Question on Red Laser speckling/beam ghosting

CrazyFingers

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased an AtlasNova 635nm IIIa, and noticed some speckling around the beam focal point. I've tried removing the screw-off end cap and cleaning it with a Q-tip and alcohol, as recommended in various threads here, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I also noticed two red patches above and below the main beam (circled in the pic), which strike me as odd:
Atlas_red.jpg

My IIIa green does not show these issues (different manufacturer, different construction, etc, I know).
I was wondering if this is normal for red pointers, or if there was something I can do to correct or at least lessen these issues?

mccavazos

Enlightened
My atlasnova 635nm has the same two corona spots. I've never really put much thought to them, Im guessing they are a reflection off of the shiny brass.

CrazyFingers

Newly Enlightened
I've noticed the corona spots are much worse with the front cap unscrewed, so it's not a reflection from the inside of the cap, which seems to lessen the effect if anything.

mccavazos

Enlightened
CrazyFingers said:
I've noticed the corona spots are much worse with the front cap unscrewed, so it's not a reflection from the inside of the cap, which seems to lessen the effect if anything.

I've noticed teh same thing, I was refering to the brass of the lens assembly.

Black Sheep

Newly Enlightened
Cleaning the lens with a microfiber cloth might be better for it, but if another user has the same problem it might just be the same with all the pointers.

jkaiser3000

Enlightened
my guess is the lens is not properly shielded from the "excess" light emmited by the laser diode. That is, the diode may be producing a cone of light slightly bigger than the lens itself, so some light may be striking the lens' edges, and so are being reflected/refracted in odd ways.

If this theory is correct, you could try stoping down the lens a bit, but that would have to be done on the back surface, to prevent light from reaching the edges.

Could also be caused by light being reflected off the brass casing, in which case you shoul paint it flat black

rkboyer911

Newly Enlightened
im sure it not totaly the same but my Lazermax was doing ther same thing I had to send it back to the factory and they fixed it...said it was dirty on the inside....