HF HID Vertical Use OK?

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
No mention was made to avoid pointing the Harbor Freight HID straight up and by observing the lamp it doesn't seem that it would be physically stressed. Is this the same lamp type (D2S?) that was mentioned in another thread that should be used close to horizontal only?

As a newbie to the personal HID scene I will appreciate any info. In commercial applications I know it's better (for some HIDs) to use a specifically horizontal rated lamp rather than a universal type for longer life and lumen maintenance.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no idea what the long term affects of pointing the HF/Costco HID straight up in the air. I can only relate my experience.

I have used my Costco HID as a beacon a number of times. I just set it on the ground, turn it on, and walk away. I always start out with a fully charged battery, and just let it run till the light goes out.

So far, I have not noticed any adverse affects.

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ultimately, use at more than about 15 degrees from the intended burn axis and orientation is going to impact lamp performance and life. However in most portable applications, these lamps have sufficiently long lives that the rest of the light such as the SLA's are likely to give out long before the impact on lamp life becomes an issue!

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
Most HID lamps, like the D2S bulbs in the Costco and H-F lights, are designed to be operated within a moderate range from horizontal, which is due to the heat being excessively concentrated on the "Pinched" part of the arc chamber when pointed vertically. This can cause long term thermal stress on a physical weak spot, and over time there is a risk of explosion due to overheated/altered tempered glass envelope. It wont be overnight but I've had explosions if Mags before that made me change my shorts, dont want any explosions if I can help it. No matter how durable tempered glass, when the breaking point is exceeded the destruction involved is not ever pretty or subtle.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies. So, Lunar, you're suggesting perhaps that in the horizontal position the lamps cools better due to convection and that when vertical the heat may concentrate in the glass, weaking it? Please forgive my ignorance but I'm assuming this has proven to be the case and lamp mfgs state the same?

I noticed that in my HF the inner part of the long, short arc, lamp, closest to the reflector, glows orange after shut down no matter the position used

Again, thanks.

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good point. Exploding high pressure light bulbs need to be taken seriously.

I never point my lights straight up for any long periods but have used an X990 vertical for long periods directed at camp umbrela underside. Makes an incredible area light in that mode. Still working after 2 years of steady duty.

Floating Spots

Enlightened
The post was here where this is mentioned.
X990
I was wondering about this too, so I'll listen intently.

Along those same lines, does anyone know how long to wait before restriking the HF HID or the X990?
Does one only need to wait until the envelope stops glowing or until its fully cooled?
Any good rules of thumb?