Nickel Oxyhydroxide batteries

Bullseye00

Newly Enlightened
I realize that they probably won't do very well in an endurance test, but has anyone done any testing with any of the nickel oxyhydroxide batteries(Panasonic Oxyride, Duracell Powerpix, etc...) that is more real-life? They have a higher voltage like lithium, but not as much endurance for extended usage. Maybe they'd do well in a more realistic pattern of use. They're great in digital cameras.
It also seems that Panasonic Oxyride has been taken off the market.(here in Central Florida anyway) Are they still out there anywhere?

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Panasonic ones.

HK Holiday. Very hot, 35c.

Olympus C4000 digital camera, display on briefly after each shot.

320 photo's, still good voltage, usual with nimh's around 250 shots.

Bullseye00

Newly Enlightened
I've observed similar results with my digital cameras. I was going to get rid of my Olympus camera because it just wasn't practical to use alkalines or NiMH.(It *eats* them.) But Panasonic Oxyrides actually made it economical to use.
I wonder if anyone has used these in lights or anything other than cameras?

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
a search HERE shows, what i remeber reading, and basically most of the testing shows the same results.

in intermittant use high drain devices up to 50% more run time
in low drain or continual use items, as bad as, Less than a regular alkaline.

so digital camera is perfect for it.
which also makes me think that a powerfull pocket light that is only on for a 1/2 minute at a time, would still fit that bill.

the lithium still whoops it hands down across the board. but then it aint cheap.

Last edited:

VWTim

Enlightened
I've got a set in my gf's Minimag with a SMJLED clone, and also run a AAA in my car alarm remote. It's a 2 way paging remote and the life seems to be pretty good.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Almost all digital cameras using AA cells draw a lot of current from their AA power source and alkaline batteries are just not up to the task. NiMH rechargeables work quite well, but obviously need occasional recharging from a conveniently available AC power plug. That's not always possible if you're in the wilderness or a remote area.

Therefore, I think these cells were developed simply to avoid having to recommend or supply Everyready lithium cells which do a very good job, but are expensive and patented.

Personally, I don't travel to wilderness areas much, so I use NiMH rechargeables 100% of the time in my digital camera.

cerbie

Enlightened
I would be concerned with oxyride performance due to atypical use. Sure, >95% of the time you're doing short bursts, but that one time you need it for an hour, it could crap out. It makes plenty of sense for digital cameras, but I couldn't use something with so strange performance in a tool I might need to rely on.