Mag light head to LED

jc-isbell

Newly Enlightened
I was using a Maglight head for my nightly bicycle ride in heavy traffic. I used a halogen bulb and a comparatively large rechargeable battery pack. This was at least 10 years ago. Hence the lack of details.

I'd like to build up the Maglight head to modern very bright specs. Can anyone direct me to the read sub-topic or link? I have just returned to this forum and need some help navigating.

Thanks.

Jeff

DBee

Newly Enlightened
If you are in the UK, then The Torch Site in Wales has some great LED upgrades for Mag's. I had previously updated an old 6D to LED, which I have now managed to mod into a Mag 2D, thanks to some advice received here on CPF. (link below)

It probably isn't exactly what you are looking for, but it's a start!

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I built one of those a while one ago too. Used a D-sized Maglite and cut the head, rethreaded it and got myself a D0 Maglite. You can find the CPF post here (some pictures are still up).

As it was some time ago I'm also thinking about upgrading it. It has a warm XM-L inside, which is plenty of light. Mainly use it for mountainbiking so I only light it up when there are no people around. It is powered by 3x 18650 Li-Ions which are stored in a small bag under the bikeseat.

Also the milky lense is somewhat disolving, the milky layer seperated from the glass, so I need to swap that too.

I got many good ideas and help from the CPF bicycle light subforum.

PS: I would really be interested in what your light looked like, was it similar to mine?

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
And how about this one... :p

XOLMKMY.jpg

Delghi 3" head on a Maglite 4D, XHP35 Hi running at 2.5A on high, Taskled b3Flex driver, using 4 purple Efest 26500 cells.

Specs for the XHP35 Hi are Vf=12V, If=1050mA Max. As a result, it's a great thrower at 2.5A! :D