White powder/condensation on E2e reflector

photovoltaic

Newly Enlightened
I looked around to see where the most appropriate place to post this was. I settled on General Flashlight. Mods can move it if need be. I also did a search and could not find anything that addressed my question. I noticed something on my E2e reflector for the last two nights after the light has been on for a significant amount of time (5 minutes or longer). I see a white condensate/crystalization or powder on the edges of the reflector. At first, I thought it was water condensation inside of the bezel appearing on the reflector. But it could not be this because it has not been around water. The white condensate/powder goes away after the lamp cools down. Anyone had this occur in their Surfire lights? Do you perhaps know what it is?
Thanks.

citizenal

Newly Enlightened
Have you ever used the Air in a Can? The same type that they use for computers? I think I read somewhere that using it could leave behind some residue of some sort. Aside from that, I have no idea. I do however have some sort of white fog on my Mag reflector. I bought it new, installed it and after a while it just sort of started fogging up. The only thing I could come up with is that the threads were lubricated too much and somehow when the flashlight became too hot it transferred on to the reflector.:shrug:

photovoltaic

Newly Enlightened
No, I haven't used any air in a can. I dunno... it looks like a thin coating of condensation that has frozen. Of course - that is not possible because the light is hot. I guess I'll email Surefire. If they have any idea, I'll post it here.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Photovoltaic,

Welcome to CPF.

I believe what you are seeing is a bit of moisture inside your light. This can get into the light when you open it up to change the batteries if the air is a bit humid.

When I run into this, I turn the light on for a few minutes to let things warm up, then shut it off and open it up as if I were going to change the lamp assembly. When it cools down, put it back together and try again. A few rounds of this will usually drive the moisture out as long as you are not in a high humidity environment.

As (Size 15's) lives in England and often runs into this. He puts his lights into a drying cupboard when they show signs of fogging. My version of the drying cupboard is my oven. I set the temperature to minimum, crack the door, and put the head of the light into it for 15-30 minutes.

Let us know what you find out.

Tom

g36pilot

Enlightened
Another drying trick is to place the device on your vehicles windshield defroster vent and place the setting toward high. With a sealed light you may have to open it. I've used this remedy several times in the winter with improperly sealed watches that would condense moisture inside the crystal whenever the temp dropped.

photovoltaic

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to everyone for their help. I'll try your suggestions and let you know. I did call Surefire today and explained what was going on. The fellow on the phone said that one of his lights did this as well and he knew exactly what I was talking about. He said that this was not a normal condition and was a manufacturing defect in the reflector. They are sending me another head for the flashlight - no questions asked.

I'd post a picture but I'm not allowed to post attachments yet.

Again, thanks to everyone.