LED map light recomendations?

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Folks!

It's been a while since I've noticed anything about LED map lights being discussed. A friend of mine just bought a new car (a scion something or other) and evidently it has no maplights! So while I've given him a list of lights he needs to have in the car (he bought a Fenix on my recommendation a while back and loves it BTW) He needs some area type light or something. He's thinking of something that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket. I've seen some horrible cheap things that do that, but haven't seen any good ones.

Should I just build him something with a uFlex driver or something and some loc-link? :D Or is there a product out there that I haven't found that you can recommend to me!

Thanks,

Illum

Flashaholic
LED maplight? i dont remember seeing car models with it built in, its always has been labeled as accessory and plugs into the aux....the "ciggie plug"

scion...did he buy the box-shaped one? Scion XB?

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Photon has a FlexBeam gooseneck accessory that holds one of their lights and mounts the light either with a magnet or a suction cup. Since the Photons come in a variety of colors, this makes a great option for only about $25 including a white light or for about $12 (while on sale) for the stand only. Hint: in car use is better with a covert model.

Osram and a few other companies make rally navigation lights. Some of the options include white or red lamps, different lengths of goosenecks, different types of mounts, and variable light output. Prices vary.

What does he need the light to do? Trust me, driving and reading a map isn't the smartest thing to do at night. If he's looking to illuminate the dash or radio, there might be other options. Depending what the need is for, there are also color choices to possibly be considered.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont believe he plans on reading a map himself while driving, but rather to let his wife do that and also light up the baby bag or other such things (they just had their first baby a month ago or so) without waking up a sleeping baby in the backseat by turning on the dome light.

Since he lives in Chicago I've already sold him on using energizer lithium AA's in a flashlight for the car, that way it will light in the winter time when it spend weeks at 40 below there... But he wanted something for the front that didn't need batteries and didn't need for him to remember to change them and check them.

So some gooseneck light is in the offing, just dont know what yet. I like the photon thing, I'll have to check that out, but I fear that it wont be bright enough and it will likely get used a lot so the funky little batteries would be a negative.