SF M6 or Mini-HID?

stockae92

Enlightened
for simular price, would you go with SF M6 or Mini-HID?

how do they compare? (output? beam?)

i think i would "trust my life" on a SF M6 more so then a mini-HID, but mini-HID does have a "wow" factor

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
An HID is cool, but the warm-up time is a problem for routine use. Unless you plan to have a bright light on for extended periods, I would choose an M6.

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
The answer depends on what you're using the light for: cheking on the classic "bump-in-the-night" noises or leaving the light on for extended periods.

For the "bump-in-the-night" role, I'd consider the M6. It's very bright, very small, and lights up at full brightness as soon as you turn it on. Disadvantages? It's expensive to run. The M6 costs at least $18/hour to run on high (it consumes 6 CR123 batteries every 20 minutes, at $1/battery). That said, if you're just using it intermittently, even your first six batteries will last you a while, and it should work fine for home protection.

As for HIDs...
I'd definitely consider one if you're just going to be turning on your light and then keeping it on for a while. As wasblinded mentioned, HIDs take a while to ramp up to full brightness - anywhere from 5-25 seconds (figure ~10 seconds on average). For the "bump-in-the-night" noises, you want something that lights up immediately, so HIDs aren't such a good mix. However, if you'll be using your light for extended periods, the HIDs are more efficient and last longer. Their beam also extends pretty far, and is a beautiful shade of white. =)

FYI, some CPFers are now making rechargeable solutions for the M6. They appear to be very well received. However, the $200 cost of the rechargeable option means that you're spending roughly $550 on the M6. Mini-HIDs can be purchased on CPF for about $250; with charger and batteries, it ends up costing you about $300 - or roughly half the price of the M6. (Just figured I'd throw this in, in case cost was a factor!)

One final HID option is the X990. It's got incredible output and throw, and is available for about $300 with two rechargeable batteries. However, it's also big and heavy - far less portable than either the M6 or mini-HID!

In any case, the M6 and HIDs are all great lights - you'll be happy with whatever you get!

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
M6= 20 Minutes tuntime :awman:

MiniHID= 1 Hour 30 Mins Runtime w/ 4 batts instead of 6 :rock:

I got both, use HID WAYYY more than M6, unless I'm going on a tatical mission.... :naughty:

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
I was trying to figure out the same thing a few weeks ago. I was really interested in the M6 because I have a G2 and really like surefire. 500 lumens, cool I thought. 20 minutes run time, not so cool. 6 123 batteries at $5 a pair, not cool. The M6 is very rugged though. But I needed a really really bright light and I wasn't going to use it to beat things with it so it didn't have to be that rugged. I found out about the AE 24w powerlight and did some research on it. Fairly rugged, 1.5 ( more like 2 hour) run time, rechargable and 1300 lumens instead of 500. Anyways, I got my AE powerlight the other day and OMG, that thing is crazy. I am just amazed on how much light this thing puts out. Makes my G2 with the 120 lumen bulb look pathetic. I really like the color of the light this puts out too. It even comes with a carrying case. $100 cheaper than the M6 tool. For the start up, it is instant on but takes about 8-10 seconds for full brightness. Hot restrike too. But, if you can afford batteris, need something smaller and don't want to wait for the 8-10 seconds for full brightness, then go for the M6.

CLHC

Flashaholic
I have the SureFire M6 and the MagHID (not MiniHID). And I do use them both evenly. In fact I did use them both last night to do some late night out around the house things and in the cold (for here that is)! Both are very well built lights and have no regrets buying/owning/using them!

Enjoy!