E2D (MN03) run with two rechargeable battery!

Chao

Enlightened
Not sure if anybody try this already! My E2D with MN03 bulb can be powered by two 3.0V protected RCR123A that were from e-lectronics store, I originally think these battery may burn the bulb, but I still try them, they really work! and very bright, I am so happy that I can use E2D with these rechargeable battery.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Dude, you read my mind! I just asked this question here. Run the lights through a few battery cycles, post your findings here, you have got my undivided attention. :huh:

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought all RCR123A batteries were 3.7volts, even more fully charged. With 2 in series, that would be driving the lamp seriously hard.

If they are truely 3.0volts,or just slightly higher fully charged, I will take a gross of them, along with everybody else on the forum.

Chao, what store did you buy these from? We are all on the edge of our seats here. Keep us posted on this. Thanks:)

Chao

Enlightened
I bought these batteries frome-lectronicsstore,
they also work well with my G&P G60 bulb :). I am going to by more batteries and other MN03 bulb for more experiments.

nuggett

Enlightened
I did this when those batts first came out. I thought the bulb was overdriven and it failed after a couple days of use. I tried agaiin with Powerizer 3v cells and instaflashed the bulb. So thats my experience, hope yours is better.

Max Brightness

Enlightened
I was also wondering about their use in the E2D as I plan to buy it this month. I tried them with my L1 and L2 but the diameter is slightly too big and thus do not fit. It is good to hear they fit in the E2D.

Just slightly to the side, I've been using these 3V rechargebles in my Streamlight TL-2 (Cr123x2 incandescent) for several weeks and recharged them several times. They work wonderfully.

Chao

Enlightened
nuggett said:
I tried agaiin with Powerizer 3v cells and instaflashed the bulb. So thats my experience.

I ever tried to run E2D with Powerizer 3V cells, and then burn the MN03 bulb:crazy:.

greenLED

Flashaholic
dizzy said:
I thought all RCR123A batteries were 3.7volts,
Nope, the "IC" version of jsburlys and Markcm keep the voltage at 3.0. I didn't think they were supposed to be used in 2x123 setup, though.

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It just goes to show, you can learn something new every day on this forum.

I may have to get some of them and do some testing of my own.

Thanks Chao for the link and the great information.:)

frisco

Enlightened
I'm still a little leary about this method....... lets please keep the topic open and running!! This could be huge !!!

frisco

mdocod

Flashaholic
here's the problem...

1. rechargable li-ion cells with a ~3.0V output do exsist... but they are still using the same chemistry found in 3.7V cells.
2. The 3.0V is accomplished by a regulation circuit in the battery- in reality- the voltage under a very slight load is closer to 3.2V
3. li-ion chemistry can drive a harder load than lithium primary cells without as much voltage sag- especially when the voltage has already been down-regulated...

the result... is that even those rechargable cells that have internal 3.0V regulation, will overdrive most tactical style lamps... to a level that will burn up lamps noticably faster than primary cells....

better bet would be to install a 9V lamp assembly, and use a pair of 3.7V li-ions.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ran my E2e on a pair of regulated RCR123's and wasn't very impressed.

Surefire%20E2e.png

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW, those first 30 seconds or so must be really impressive. After that, me no likey. Thanks for the very informative graph. You just saved me from wasting some money on those.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
dizzy said:
WOW, those first 30 seconds or so must be really impressive. After that, me no likey. Thanks for the very informative graph. You just saved me from wasting some money on those.

Yeah it was crazy bright for the first minute or so, probably over 110 lumens coming out of it.

The 3v regulated cells are awesome in other lights, like the Fenix P1, so don't pass them up just because they don't do well in an incandescent.

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I need to do more investigating as to what LED lights they will fit in (L2 Surefire?) before I make snap judgements like that. I'm sure they work well someplace or they wouldn't sell very well.

Being a Moparfreak I'm not sure if it is ethical for me to donate to your battery and equipment fund. :lolsign:

Mike

Alin10123

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you really want to use rechargeables safely with your E series light. Check out this mod:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1491321

Much cheaper bulbs to replace
10% brighter
rechargeable
Almost the same amount of runtime

What more can you ask for?

If you have an L4, the same battery can run in it as well with 100% brightness becuase you've got full regulation. Plus it's rechargeable and you can carry a spare with you that wont discharge on you.

Chao

Enlightened
Ok, I got my new 3.0V RCR123A from E-lectronics store last week and did runtime test on MN03:

minutes / Lux at 1M
0 / 2890
5 / 1855
10 / 1839
15 / 2050
20 / 1890
24 /0 (battery protetive effect)

Conclusion: the runtime looks fine, but I finally would not recommend use 2x 3.0V RCR123A for MN03, because you need multi click first or you may burn the bulb, this is not convenient for emergency. The 3.0V RCR123A also short the bulb life, I did about 5 rounds runtime test, the bulb then died. I think I will keep use primary cell for my E2D, I can get 60 min with high brightness and 80 min for total use and don't worry too much about bulb life.