Cabela's XPG 12V Xenon Light Battey Help...

TxTroubleMaker

Enlightened
I picked this light up a few weeks ago and have been pretty happy with the light output. Cabela's advertises this at 180 lumens which is pretty bright, but being the flashlight nut that I am, I didn't think that was enough. I picked up the turbo head for it and it is supposedly rated at 240 lumens now. My problem is this thing drinks CR123's like they're water. Even at a buck a piece, 4 CR123's at a time is gonna get expensive quick. So here's the question, what kind of rechargeables can I use in this thing. What ever I use, I don't want to cook the bulb.:help:

lights001.jpg

LedSled

Newly Enlightened
You might read http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=126121 for some background. CPF members markcm and AW both sell rechargeable 123's and are reputable, helpful guys, but I doubt they have any direct experience with this light. They might, so you might try a PM to each.

Remember Star Trek, "... where no man has gone before ... ?"

Seriously, I wish you luck, and please let us all know how you made out.

lhivernant

Newly Enlightened
I've heard of people using three RCR123s to run a 12v assembly without anything blowing. I'd be more inclined to get a one cell extender and run three 17500s with a bit of a spacer. Should give better runtime and not nearly the cell abuse.

Joel

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 17650's from AW should do fine. That's what I've used in my M90 with the 12 volt lamp only problem I had was the they are a little loose as its made for 18650's. The voltage on the 2 17650's is 7.4 volts ( 3.6 /3.7 per cell) each 17560 replaces 2 cr123 primaries. Or if you wanna get it bored out you can use 18650's. Any beamshots yet? A cheaper version of the M4 with a smaller bezel.

Last edited:

TxTroubleMaker

Enlightened
big beam said:
Hi TxT
I have the same light and I use the 9V TH with 2 of AW's 17670.Very bright

I thought about getting the 9V version but I got such a good deal on this one, I just couldn't pass it up. This light was in the "Bargain Cave" section at my local Cabela's for $35(regular MSRP is $49.99). I had a $10 gift card that I received in the mail from Cabela's so I got a $50 light for $25 plus tax. The turbo head was $30, so I have a 240 lumen light for $50, not too shabby!