Tiny Coast Penlight

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Uses two "fire cracker" lithium cells which cost the same as the light - $10, at Batteries +

I'd like to try one but the clerk won't open the sealed plastic package. If it's brighter than my Peli L4 and the cells can be had cheaper, I might bite.

BTW - Search didn't find firecrackers or coast penlight. Thought I read about these some time ago.

Anyone with info?

Thanks

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
You wouldn't be talking about the light between the 2 Jil's in this picture would you? If so, it takes 2 needle batteries, available at Fry's, but cheaper online.

CIMG0218.jpg

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
You betcha, Jim, that's the baby and that's the size I'd prefer to my Stylus or Peli L4. What can you tell me about it? Clickie, like the L4 or momentary press with twist for constant on like the Stylus? Decent brightness? Didja burn thru a set o cells yet? ThankX!

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not real bright, but plenty bright enough to find your way around a dark room. It's the perfect light if you want to be inconspicious reading a menu in a dark restaurant or reading a program in a dark theater. I use mine a lot for reading my watch when its dark. It's real handy, being in my shirt pocket. I've had mine for over a year, and I'm on my second set of batteries.

The switch is a plain tail twisty - no momentary on. All the Coast ones I've seen are silver. I like the black one. The only place I know to get the black one is where I got mine, Maxmax.com. Here's the order page in case you have trouble finding it.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had one of those for a brief while until I sold it to a nurse. It definately had a reasonably quality feel to it. It was pretty dim (quite a bit dimmer than a Nichia CS direct on 2 alkaline cells in a Minimag host) but as Jim said, usefully bright for limited distances.

Jim takes a fine picture though... almost enough to make me want to order another one.

shrug.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
V16_art.jpg

It is the LedLenser V16-Chipfire and runs on 2xBR435 lithium primary cells. It seems to be weatherproof (one of the few LedLensers that are), o-ring sealed with a tail twisty.
No regulation IIRC. It is really dim, but quite useful for a lot of tasks, as mentioned above. One such task is health care to check the pupils. Another would be a stealth carry when dressed up where most lights might be an inconvienience.

Beamshot vs an Arc AAA-LE:

ll_aaa_-_v16.jpg

In the end ... this is one of the few LedLenser I still like and use.

bernie

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the good photos and information, everybody. I actually use a penlight during the day, peering into small openings in equipment. It seems a bit dim but I think it's gonna be my first Coast/LED Lenser. It'll be a much sleeker, stylish and smaller "restaurant" light, if it doesn't pass muster as a work light.

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saw these at Fry's for $9.99 today and the blister package had a "Genuine Nichia" sticker on the white ones. My old ones didn't say that on their boxes so I wonder if this is how they've always been or if a running change has occurred?

The batteries were $2.99 each.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
jayflash ... I think it will be too dim for your task ... except if they upgraded the brightness of those significantly. My pics are rather old.
bernie