MAG-cr123 spacers

Scared of the dark

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know where i can purchase a spacer for running 3xcr123 in a 2d maglite? (Needs to deliver worldwide)
Whats the limit on this method? If I can find a suitable 27v lamp, does that mean i can run 9 cr123's in a 6d maglite?

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite CR123A spacer is just a piece of CPVC tubing. I took a cell with me to the local hardware shop, and found a piece that fits it well. I'm guessing the stuff I used is either 3/4 inch or 7/8 inch outer diameter. The inner diameter holds the CR123A cell perfectly.

Cut a piece to length, and wrap the outside with duct tape until it fits snugly inside the Mag.

I've used 3xCR123A in a Mag 2C. I'd expect you could do the same in a Mag 2D, but you would need a little more duct tape. I see no reason why you couldn't put nine cells inside a 6D, but I've never heard of anyone trying.

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
you can fit two next to each other the 2d's... you can get a holder from modamag... i can fit 6xcr123's in a 2d... ownage :D

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
jar3ds is right. :stupid:

I guess that means you could get 18 cells in a 6D. Whoa, that's a lotta volts. Or maybe you make them series/parallel to keep the voltage around a "normal" level (12 volts? 24 volts?) and increase your current capability.

I should have recognized this myself. I've got a tri-bored 2D, and I think it can take three CR123A cells across. Does that mean it can hold nine CR123A cells? I supposed if you tri-bored a 6D (who has got a boring bar that long?) you could fit in 27, but things are starting to get just plain silly at this point.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would 3 cr123s fit length wise in a 2D light? Putting 3 CR123s next to 2 D cells, the sizes don't match. What am I missing with this?

Bror Jace

Enlightened
Just so I get this right, the 'traditional' mod is 3 CR123s in a 2C Maglite? Then replace the 2 cell factory bulb with a 4 cell bulb?

Can a LED module be dropped into place instead? :confused:

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bror Jace said:
Just so I get this right, the 'traditional' mod is 3 CR123s in a 2C Maglite? Then replace the 2 cell factory bulb with a 4 cell bulb?

Traditional would be 2C + 3 CR123A primary cells + 5 cell krypton Mag bulb or 6 cell xenon Mag bulb. The stock reflector and lens can handle the extra heat from the bulb safely.

swampgator

Enlightened
Bror Jace said:

That is exactly the set up I'm currently running (4 cell Mag Krypton). I have some KPR118s (6 cell) to put in it when the 4 cell bulb goes.

X Racer

Enlightened
Bror Jace said:

Well, at that point you just need to decide between using the normal MagLED module or getting a heatsink and building some sort of "space needle" type modded light...

On a side note, I grew up in Saratoga... Dad still lives in Greenfield Center... :grin2:

Dchall8

Newly Enlightened
Omega Man said:
Would 3 cr123s fit length wise in a 2D light? Putting 3 CR123s next to 2 D cells, the sizes don't match. What am I missing with this?
You are missing 3/4 inch. I went to Lowe's and got a bag of bolts labeled as follows: Machine 8-32 x 3/4. There are 10 bolts and matching nuts in the bag. I also picked up a bag of four "fender" washers sized 1/8 x 3/4. You could use different diameter/thread 3/4" long bolts as long as the fender washers match the I.D. and are 3/4 inch O.D. You could probably use 1-inch long bolts, too.

To make the spacer I tightened one fender washer up against the head of the bolt with one nut and tightened another washer at the very end of the bolt with two nuts. Then I slid the spacer into the heater hose (1" O.D. 3/4" I.D.) I used to hold the batteries in place. The fender washer fits right inside the hose and also contacts the spring at negative post.

Having said that, the spring inside my flashlight is at least half the length of the flashlight, so you may not need a spacer.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I actually ended up not needing a spacer afterall. The spring stuck out far enough without the weight of the D cells pushing it down.

Stormstaff

Newly Enlightened
Lighthouse one said:
You can also run 2 18500 rechargeables.....they work great in a c cell with the 5 cell magnum star xenon bulb.

hmm, rechargeables are a good thing

Last edited:

Bror Jace

Enlightened
I just heard that Maglites are 20% off at Home Despot. Hmmm ... That $15 2C Mag will now only set me back $12. I'm glad I waited. :D

swampgator

Enlightened
Bror Jace said:
I just heard that Maglites are 20% off at Home Despot. Hmmm ... That $15 2C Mag will now only set me back $12. I'm glad I waited.

I just wish that Lowe's had C cell Mags on sale last month. Would have been nice picking up a few at $9.97.

Bror Jace

Enlightened
I bought a pretty purple one ... for $12. $15 less 20%. At that price I was tempted to buy another set of Minimags ... two for $12 (set has 1 x 2AA plus 1 x 2AAA).

Anyway, I took a 3.5" piece of 3/4" PVC pipe, cut a slice off one side (left about 5/6 of it intact) and got it to fit snugly inside the barrel of the 2C Mag. Then I dropped in 3 CR123s.

The CR123s still have some space around them ... that can be made up with tape but it doesn't appear to be necessary.

I tipped the light with a 5 cell krypton bulb (the extra one from my 5C Maglite) and now for $12 plus the cost of batteries, I have the brightest light I've ever owned. :D

Now I need to find some 5 cell xenon bulbs. ;)