Placed 3 SMJLEDs in a Nightblaster...

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nightblaster is one of those plastic flashlights that you find at Walmart (or such places) that has a 3AAA "barrel configuration" (so it's short), the rotating clip (so you can clip it to something and point the light in various directions), and turns on by turning the head about a 1/4th of an inch clockwise.

Mine had 3 red colored 5mm LEDs in it, and since it uses the 3 AAA cells, it has resistors for each LED to bring the current down to what red LEDs require.

Well, because I have seen that the MJLEDs don't do well when overdriven, and prefer about 3 volts, I decided to replace the three 5mm red LEDs with three of the SMJLEDs.

The light produces a pretty decent wall of light, . . . .slighly blue in tint, but very adequate in the amount of light outputted. Since these are replacing the red LEDs, these SMJLEDs may be just under optimal fV, but as they are, in this setup, I am quite pleased with the results. And being slightly underdriven, it will probably last a good long time in both output and LED life.

Comments?

BTW, if you just have to see pics, . . I'll try to get some over the weekend and load them here on Monday.

Last edited:

blademan

Enlightened
I put Super MJleds in my dorcy 1 aa and got the same effect of a wall of light. It is actually perfect for camping. I tried to focus the beam more was unsuccessful. I like the result for general close range lighting.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
blademan said:
I put Super MJleds in my dorcy 1 aa and got the same effect of a wall of light. It is actually perfect for camping. I tried to focus the beam more was unsuccessful. I like the result for general close range lighting.

For an interior light, it is excellent! It could be used as a trail light to illuminate close up to where you're walking. Definitely a close up light tool. A rather simple mod, too. Just popped the red LEDs out and placed the SMJLEDs in their place. :)

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've replaced LEDs in several cheap lights with the new Nicha CSs and it's unbelievable. I've just started playing around with the MJ's. Did a $6-7 headlight from WalMart and it's a big improvement, but not impressive.

Seems that the lights that I like these best in are the ones with smaller reflectors b/c I favor useable flood over throw. Overall I think these high powered LEDs are an improvement over most any low power incans.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, . . . . why did I place the original post in the LED forum. It's obviously a Homemade/Modified. Thanks for the moving of the thread. :)