Aleph Cree UV

Maximum

Enlightened
I want a good UV light for CSI investigation (blood, UV currency marks, invisible ink).
Any have a report about them (Aleph sold on Sandwich Shop)?
Thanks

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blood doesn't glow in UV light. When you see that kind of stuff on TV (and in real life), they use a substance called Luminol (I don't know how it works) to get blood to show up.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The Aleph19 UV is a powerful UV light with a very well defined beam running on E-Series compatible bodies. It can be run with the Aleph 2-stage Switch.

If you wanna knwo more ... visit the McGizmo forum and click on the FAQ sticky and chose the Aleph FAQ ... you'll find info and beamshots there.

bernie

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maximum said:
I want a good UV light for CSI investigation (blood, UV currency marks, invisible ink).
Any have a report about them (Aleph sold on Sandwich Shop)?
Thanks

Ditto on what was already said about the blood. Currency is a slightly different matter. The CreeUV emitter will highlight some of the Canadian currency UV anti-counterfeiting measures but not all. There are two types of fibres in the new bills that flouresce at different wavelengths. The Cree emitter is around 395nm and does not make the red fibres glow - you need around 380nm or lower for that.

This site will provide you with a lot of info.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
IIRC there is a company that sells modded Mags with multiple 5mm UV LEDs with different wavelengths ... this might be a better product for you if you wanna check a lot of different things and wanna be sure it works 100% for all stuff.
Unfortunately I don't remember who it was ... and it is significantly bigger than the Aleph.
bernie

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't tried money, but I did compare 380nm and 360nm 5mm leds. The 360nm will make the die of a royalblue, blue, cyan etc luxeons glow yellow! But the 380nm will not, or does so very very faintly. So there is even a difference in things that will respond only at 360nm!

395nm will have a lot of purple in the beam. 380nm will have some, and 360nm has no purple in the beam.

I have not found something that will only glow with higher wavelengths vs lower. It seems the lower will glow everything and more than higher will. (except some things that glow in blue light won't glow in UV, but thats just like green/orange plastics.)

Xenopuselectronics is the place with all kinds of mag light drop ins/etc that has all different kinds of UV wavelengths. That link there takes you to the CSI page.

xenopus

Newly Enlightened
We have the Cree UV emitter in a number from one unit in a 2AA to 7 units in a rechargeable lantern. Most excellent when power is required.

For currency validation, 380 or 365nm is best.

For blood, blue is often used for detection by absorbtion, either at 410nm or 465nm (best absorbtion is at 415nm as I reacall).

Cheers,
Piers!

DCFluX

Newly Enlightened
It should be noted that Luminol is carconogenic. Be sure to wear a Haz-mat suit and resperator when playing with it.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got back from a great "Easter Egg" hunt using my Aleph/Cree UV light. My father lives next to a golf course in Mesa, AZ and my girlfriend's son wanted to go out and hunt for golf balls amongst the desert scrub that bounds the fairways and greens. It was close to dark so I brought the UV light to look for scorpions after it got dark. What I didn't expect was how useful it was for finding golf balls in the dark too. Most of them glow a bright blue/white, and once darkness fell they were easy to see in the dark underbrush. We got home with over 50 golf balls. And found a few bright green glowing scorpions too!