My new WA1111 in process

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got through with the body of the light.

Finned Head for heat dissapation and looks:)

Bored 2-channel for 2, 18650 Li-Ions

USL style socket to Hold the WA1111

10-amp Tail switch

Lop Reflector & UCL to top it off

My only problem is the 18650 packs I purchased protection circuit is under rated and will not power the lamp. The Cells are good for 5amp discharge. I may use the cells unprotected. I need to see how the 1111 lamp looks at 5 volts I hope it's dimm anyone know?

Also what do you guys think off adding say 5 grooves centered on the body??

Mac

IMG_1679-vi.jpg

IMG_1683-vi.jpg

IMG_1689-vi.jpg

IMG_1691-vi.jpg

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
There you go again Mac! NICE! By the way what's a "USL style socket"? I'm still in learning mode here. Is akin to Kiu's high-temp socket?

Plus a five-groover would be interesting to see!

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice indeed. Glad to see you still moved forward with the light. What is the deal with the socket that you mentioned to hold the bulb? I too was bummed to find out about the protection circuit and the shortcomings of it. Oh well, maybe we will find another solution.

Thanks.

Curtis

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased the socket from Modamag when he had his big sale. Basically it's slug of aluminum with the bigger ceramic holder for the bi pin lamps. It's fully adjustable up and down and locks into position with a screw.

Mac

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well It looks like I'll just add a second protection PCB to my pack and it will give me the 4amps to supply to the WA1111 lamp. I talked to the MFG and he said shortly they will upgrade there protection PCB to a higher amperage draw.

Mac

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mac,

Have you tried pumping the switch (i.e. pressing the switch, as in momentary on, several times). This is what I have to do on my Mag85 using Pila 168A's.
This is kind of a mechanical soft start. It has the effect of warming up the filament, thereby increasing resistance and lowering the current draw.

Pila's might work because WA1111's only draw 0.2 amp more than the WA1185, but it would be right on the ragged edge.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jim that won't work. The protection circuit lists at a 5amp max discharge rate when it's really a 2.5amp. I have no idea who pulled that spec out of there rear:). For now I may wire 2 pcb's per pack so that would give me a max 5amp discharge. The Mfg plans to offer higher discharge protection PCB's soon.

Mac

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
On a fresh, but rested, charge, my Mag85 draws 3.3 amps off of 3 Pila 168A's. It won't run at all off of protected 18650's.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
JimH said:
On a fresh, but rested, charge, my Mag85 draws 3.3 amps off of 3 Pila 168A's. It won't run at all off of protected 18650's.

When do you know when to shut it off?? Does it get real dimm??

Mac

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm kind of interested as well... I'd love to have a 2C running one of the hotter bulbs but am afraid of killing my 18650s.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
cratz2 said:
I'm kind of interested as well... I'd love to have a 2C running one of the hotter bulbs but am afraid of killing my 18650s.

The New LG2400mah 18650 cells can run continuosly at 2.5c.

Mac

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
cmacclel said:
When do you know when to shut it off?? Does it get real dimm??

Mac

You don't have to worry about Pila's - they just shut down when the low voltage point is reached. The discharge is pretty flat. You'll get about 5 minutes of rapidly dimming light as a warning. Admittedly this is based on my experience - YMMV.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
So pila 168a's have a much higher dishcharge rate over the 18650's with built in protection?

The 2 Protection IC's on the same pack did not work:(

Mac

wquiles

Flashaholic
cmacclel said:
The 2 Protection IC's on the same pack did not work:(

Mac
I was afraid of that, due to my recent work on the incandecent soft start circuit. Although the steady-state current with the two circuits "would" in theory be low enough not to trigger the protection circuits, the peak current is "much" higher (at least like 10 times higher, to give you an idea). I was hoping that since this peak current is of very short duration, that your circuits would "miss" it, but it looks like they are pretty fast indeed.

The final circuit that I worked on with AWR above "might" work, but it only lowers dramatically the current spike (still 2x to 3x the steady-state value), so it does not eliminate it either, so I am not even sure it would work either as it looks like the protection circuits are reasonably fast :(

Besides using no circuit (which I really can't recommend), using an incandecent regulator with the built-in low voltage detection (like the ones AWR has posted here might be the only other alternative:

http://softstart.rouse.com leads to this thread
http://ldo-simple.rouse.com leads to that other one.
http://hotdriver.rouse.com leads to the hotdriver

Good luck - let us know what you come up with :)

Will

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
wtraymond said:
Mac,

Try one of these protection circuits available at BatterySpace.com

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=711

There is a low (<3.5amps) and high (<8.5amps) for individual cells (3.6v) and a two-cell (7.2v) PCB for medium (5amps +/- 1amp).

Good Luck!

Those 5 ampers are ones I have there like 2.5 ampers in reality:) The 8.5 amp model looks interesting but is not in stock:(

Thanks Mac