used? Anyway, still impressive ;)

Luminus_Phlatlight_SST-90_Lumens_Ch.gif

7.59 x 3.785 x 3 = 85w 7.59 x 4.2 x 3 =95w

with same vf led:

the real power of leds will be around 86w

the total power (leds+ power losed in wires, switch, contacts...) will be 86-95w

we cant calculate the exact total power of flashlight (we don't know the resistance of wires, switch, contacts and internal resistance of batteries) ... maybe around 90w

Last edited:

Hill

Enlightened

Overdog,

Congrats on the first triple ssr-90 build. I was wondering who was going to be the first!

That sucker must get really hot. You might want to think about a driver to step down the output and make it more usable. But for a first build, it's awesome!!

I love these powerhouses, but my only complaint is I like a lot of throw. Hopefully we will see some more optics to improve throw sometime soon.

Hill

Cosmo7809

Enlightened

Very very nice!

I wish one day I could build up to the confidence to make one of those!

overdog

Enlightened

Thank you all very much for nice words!!!
@ QtrHorse & Hill: I have some Ledil Lily-S on order from Fred- he´s waiting for the supplier, but I did not want to wait any longer and Fred helped me and sended some ledils for P7 which I tried to modify for SSR-90- As soon as the Lily´s arrive I´ll post some comparison beamshots.

..and I really think about putting in a D2Flex to make this thing little more usable- before I built this light I expected some current draw from 3x AW IMR at about 4Ah- but never 7,5- I measured one time above 8,2Ah when I pushed the wire a little harder to the batteryholder, but I was not able to take a photo- one or two more hands missing... I really thought about putting in 4x AW IMR direct to 3x SSR-90 to get hopefully the same result as I got from 4x 1,2V NiMH´s direct to one emittter- But as I saw the current from 3 AW´s I forgot everything about my plan to put in a 4th :duck:!
best regards,
Steffen.

Last edited:

a2gtinut

Newly Enlightened

I have to meet with you next time I come to Hessen.

overdog

Enlightened

Today I found some time to put in a D2Flex to make this light more useable- on low mode it is still bright enough to walk in darkness and see enough, and if necessary, you can have full power.... I ran the light meanwhile for over 2 minutes on high, it gets really hot, but after about 1 minute temperature does not incline any more, still nothing got damaged. I made a short video with my N95 cellphone cam, not the best quality, but still enough to see... :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHEXz0g2iB4

Thanks for watching & best regards,
Steffen.

wquiles

Flashaholic

Today I found some time to put in a D2Flex to make this light more useable- on low mode it is still bright enough to walk in darkness and see enough, and if necessary, you can have full power.... I ran the light meanwhile for over 2 minutes on high, it gets really hot, but after about 1 minute temperature does not incline any more, still nothing got damaged. I made a short video with my N95 cellphone cam, not the best quality, but still enough to see... :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHEXz0g2iB4

Thanks for watching & best regards,
Steffen.

Great little video - awesome light!.

I feel that the D2Dlex is such an understated driver - not a lot of people realize how useful it is. Your use of the driver is perhaps the coolest one yet :thumbsup:

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's awesome!!!

overdog

Enlightened

Great little video - awesome light!.

I feel that the D2Dlex is such an understated driver - not a lot of people realize how useful it is. Your use of the driver is perhaps the coolest one yet :thumbsup:

Thank you, Will!
to my mind none of my bright lights would have any use without the ability to be dimmable- I am interested in how much more volts and amperes the D2Flex can handle without getting damaged for coming projects? Anyone made some experiences?

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!! :huh::huh:

I think that sums it up. Great build!
The D2Flex makes a 3XSST90 a USABLE light! Think about that statement in the context of the current state of LED and flashlight technology...just amazing! That it can be a walking light, a "hey what's that light" or a "I need to vaporize this incoming column of armor" light is a stunning achievement.

wquiles

Flashaholic

I am interested in how much more volts and amperes the D2Flex can handle without getting damaged for coming projects? Anyone made some experiences?
One of the best things about these drivers is that we have the designer (George) available to us. I routinely ask him about a particular project/application before I start, to make sure I have no surprises. Just sent George an email - he almost always replies the same day :D

Stephen7372

Newly Enlightened
What torch did you use for the base, it looks like a Mag lite something. I really want to make one of these please could you link to places where you could buy the bits. Or sell me a kit. Or better still just sell me one :)

Latest posts