Help identifying laser from a large plotter.

DerekRH

Newly Enlightened
My uncle just gave me a laser a little over a foot long along with a power supply from an old (one of the first) laser plotter. They were throwing out the printer so he grabbed a spare replacement laser from it before they threw it out.

On the laser tube is written:

Melles Griot
Laser Division
M/N: 05-LHR-553
MFG'D: November, 1989
S/N: 8892VV

And also a separate sticker with this:

THIS COMPONENT IS INTENDED FOR EXCLUSIVE USE WITH A XEROX PRODUCT AND THEREFORE DOES NOT COMPLY WITH APPROPRIATE REQUIREMENTS OF DHEW 21 CFR, SUBCHAPTER J, PART 1040.

XEROX P/N 122E00890

On the power supply is written this information:

Melles Griot
Gas Lasers
M/N: 05-LPM-345-065
Input: 115/230 VAC
W. max: 23
Hz: 50-400
Output, KVDC: 1.70-2.45
mA: 6.5

It also gives a wiring diagram with what each wire on the connector is, 2 230 VAC wires, 1 115 VAC, and 1 ground wire.

If anyone could give me information on this laser it would be great. I was hoping that we could make holograms with it, as he used to do that when he was still in high school. So far I haven't been able to get it working, but all I've done is hook up the 115 VAC line with a power socket and the ground in the ground of an outlet.

Thanks for everyone's help. Sorry that I'm such a newb with this stuff, but I hope I can learn some from these boards.

Derek Hanson.

ks_physicist

Newly Enlightened
http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/laserhcl.htm#hclmgrd

Doesn't have the specific model, but it gives you an idea what you're looking at. 05-LHR-XXX would refer to a random polarization HENE laser. I couldn't find any information on the 05-LHR-553 specifically.

The power supply ratings make me think it's probably in the 1-3 mw range. What's the length of the tube from mirror to mirror? Eight inches or so?

Jim

DerekRH

Newly Enlightened
The laser is actually completely encased in a stainless steel tube and I can't seem to find any way of getting the guts of it out without potentially breaking something, so not sure on the length of the tube, mirror to mirror. I think I might have mentioned in the first part of the thread, but end to end the stainless tube is between 14-16 inches long. I don't have it with me, but I will measure it/take pictures tomorrow if I get a chance after work.

Out of curiosity, is this a decent laser, or from what I read @ those links given it seems it's a fairly average one? If it's only 5 mW, that's not strong correct? I tried to absorb some information from the rest of this forum, and it seems most strong lasers tend to be > 70 or so? Will it be strong enough for holograms or does anyone here mess with them?

Thanks again for everyone helping such a laser newb!

Derek

ks_physicist

Newly Enlightened
If the enclosure is 14-16" long, the tube is probably 10-12", so my (1-3mw) prediction is probably low, and dr_lava's prediction (5-10mw) is probably closer.

Even if it IS only 5mw, that is at 633nm, more apparent brightness than even the 635nm diode lasers at the same power (though only by a little bit). Beam shape is usually more predictably round (TEM00) than anything from a diode laser. This is considered very advantageous for holographic imaging.

Jim

shawndoe

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Best beam quality per dollar you can buy, but if you ever see a 100mW unit it will be a meter long or more and have a huge power supply. 99% of HeNes are under 15Mw.

Have a good one.
Shawndoe

DerekRH

Newly Enlightened
Here's my problem: I can't seem to get the laser working. From looking at the information on the power supply, I figured that it would work if I only connected the 115 VAC line and the ground, since it was printed 115/230 instead of 115 and 230. Using only a 115 line nothing is turning on, any tips?

Lasernerd

Enlightened
The Great Pacific Northwest,home of the Goonies,Sh
DerekRH said:
Here's my problem: I can't seem to get the laser working. From looking at the information on the power supply, I figured that it would work if I only connected the 115 VAC line and the ground, since it was printed 115/230 instead of 115 and 230. Using only a 115 line nothing is turning on, any tips?

Please list all the colors of the wires,I am familiar with these units
If there is 2 purple wires they need to be connected together

DerekRH

Newly Enlightened
Coming out of the power supply there are the two thick wires going to the laser tube on the left. On the right there are 2 white wires coming out as well as a yellow and green wire. All four of these wires are going to a brown connector. Also coming out of the box is a purple wire, but it just comes out 1 inch, then loops back into the box. So really it's just a loop that, for some reason or another, they decided to put outside the power supply.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The purple loop is probably there for CDRH compliance in a Class IIIb laser system. If the loop is cut, there is a brief delay from the time power is applied and the time the tube is energised and the laser beam is generated.