Streamlight TL-3 Incandescent and 17500 LiON

Flashfirstask?later

Enlightened
I would like to have this light but not so sure if I want to be feeding it 3xCR123A :p

I do not have any 17500's or charger yet but I was wondering which is best as in protected or unprotected and also is the runtime and output level being the same as if the light had fresh 3xCR123A's ?.. I see that it is said to be about 60 minutes runtime but is it a nice gradual then drop or is it a quick gradual. Also what is bulb life with the LiON's like.

Will using the 2x17500 be a problem with warranty?

I finally dropped by a store that deal with Streamlights (and along with some police/ems stuff) with the intent on getting a ProPolymer Luxeon 4AA, did not get one as he had no black ones left. I ended up leaving with a Strion as the guy gave me a tempting offer for $99.95 some 20 dollars off the sale price with reg being 139. I really like the Strion light though I'm going to take it back as I have a Maxfire that meets my needs for this output/size. I would rather have a much brighter one that is still somewhat compact such as the TL-3 Incandescent if I can get 2x17500 working fine.

looks at time... as he is half-asleep at moment...

chrisse242

Enlightened
I'm running my Tl-3 with two protected 17500 cells from www.e-lectronics.net. I also have their charger for 18650 and 17500 cells. The cells fit, but their diameter is what I consider the upper limit.
The Tl-3 runs nicely with those cells, maybe even a bit brighter than with regular cells. I just tested it, and after one hour it's still going strong, probably not at full power but I dind't see a sudden drop in output.

Chrisse

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a TL-3 that I run with 2 of AW's Protected 17500s and the DSD charger. I am completely happy with the brightness and runtime (considering the brightness and throw).

Not sure about the warranty. I don't see how anything bad could happen if you are using protected cells other than killing the bulb eventually but warranty wouldn't cover that anyway.

As to runtime, AW says you should get an hour and that sounds about right. I haven't done a straight runtime test, but I was surprised at how long it runs. I think initially the LiONs seem the same brightness as the primary 123s, but after 15 minutes, my guess is the LiONs will be brighter than the 123s would be due to I assume, less voltage sag.

Last edited:

Wrangler

Enlightened
I`ve made the same experience. 2 protected 17500`s (from AW) do a damn good job!
Don`t know about the runtime, but after 45 min it`s still pretty bright!

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto cratz2 and Wrangler. TL-3 and AW's protected 17500s and DSD charger are a beautiful combination. You won't believe the throw for its size---I can illuminate objects fairly well at about 360-375 ft.

BTW, you'll need 2 of AW's brass spacers for the 17500s to fit the DSD charger.

WhiteHot

Enlightened
Echo.. echo... I use AW's protected cells as well. I am going to be using the unprotected cells when I get my H1499 bulbs from the group buy though. The light should be crazy bright with that.

Flashfirstask?later

Enlightened
pfft now your making me want this light even more now... thanks alot guys :rant:

Just trying to make up my mind now whether to just get it for a ok price at a local store or get it online and wait awhile just to save $15cdn or so...

NextLight

Enlightened
Amazon has the deal. Frequently $47.55 Us, but I was offerred a GoldBox deal for under $45 US last week. YMMV

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
It really is a pretty sweet light. I like the Strion too, but the TL-3 is at least twice as bright... probably about 2.5 times as bright and slightly more throw. And if I'm not mistaken, they run on the same voltages so you can actually use the Strion bulb in the TL-3 for less brightness and better runtime... Though that would be blasphemy on CPF!

Get it... I promise you'll like it.
icon14.gif

Flashfirstask?later

Enlightened
Well I took back the Strion and got a TL-3. I like it though I like the Strion better in how the beam could be focused in small center. Would love to have both but it is to expensive for my needs.

The TL-3 I have has the newer round clicker instead of the more recessed flat one which what I would have preferred. But the problem I'm having now is that I can only use momentary (click and hold) as I cannot get it to turn on constant by turning the tailcap as the instructions state much like previous Strion could do.

Edit: Ok.. the nice guy at store said he will replace it for a new TL-3 and apologized for the trouble as they never had a defective TL-3 before. :grin2:

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I'll say that the TL-3, and the tactical type Streamlights in general, tend to be very well received and I can't think of many folks with complaints other than an occasional reference to a bulb that fell into the reflector... I've personally never had that happen and I've owned 2 Strions, a TL-3 and two TL-2s.

Also, just so you know, the TL-3 bulb and the Strion bulb run on the same voltage and can be used interchangeably... Strion is dimmer but longer runtime, TL-3 is brighter and less runtime.

chrisse242

Enlightened
cratz2 said:
Also, just so you know, the TL-3 bulb and the Strion bulb run on the same voltage and can be used interchangeably... Strion is dimmer but longer runtime, TL-3 is brighter and less runtime.

Are you sure about that? I always thought the strion bulb was a 3.6V Bulb for one li-ion cell? I remember a few people running a scorpion with a single pila cell and strion bulb.

Chrisse

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chrisse's right: it's a 3.6v bulb
chrisse242 said:
Are you sure about that? I always thought the strion bulb was a 3.6V Bulb for one li-ion cell? I remember a few people running a scorpion with a single pila cell and strion bulb.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a TL3 as well, and just ordered 2 protected 17500 batteries and charger from AW. I can't wait to get them in the mail!
Do you guys think that the TL3 is more powerful with the 17500 batteries, less powerful, or the same?
Runtime isn't really an issue with me (since they are rechargables) but the power is important.

WhiteHot

Enlightened
adirondackdestroyer said:
Do you guys think that the TL3 is more powerful with the 17500 batteries, less powerful, or the same?

With my crude lightmeter (my eyes) I would say that the light with new primaries is brighter for the first couple minutes of runtime (hardly noticable at all). The rechargeables hold their voltage way better though so the next hour or so of runtime is either equal to the primaries or brighter.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
WhiteHot said:
With my crude lightmeter (my eyes) I would say that the light with new primaries is brighter for the first couple minutes of runtime (hardly noticable at all). The rechargeables hold their voltage way better though so the next hour or so of runtime is either equal to the primaries or brighter.

Exactly! With the 17500s, it starts off every so slightly dimmer, but keeps its brightness longer than the primaries.