My first taste of a 1185

NotEnoughLight

Enlightened
I recently got some potted 1185s from Sinjz and they arrived today (Thanks Sinjz! You :rock: ). The batteries finished charging up and i let them rest for 20 min or so before firing the bulb up. My setup was a 2D mag with 8AA NiMH with a MOP reflector. My first impression..

For a light this size, I am amazed by the amount of throw and lumens spilling forth by the mere touch of a button. IIRC the bulb lumen was 800+ which translates to about 500+ torch lumens. BUT, remembering that another CPFer (was it modamag?) announced that the stock mag switch had enough resistance to signficantly reduce the output, i think i most probably wasn't even looking at 500+ torch lumens. Still, like i said, this is my first encounter and i am amazed (my next best experience was a tri-lux T bin. Good throw but not nearly as bright overall)

Now for some questions. Without using a 3D mag, how can i improve the output from this current setup with the same potted 1185?

1) Can i use the 8AAs straight off the charger now that i am running them at spec rather than overdriving with 9AAs? Would that gimme more light output or smoke output?

2) What kind of added advantage would a Kiu's socket with bi-pin bulbs give me over the potted bulbs besides a lower chance of having bulbs blow up? (Btw, Is it really that easy for potted bulbs to go ka-boom?)

3) Where do i sign up for the incandescent appreciation club? :naughty:

Any help would most certainly be appreciated. :D

Galiphrey

Enlightened
1) Yes, I think you would be just fine to use them right away. I doubt you would see any difference in the light output, as compared with waiting 20 minutes.

2) There may be more advantages than these, but here are some, anyway: bi-pin bulbs are easier (possible) to center within the reflector. Also, it's easier (possible?) to use a reflector with a tighter bulb hole (less light leakage). The potted bulbs have been stressed, some, by the potting process, and may have some life taken away, as a result. The potted bulbs may sometimes smoke the first time you use them. KIU's socket is better able to withstand the higher temperatures (without melting or something), and has a much lower switch resistance than the stock switch.

3) Yeah, I'm there with you, too; I was mostly into LEDs for a while, but recently am gaining an appreciation for these super-duper incans. (each has their place, of course!)

NotEnoughLight

Enlightened
Hi Galiphrey, thanks for helping out! I do agree with you that both LEDs and incans are good in their own ways. Now i see why so many CPFers are roaring about the better rendition outdoors where there may be ambient light washing out the weaker LEDs.

I was turned off incans after blowing out a few of them in the past and figured it wasn't worth the trouble getting a replacement everytime one blows. But i'm glad i came back. Now i will go to ANY trouble to get a replacement should (touch wood) my 1185s fail.

DreamScape

Enlightened
NotEnoughLight,
Welcome to the Hotwires!!

1.Your fine to use the 8AA's staraight off the charger. Will be a little whiter to start with.
2. Totally agree with Galiphrey, spot on.
3. Welcome on board and pass on the good word of incans :naughty:

litho123

Enlightened
Welcome to the "Hotwire" club :thumbsup:

Now for some questions. Without using a 3D mag, how can i improve the output from this current setup with the same potted 1185?

Use CBP1650 AA nimh cells. They deliver more voltage per cell than any other cell around. More voltage = brighter light.

2) What kind of added advantage would a Kiu's socket with bi-pin bulbs give me over the potted bulbs ...
Kiu's socket is IMO the best improvement to date.
The benefit: Less resistance! Plus Bi-pin bulbs are cheaper to purchase, more reliable than potted bulbs, and allow you to perfectly center the bulb.

... besides a lower chance of having bulbs blow up? (Btw, Is it really that easy for potted bulbs to go ka-boom?)

Having hosted a couple of GB's for WA bulbs over the years, and seen the results of some bulbs trashed during the potting process, plus various posts regarding :poof: blown potted bulbs, the concensus has established a track record of bi-pin bulbs lasting longer than potted bulbs.

NotEnoughLight

Enlightened
Dreamscape, I sure will pass the word around for all to hear and pass the light for all to see.

Litho123, you have just made me decide to get a mag just for bi-pins and add some CBPs to my arsenal. but i am so :broke: now...

CHC, thanks for the encouragement! I guess i will be moving more in the incan direction after this one light beat all of my LED lights put together. Sigh... It either means i do not have enough good quality LEDs or incans rule... for now.

Thanks for all the good advice guys!

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
you can grab my hotwire lamp rater to do your own calculations for brightness.. but an 1185 in a stock PR base and 8AAs should net you about 670/440L... pretty underperforming for the 1185.. you will get a lot more light from 7xCBP1650 cells and the 1274 lamp..

with the 8x cells though you can bump those values up to 790/510 by fixing your PR switch : http://prfix.rouse.com going from 8% underdrive to 2% underdrive.

With 7x AA and 1274 and the PR fix.. should get about 900/600L.. but with the PR fix it's possible it'll be over-voltage with CBP cells you might want to stick with underperforming cells unless you put in a driver.

With a driver.. the 8xAA pack and the 1274 is pretty much unbeatable.. oh.. w/o boring you can't get 8xCBPs into a 2D anyhow.

With a 2D it's possible to put in 9x 4/5A cells (GP2000) those will get you about 1900-1950mAH.. 35min or so of mag85 from a 2D host.. but need a 3-bore light and a custom holder you'd have to make from the likes of the 3AA->D modamag holder.. or a fivemega 3x168S->D holder (series not parallel). You can also use 9x R123 in that same host using the parallel version of the FM holder. I get about 1/2 hr of light with my 'M85' 2D mag85 host.

-awr

NotEnoughLight

Enlightened
Looks like i will be doing the fixing the switch first. So many battery options, so little time and money... Btw, thanks awr!