4AA VS 4D bulb question

mykall

Enlightened
I have a question about incan. bulbs rated for 4D cells as opposed to
4AA. I use these cheap automatic motion sensing lights in my hallways
so that I don't have to flip lights on and off all the time (and possibly leave them on).

Anyway they take either 4AA cells or the optional 6V wall adapter. I have been using nimh cells in them for about 2 years with good results. Each of the 3 units came with a couple of spare bulbs which I"m now out of . I went to several stores to see if I could find one of these screw based 4.8V (not sure how many "A") bulbs. The closest thing I could find was one at ACE Hardware rated for 4 "D" cells. When put in the unit the bulb will come on and after about 3-4 seconds starts flashing.

Is this the wrong amp rating? It does appear quite a bit brighter than the original though. Since 4D and 4AA are both 6V is there a difference besides just capacity?

Thanks
MB

RoyJ

Enlightened
mykall said:
so that I don't have to flip lights on and off all the time (and possibly leave them on).

Anyway they take either 4AA cells or the optional 6V wall adapter. I have been using nimh cells in them for about 2 years with good results. Each of the 3 units came with a couple of spare bulbs which I"m now out of . I went to several stores to see if I could find one of these screw based 4.8V (not sure how many "A") bulbs. The closest thing I could find was one at ACE Hardware rated for 4 "D" cells. When put in the unit the bulb will come on and after about 3-4 seconds starts flashing.

Is this the wrong amp rating? It does appear quite a bit brighter than the original though. Since 4D and 4AA are both 6V is there a difference besides just capacity?

Thanks
MB

No, there's no difference between 4AA and 4D. You just bought a "flasher" bulb, that's all! I made the same mistake before.

Look closely at the bulb, it's not a continuous filament, but has a metal plate contact. When the metal plates heat up they'll seperate and then cool off and touch eachother again. They're meant to flash.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to consider these 4 cell screw base LED replacement bulbs. They're a little pricey in comparison to incandescent bulbs, but you would only have to replace them once. LED bulbs also tend to make batteries last longer (2-5 times as long is claimed) and are also whiter that the yellowish light given off by the incandescents.
http://www.led-replacement.com/ls407.html

RoyJ

Enlightened
DonShock said:
You might want to consider these 4 cell screw base LED replacement bulbs. They're a little pricey in comparison to incandescent bulbs, but you would only have to replace them once. LED bulbs also tend to make batteries last longer (2-5 times as long is claimed) and are also whiter that the yellowish light given off by the incandescents.
http://www.led-replacement.com/ls407.html

I guess if he's using wall adapters then the extra expense is really not necessary, unless color temperature is a huge issue.

RoyJ said:
No, there's no difference between 4AA and 4D. You just bought a "flasher" bulb, that's all! I made the same mistake before.

Look closely at the bulb, it's not a continuous filament, but has a metal plate contact. When the metal plates heat up they'll seperate and then cool off and touch eachother again. They're meant to flash.

Actually there is a difference between AA and D rated bulbs. Look at the current rating. AA rated ones are usually 0.25-0.5A range while the D rated ones are 0.5 to 0.85A range and they're usually 4.7 to 4.8v rated.

an AA lamp with Ds is fine, but if you use a higher current D rated lamp with AAs, the batteries will go dead fast. Alkaline does not like high current draw. They can deliver 2900mAh at C/120 rate, but usable capacity loss is apparent at as low as C/30 rate. At C/5 to C/10 rate, expect to get about half the rated capacity and even less for higher load.

RoyJ

Enlightened
Handlobraesing said:
Actually there is a difference between AA and D rated bulbs. Look at the current rating. AA rated ones are usually 0.25-0.5A range while the D rated ones are 0.5 to 0.85A range and they're usually 4.7 to 4.8v rated.

an AA lamp with Ds is fine, but if you use a higher current D rated lamp with AAs, the batteries will go dead fast. Alkaline does not like high current draw. They can deliver 2900mAh at C/120 rate, but usable capacity loss is apparent at as low as C/30 rate. At C/5 to C/10 rate, expect to get about half the rated capacity and even less for higher load.

Very true. But I had a cheapo $3 4AA light that came with a 0.7A krypton bulb. I guess some manufactures use the same bulbs for all battery types. My main point though, was that there are no differences that'll cause a bulb to blink and flash.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
mykall said:

Thanks
MB

I went with X-10 stuff. It costs more to start although you can frequently get good deals from them.
Kitchen light goes on when I walk into the kitchen during the day. Same for hall and bathroom lights. I also have remote light switchs where I want them rather than where they normally are.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
Handlobraesing said:
an AA lamp with Ds is fine, but if you use a higher current D rated lamp with AAs, the batteries will go dead fast.
I had the impression that if you use a bulb designed for a 2AA flashlight with 2D cells, it would blow instantly. eg the minimag 2AA bulb.

RoyJ

Enlightened
How can that be? Provided you're using fresh batteries (or ni-mh), the bulb sees the same voltage, AA or D. Your current is also the same as I = V/R (same bulb, same R).

In reality, the AA's volatge will sag a bit more than D's, so you might get slightly higher current through an AA bulb if you run it on Ds, but not enough to blow it.

eebowler said:
I had the impression that if you use a bulb designed for a 2AA flashlight with 2D cells, it would blow instantly. eg the minimag 2AA bulb.

You'll just get insanely long battery life.

mykall

Enlightened
I did get a set of non-blinking bulbs of the same type. I haven't been able to find any that were rated for 4xAA. Since I'm using NIMH I don't think I need to worry about the current. Only time will tell how long the batts last before a recharge.

MB

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Handlobraesing said:

Nice summary, Handlo. Is there a full chart somewhere with this info, with the variable common sizes? That would be a nice sticky post.