Any cavers?

Gimp_Light

Newly Enlightened
Just wondering if there are any big time cavers around. I figure there has to be a few since there is a headlamp section.

Ive only been caving on and off for 4 or 5 years, but my stepdad has been for over 20. If there are any NSS (Nationla Speliological Society) members you would know him as the last president(Scott Fee).

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Hey there Gimp,

Start with this thread! John "jtice" also has a website setup with some FANTASTIC pics & narrations of his spelunking adventures! Look under "Trip Reports", be sure to check out his photo gallery too!

He's got some more posts in the hallways of the Cafe on the subject...may find them using search.

Last edited:

Gimp_Light

Newly Enlightened
Sigman said:
Hey there Gimp,

Start with this thread! John "jtice" also has a website setup with some FANTASTIC pics & narrations of his spelunking adventures!

He's got some more posts in the hallways of the Cafe on the subject...may find them using search.

Bah if I have to read anothe cave trip report or look at any more photos of them I'll go vegitative. My mom is the editor of the speleodigest and my stepdad is a cave photography guru.

Aka I cant even get away from cave related stuff just sitting in my living room.

Do you know if jtice is a NSS member?

Thanks for the link and tips btw.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Gimp_Light said:
Bah if I have to read anothe cave trip report or look at any more photos of them I'll go vegitative. My mom is the editor of the speleodigest and my stepdad is a cave photography guru.

Aka I cant even get away from cave related stuff just sitting in my living room.
:ohgeez:That's an interesting way of saying "thank you, Sigman".

There are quite a few cavers on CPF, but it seems you're not really interested in hearing from them? :confused:

I know jonsidneyb is an NSS member (he's also a Stenlight dealer), not sure about the others.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been a member for around 7 or 8 yrs now. But I don't get the publications. Never got around to reading them when I got them. Although they do have pretty pictures of places I will never go :( :p

PeLu is a major big time caver, but he is in Austria.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Hey Gimp,

Day or nignt, heads or tails, on or off, soft or smooth - you asked if anyone was into caving. Did you want to find out or not? Guess I read that post wrong!

Figured that thread may get you "on the road" to meeting some of those folks that do that kind of thing around here...Was I mistaken?

You're the one who asked! :ohgeez: :banghead:

However, you did offer thanks - so maybe I just took that reply the wrong way. I can understand the "saturation levels" of reports & pics you're talking about though!

Well, regardless there seem to be a few "cavers" around these halls - but I don't know how heavy they're into it.

Good luck on your quest! :thumbsup:

(BTW - I'm a "caver wannabe" when I put a headlamp on and crawl around under my house! :D Those pics & reports seem like a fantasy to me...There must be some caves in Alaska to explore?)

Last edited:

Gimp_Light

Newly Enlightened
Sigman said:
Hey Gimp,

Day or nignt, heads or tails, on or off, soft or smooth - you asked if anyone was into caving. Did you want to find out or not? Guess I read that post wrong!

Figured that thread may get you "on the road" to meeting some of those folks that do that kind of thing around here...Was I mistaken?

You're the one who asked! :ohgeez: :banghead:

However, you did offer thanks - so maybe I just took that reply the wrong way. I can understand the "saturation levels" of reports & pics you're talking about though!

Well, regardless there seem to be a few "cavers" around these halls - but I don't know how heavy they're into it.

Good luck on your quest! :thumbsup:

(BTW - I'm a "caver wannabe" when I put a headlamp on and crawl around under my house! :D Those pics & reports seem like a fantasy to me...There must be some caves in Alaska to explore?)

Oh yeah I didnt mean that in a negative way. I like caving at all but I've read and heard so many cave reports I'm just tired of them. Not to mention if I walk anywhere in my house other than my room I get to see cave photography :laughing:

Maybe you should join the NSS or a local grotto and try some caving? Even if you dont enjoy it that much its a great place to play with lights, which is pretty much the only reason I still do it.