Recvd Brightstar HID today

Soniq7

Newly Enlightened
Ordered Sun 4/23, and received today one most excellent giant black flashlight. Purchased from the much maligned HidXtra.com. I can report 100% satisfaction with the sale. Anyway, the light fully rules, its just what I was looking for. Big, black and ugly. The construction is excellent, hard anodized aluminum in mat black, and its completely o-ringed thruout. Ballast and reflector (metal) appear to be of very nice quality. No internal shifting or rattling. I took it apart and applied some grease to the threads and orings, screwed it back together and fired it up. Becomes usably bright in about a second and ramps up to full song about 10 seconds later. The light is white with a slight amber corona and the pattern is perfect with a center hot spot and good side spill. The pattern is also perfectly round with no dark spots. Its the coolest flashlight Ive ever had by a long shot. It came with a super nice hard case that I also fully dig. It charging right now and I cant wait for it to get dark.

Flashlights have come a LONG way since I last bought one. I know this behemoth is going to take "manliest flashlight" award pretty much every time. Good job Brightstar. :goodjob:

Signing off..
BigMike

Heres a big picture. Those are 8" tiles for reference.
BS24.jpg

Last edited:

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
Cool light, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I sure know I love my AE 24w HID Powerlight. I love seeing the beam shoot several hundred feet into the air at night. Post some beam shots when you get a chance.

RemingtonBPD

Enlightened
Nice light...did you pay the $255.00? More impression would be great. I have been considering buying a HID light. Do you think this would be practical as a Patrol light? (I am a PO).

Digidoc

Newly Enlightened
I Think AE and BS is the same...In Germany I Can´t get the AE..it´s very difficult...

Soniq7

Newly Enlightened
Xzn said:
I don't get why people buy the brightstar when they can get the AE Powerlight.

I personally like the BS better appearance wise, it came with a perfect mini hard-case, and it was substatially cheaper. Im sure the AE is a magnificent light, but I went mostly on price. $255 delivered.

Somebody asked about carrying the BS as a duty light. I think it might be a little big and heavy to lug around daily. Mine is mostly for occasional use.

I got a set of 62mm color filters that fit in the battery area of the case with a little trimming. The 62mm filter do not fit exactly, but close enough to work.

I also determined that the battery is a 3S2P 4400ma lithium Ion. I now use my Schulze RC charger with Futaba plug to charge the beast at up to 5 amps if necessary.

Coolest flashlight ever. Love it love it love it.

Last edited:

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Soniq7 said:
I personally like the BS better appearance wise, it came with a perfect mini hard-case, and it was substatially cheaper. Im sure the AE is a magnificent light, but I went mostly on price. $255 delivered.

Somebody asked about carrying the BS as a duty light. I think it might be a little big and heavy to lug around daily. Mine is mostly for occasional use.

I got a set of 62mm color filters that fit in the battery area of the case with a little trimming. The 62mm filter do not fit exactly, but close enough to work.

I also determined that the battery is a 3S2P 4400ma lithium Ion. I now use my Schulze RC charger with Futaba plug to charge the beast at up to 5 amps if necessary.

Coolest flashlight ever. Love it love it love it.

I'd do 4amps MAX on the charging. Normally I'd do 2 amps.

On the Brightstar compared the the AELight I understand the Brightstar is around $50 cheaper but if I'm spending $250, I'd rather spend the $50 more ($300 ) and get the brighter light. In the shootout the AELight was significantly brighter than the Brightstar. Also the AELight has a cool looking head.

Mac

Last edited: