Spyderco Knife Fans - Please help me choose

DavidD

Newly Enlightened
My wife wants to get me a knife, $30-40 price range. I think the Jester & Ladybug are nice, but at 2 1/2 inch (closed) kinda small. The first time I looked at their web site (few months back), I immediately liked the look/function of the Native, but at $75, more than I wanted to pay. But since certain Wal-Marts are now carrying them for $40...

The other 'larger' one - my wife likes the look of it too, is the Flight (stainless steel handle). It looks sweet! And at only $30, the price is right too.

My problem is that I've never held either one. The nearest Wal-Mart that has the Native is over an hour away. I only know they have it because I called them all until I found one. The Native is not quite 4 inch (closed) which seems about right for the pocket without being too large. The Flight is larger at 4 5/8 inch (closed). This seems large. However, pre-Fenix L1P, I EDC'd a River Rock 2AAA, which is right at 4 1/2 inches - basically the same as the Flight and it didn't seem large at all. BTW, my hands are extra-large+ for gloves and such.

I don't know anything about the difference between the two steels, or the usefulness between the handle materials. Flight is 8Cr12MoV, the Native is CPM-S30V. The Flight has a stainless steel handle, the Native has the FRN handle. The Flight looks elegant but still 'manly', while the Native looks very robust.

This is for EDC, but not needed for any specific job related daily use. Just limited to normal knife needing activities.

lunardelite

Newly Enlightened
Go with the Native. You won't be disappointed. Good steel, nice shape, very edc-able. Cheap at NGK.

Santelmo

Enlightened
That 1 hr.+ ride would be worth it if you could spare it for the Native. There was a recent thread extolling it's highly-functional design and excellent bang-for-the-buck.

Personally, I'm not too fond of all-metal handles beacause when water, moisture, blood or temperature extremes (too hot or too cold, as in the winter) comes into play, grip integrity and comfort maybe compromised. Asthetically, it would also be prone to scratches and marring.

Last edited:

sotyakr

Enlightened
The Flight is part of Spyderco's Byrd line. They're a lower priced, Chinese-made but good quality, sub-brand of knives intended for the "entry-level" (for lack of a better term) market. For the difference in price ($10), the Native is the real deal, and (IMO) worth the drive.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't know of anything that compares, functionally, with the Native in that price range. I edc either the Native or Salt, both without clips. The Salt is a little lighter and has a very functional blade shape. Not pretty, but cuts good.

CLHC

Flashaholic
How about a Harpy, Delica or the Dragonfly? Those may fit your requirements. Although I don't think price wise. . .

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

philiphb

Newly Enlightened
Have her go to Walmart and get the Native for $40 bucks. I have the Walmart Native and a Ladybug ($15.00 ebay). Ladybug sits on my keyring and the Native is always close at hand. In the CPF style have her spend the $55 and get both!:devil:

DavidD

Newly Enlightened
Well, with 6 votes for the Native and zero for the Flight, sounds like it's a no-brainer for the Native.

I didn't realize the Flight was part of a 'cheaper' line. I'd much rather have the full Spyderco quality.

Thank you all for your valuable input.

AtomicX

Newly Enlightened
My personal fav for EDC is the CRKT Crawford Casper folder. EMS has them for about 48 bucks... It's light, rugged, smooth...I just can't say enough about how I enjoy this one... check it out for yourself before you choose :naughty:

CLHC

Flashaholic
I saw that Spyderco Native at Walmart today and wanted to check it out—But the people working there were not helpful. . .That's too bad, since I'm a tad bit partial to Spydercos.

blacksmithtech

Newly Enlightened
David,

I am a big fan of Spyderco. The Native is great! I carry a Military on the right and a Native on the left. I rotate my Delicas also as needed. I like to mix up my EDC knives. So far I have 2 Militarys, 1 Harpy, 3 Delicas, 1 Spydercard, 2 Natives, 3 Crickets, 2 Police models and I love them all. I personally love the Seki City Steels and try to pick up steel in G2 or ATS 55, these seem to get wicked sharp and hold an edge longer for me.

Hope this helps - take care.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a Centofante III? I love mine. Great slicer, not a prybar. The blade hump's a little awkward, but other than that it's great.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Native at that price is almost a no-brainer.

But from my experience, call the MallWart store first.

They often have a sign at the counter showing pictures of a selection of knives, and then have a small notice that not all of their stores carry all the knives listed at the counter. I've been disappointed more than once when asking them about knives. Why not just cover over the pictures of the knives they don't sell? Maybe their policy makes sense to someone, but not me (and that's just something they do that I don't like, but that's my two cents worth anyway). However, of course, that particular store near you might well be different.

I just suggest you call to be sure that it is available there before you drive.

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Native is a nice knife, I personally carry a Delica and Yojimbo as two of my EDC's. I generally have 3 to 4 knives on me at any given time each with it's own dedicated purpose. Delica is very nice as an EDC if you want a good knife in the price range you mentioned.

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
An another reason for the WalMart Native is it's made in "Golden Colorado USA Earth". (Not all Nativres are, tho)

CLHC

Flashaholic
BIGIRON said:
An another reason for the WalMart Native is it's made in "Golden Colorado USA Earth". (Not all Nativres are, tho)

Well I'll be. . .But that's worth noting. Thanks BIGIRON! I must say. . .

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm carrying a Native while I try to figure out what knife to get to replace my Benchmade 940 Ti that was stolen.

To tell the truth, apart from the fact that the Native doesn't have metal liners to give it a tad more strength, I would probably just live with it.

It is VERY well made, strong, and the blade shape is more functional than I expected.

It also is about the perfect size.

Bill