ROP Died...

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 4D M@G fell bezel first on to a concrete floor from say a 28 to 34" height. The low output bulb survived, checked filament with magnifying glass and it is still intact. Tried my High Ouput bulb after double checking the integrity of the filament, checked out ok but still no light. I took my DMM and I am not getting a voltage reading from the pedestal after placing the hot wire of the DMM into the pedestal and using the ground of the DMM to ground against the body of the M@G and I am not getting a reading, Any ideas???

Thanks,
Dave

jwl

Enlightened
If you're using a battery adapter then pull it out and check to see if you get power at all the connections and the switch if necessary. I'd probably start with checking all the batteries, the battery carrier (if there is one), the switch, etc...Just start from the bottom and work your way through till you find the problem.

I did that on another flashlight (not one of mine) the other night and it turns out that it has a bad switch.

Good luck

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you grounding against the colored (anodized) part or a bare part?

Better check against the bottom cup of the socket and the side wall of the socket. That's the positive/negative the lamp sees.

If you aren't getting anything there, then you may have cracked the switch in the drop, (rare) or compressed the postive spring in the bottom of the switch (less rare) or cracked your battery carrier and lost contact.

So, start with the carriers after you check the bottom cup and wall of the socket.

Bill

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your help.... To clearify things I must tell you I am not using a battery carrier but instead using a stick made up of 6 IB3800 S/C's. I am getting a voltage reading from the socket now(thanks Bill). The socket that is incorporated into the pedestal and the pedestal can be pushed down quite a bit before the lamp will even light. The high output lamp will not even work but the low output (11w) works but it has to be pushed all the way down and in doing so the bulb is below the level of the aluminum reflector giving it an out of focus beam shot even though I have the bezel screwed down all the way. Prior to taking the spill I was able to focus to a pretty tight beam. Is my mag toast???

Dave

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
No,

Somethings wrong with the Bulb/socket/switch combo.

If you are familiar with taking the switch out and what it should look like, do that. If you aren't and don't want to hassle with it, send it over and I'll fix it and put a new switch in it if necessary.

Bill

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
bwaites said:
No,

Somethings wrong with the Bulb/socket/switch combo.

If you are familiar with taking the switch out and what it should look like, do that. If you aren't and don't want to hassle with it, send it over and I'll fix it and put a new switch in it if necessary.

Bill

Bill, Thanks for your offer but if you can tell me the correct size of the allen wrench I need I can probably do it myself. The collection of allen wrenches I have don't fit the switch. Oddly enough it seems like I have the older version(no retaining ring) and I bought the lamp from Home Depot just a year ago. I do hear a rattle inside the switch barrel region of the lamp so I suspect the assembly needs to be replaced. Luckily I do have a 3D M@G not earning it's keep so I will just swap out assemblies. I did get good information from the following link...

http://rivergum.net/page/48