Anyone have Dae's Super LED #108

kevinm

Enlightened
Hi all,

I'm looking for another circuit board that will fit into a Matterhorn body. I know the Arc clone fit, but I fried the only one I had and $8 seems like a lot for that simple a board (I'll pay it if I can't find them a lot cheaper, though). The one here

http://www.qualitychinagoods.com/super-lamp-keychain-light-p-348.html

looks to be the right size, but I don't know if it's potted. Anyone have one? Or know of a place to get the Arc clones cheaply still?

Thanks,
Kevin

kevinm

Enlightened
Thanks, Carbine15. With the $1.80 shipping on 2, we're back up to the eBay price. I was hoping that there'd be a few of these still floating around. Either that, or that the one I mentioned in the title would work ($3.85!).

Kevin

glire

Enlightened
Someone was selling the AMFL319 here on CPF. I bougth 10 for $35 IIRC.
I think Dae's offer couldn't be any better.

kevinm

Enlightened
glire said:
Someone was selling the AMFL319 here on CPF. I bougth 10 for $35 IIRC.
I think Dae's offer couldn't be any better.

I think that was the group buy by lebox97, which is closed. If there was another, I'd love to know who has them.

Thanks,
Kevin

Last edited:

kevinm

Enlightened
Okay guys, I've ordered some of these. They look to be the same size as the Arc clones and have an aluminum body. I'll let you know what I find.

Kevin

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have ordered one of those lights for someone at work. I only played with it for a bit. Surprisingly bright. The boost circuit seems to work very well.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
mine pulls about 110ma on an 1000mah ni-mh battery
and 120ma on a alkaline battery.

my arc-p aaa is a least twice a bright and has a wider beam.

my arc`s beam is also a lot whiter.

regards.

kevinm

Enlightened
TinderBox (UK) said:
mine pulls about 110ma on an 1000mah ni-mh battery
and 120ma on a alkaline battery.

my arc-p aaa is a least twice a bright and has a wider beam.

my arc`s beam is also a lot whiter.

regards.

Perfect! If I can fit it into the head of my Matterhorn (I think it will fit), I'll mount an SMJLED in it. With the 100mA rating, I think I am safe. If not, I've another and some small resistors. I've heard that these, properly driven, are brighter than an arc, but with less run time. They also have a pleasant spectrum.

Thanks,
Kevin

kevinm

Enlightened
DUQ said:
I have ordered one of those lights for someone at work. I only played with it for a bit. Surprisingly bright. The boost circuit seems to work very well.

How was the build quality? I was thinking about giving away those that I didn't need after the mod. I figure I'll kill one or two...

Did you happen to open the head?

Thanks,
Kevin

kevinm

Enlightened
Wow! Who knew I only had to post 20 times to become enlightened. So much easier than eating only rice and meditating...

Kevin

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
The build quality was pretty good. I think the head unscrews and the pill can be easily removed. It's been awhile since I had it (Nov '05) You cant go wrong with the price and non flashies will love them ;)

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
this is a far as i will go.

the led doesnt look very super to me, it looks like a normal 5mm led.

I would dump the led and use an smjled instead with the step-up.

Picture.jpg

regards.

Last edited:

kevinm

Enlightened
Thanks, guys. I'm glad I got 5; it looks like I might have to cut into the pill. That will probably kill a couple.

I want to take the driver, replace the LED with an SMJLED (or maybe even a Luxeon), and mount it in the stainless steel Matterhorn body I drilled for the SMJLED.

Kevin

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flash_108.jpg

Here is a picture, albeit not high quality, of the flashlight # 108.

I was surprised to see a China made AAA keychain powered light. I think it's still is the only one - not powered from multiple button cells.

The SMD components are on the PCB opposite to the LED.
I have come across two versions of this light; the first is non-potted, the other is potted with lacquer.
You can replace the LED with a Nichia CS, transforming the #108 into a bright and "respectable" keychain light. It is possible to epoxy the head properly, and make it waterproof.

The weak point of this light is the step-up converter; it is a wide-open blocked-oscillator, and its efficiency is not among the best. The output of the oscillator is rectified with a silicon, not Schotty, diode.
The inductor core is too big for the job; at least, it doesn't not saturate... but it adds some losses.

For the price, it is a very good light to give as present to non-flashaholics, that will be grateful to receive the #108! Arcs and Peaks are plainly too espensive to give as gift.

Regards

Anthony

Last edited:

kevinm

Enlightened
Ray_of_Light said:
I was surprised to see a China made AAA keychain powered light. I think it's still is the only one - not powered from multiple button cells.

The SMD components are on the PCB opposite to the LED.
I have come across two versions of this light; the first is non-potted, the other is potted with lacquer.
You can replace the LED with a Nichia CS, transforming the #108 into a bright and "respectable" keychain light. It is possible to epoxy the head properly, and make it waterproof.

The weak point of this light is the step-up converter; it is a wide-open blocked-oscillator, and its efficiency is not among the best. The output of the oscillator is rectified with a silicon, not Schotty, diode.
The inductor core is too big for the job; at least, it doesn't not saturate... but it adds some losses.

For the price, it is a very good light to give as present to non-flashaholics, that will be grateful to receive the #108! Arcs and Peaks are plainly too espensive to give as gift.

Regards

Anthony

Since you have it apart...what is the current to the LED? Also, do you have a suggestion as to what small inductor would be a good replacement for this one? Does it drive a Nichia CS fully?

My relatives all think I'm nuts for spending more than $15 on a flashlight; giving them Peaks or Arcs would be ridiculous.

Thanks,
Kevin

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kevin,

40 mA to the LED, 190 mA from the AAA cell.

Replacing the four-wires inductor (which, in reality is a transformer...) also require changing the value of a resistor and a capacitor. Too difficult...
It would be good, and much simpler, to replace the rectifier diode with a Schotty, if you have the SMD soldering equipment.
And, of course, the LED!

The brightness of the stock #108 is slightly lower than the Arc AAA- non P.

Anthony

kevinm

Enlightened
Ray_of_Light said:
Kevin,

40 mA to the LED, 190 mA from the AAA cell.

Replacing the four-wires inductor (which, in reality is a transformer...) also require changing the value of a resistor and a capacitor. Too difficult...
It would be good, and much simpler, to replace the rectifier diode with a Schotty, if you have the SMD soldering equipment.
And, of course, the LED!

The brightness of the stock #108 is slightly lower than the Arc AAA- non P.

Anthony

Anthony,

40mA might be too little to drive the SMJLED well at all (max for that one is 100mA). I might have to get a different light to scavange. Actually, I just measured the current pulled by this LED in a 2 AA Mag-lite; it's 50mA and is bright. Perhaps this will work...

Okay, changing the inductor is out. I'll try the diode swap if I can find a Schotty. The iron is a Weller, and I have the tip, but little experience with SMD's.

I'll try both; that's why I got 5!

Thanks,
Kevin