• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

McLux PD with a UXOJ

liteMANIAC

Newly Enlightened
I'm concidering to buy a McLux PD. I'm just wondering if I swith the TYOJ with a UXOJ if all that will change is tint? And if runtime and brightness will be changed much? Lastly would it be hard for me to swap the LED?

Thanks,

Patrick

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
P: You might want to run a search in this forum. A number of the topics you posted about where just discussed. :)

Kiessling

Flashaholic
If we ignore the Lottery for a moment ... then the U-bin will be a bit brighter, will have a different tint and sport the same runtime.
bernie

kennyj

Enlightened
I've actually been contemplating getting ahold of a few UW0Js and building a Lightbox, testing each one and finding the brightest/nicest, and putting that one in the PD.

The rest go into a few other mods (Mag, minimag, maybe a lantern) that I've been planning, but as the EDC light, the PD takes priority.

Of course, I'm a crazy *******. It'll probably never happen anyway due to the cost and the difficulties in making a solid test rig, but it's fun to think about.

Rudi

Enlightened
BLAHBLAHBLAH, thaks for the link. That's very interesting information that had eluded me.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
liteMANIAC said:
I'm concidering to buy a McLux PD. I'm just wondering if I swith the TYOJ with a UXOJ if all that will change is tint? And if runtime and brightness will be changed much? Lastly would it be hard for me to swap the LED?

Thanks,

Patrick

why settle for less??? if you are modding the light anyway, think about SXOH Lux I, it will not only beat U bin UXOJ but also excel in efficiency.

AW is selling SXOH HERE

Lower Vf, Better Tint and probably more runtime too. especially if your PD driver is 550 mA. (it wont overdrive Lux I to unsafe levels)

It might require extra care in order to replace the LED without destroying the LED itself, but are you gonna re-use the OLD led anyway?

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
ViReN said:
why settle for less??? if you are modding the light anyway, think about SXOH Lux I, it will not only beat U bin UXOJ but also excel in efficiency.

AW is selling SXOH HERE

Lower Vf, Better Tint and probably more runtime too. especially if your PD driver is 550 mA. (it wont overdrive Lux I to unsafe levels)

It might require extra care in order to replace the LED without destroying the LED itself, but are you gonna re-use the OLD led anyway?

Actually, output for the SxxH LuxI and the UxxJ LuxIII should be very close.

Recall that they are Voltage binned at different currents. Since the H bin (LuxI) will be over-driven, it's Vf will likely fall in the J range at 550mA. Since the J bin (LuxIII) will be under-driven, it's Vf will likely fall in the H range, so it may be more efficient.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
chimo said:
Actually, output for the SxxH LuxI and the UxxJ LuxIII should be very close.

Recall that they are Voltage binned at different currents. Since the H bin (LuxI) will be over-driven, it's Vf will likely fall in the J range at 550mA. Since the J bin (LuxIII) will be under-driven, it's Vf will likely fall in the H range, so it may be more efficient.

:) thanks for enlightning me...

now .... all that remains is the cost comparison... it would be $20 (UXOJ) vs $12 (SXOH)

kennyj

Enlightened
That thread blahblahblah linked is quite interesting... the apparent (though statistically insignificant) correleation between voltage draw and output is interesting as well. The fact that the higher Vf LEDs even come away as more *efficient* relative to their output raises my eyebrows as well. Has this correlation been verified or refuted anywhere else?