21w HID $330

Xe54

Enlightened
CHC said:
That's that BrightStar/AELight HID that some of the members here have.

I didn't think AELight and Brightstar were the same light?

Abbey_Lad

Newly Enlightened
Wasn't someone going to do a side by side comparison of the AElight and the Brightstar, so that we could all make our choices on which to buy. What ever happened to that??

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apparently no one has both :D
And between units of the same brand, there seems to be quite a lot of variants as well.

In our GB, it seems that some have a better hotspot than others and I have directly compared to a friend's Brightstar (bought 1 yr back though, seldom used) and his beam is more yellowish and has a weaker hotspot. Maybe his batteries are "old"?

They are probably very close in light output at least. Quality wise and longevity, that we can't really do a side by side comparison. Feedback from various sources should suffice. So far it seems all lights are doing well unless there are members who are not reporting.

I only read about one member who dropped his brightstar and it had some problems. That's expected cuz its so darn heavy!

Last edited:

Abbey_Lad

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Ledcandle for the update.

As I'm based in Europe I suppose the one offering a 1 yr warranty would be my best option, if I remember correctly that would be AElights unless I've got it wrong anyone update me on this and the prices for both?

Lunarmodule

Enlightened
I found an iteration of the Powerlight known as the Darkbuster lantern style 21W HID light with 1350 lumens for only $299.95 at Battery Space here with integral rechargeable LiIon 4400mah battery. It is intended as a dive light but has a pistol style grip included. As someone who toted around UK Light Cannon 100s for a fair amount of time on dry land over the last 3 years you get used to the size of the light, and it certainly is significantly less than half the weight of an Acro, only 3 pounds. Size is 7" x 4". Comes with 12V and 120V AC chargers and failers/diffusers. Great value it seems.

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
The AE Powerlight is a terrific light in the same price range ($300). It even puts up a good fight against its much bigger brother, the PeakBeam MaxaBeam. Battery lasts much longer than 2 hours. The only negative is that type of bulb takes a good 30 seconds to power up fully.

DSCN3708.JPG