Suggestions on a inexpensive watch with compass

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took a moment to browse EDCforums today, and saw a thread that struck me as really interesting. While always on the hunt for a good cheap car compass (the one I have now was $0.10 at a yard sale), I like the thought of having a compass at all times on me. I have one that's basically a toy, that came with AW's cells (no offense AW, I do like it!), and figured the slip-on ones for a watch band wouldn't be much better. I never knew they made watches nowadays with intergrated compasses, but one would be a great thing to save up for.
Anyone have suggestions for one under $60? Is that even realistic? Also, where to get a decent one? I already checked out County Comm, and would have no problem going with them.

Even something like this looks neat, and might be worth it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/SPORTSMANS-COMPASS-WATCH-SURVIVAL-ESSENTIAL-NIB_W0QQitemZ200023286276QQihZ010QQcategoryZ31387QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
The watch I started wearing a few months ago is an old Timex Indiglo a friend was throwing away, so I'm not after anything flashy or with lots of bells and whistles. Just a analog face, non-metal strap (hairy arms:ohgeez:) waterproof, and backlit would do.

Last edited:

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a used one of these that you can have free if you want it. I think I can find the instructions somewhere in the house. It needs a new CR1620 battery now but was working fine when I replaced it with a new G-Shock a year or so ago.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get cheap £1, $2 compasses that slide onto your watch band.

I have several, very useful abroad in large cities etc.

(I get most of mine from HK, but they are available in UK too)

cy

Flashaholic
get the best clip on compass available, Suunto ($12)
you really want a totally dependable compass, if your going to EDC it.

here's Suunto in action with TSAR...

tsar 3.JPG

cy

Flashaholic
still stratching my head.... as to why anyone would want an electronic compass?

since I've never used one. what is the reason?

RebelRAM

Enlightened
This is my EDC watch
http://www.timex.com/bin/detail.tmx?item=048148486515

and I also have one of these, but it needs a new battery
http://www.timex.com/bin/detail.tmx?item=048148778627

The electronic compass is ok. I have used it quite a bit, but I have found that even when properly calibrated, it's still not as accurate as I would like. It's good for telling you rough direction, basically like any of the electronic compasses in most vehicles.

I have owned several of the button style compasses, even carried one on my keychain for awhile, until got reversed by 180 degrees. I'm guessing I had something else magnetic in my pocket that killed it.

I wouldn't use the digital watch compasses or the button style compasses for orienteering, but they work ok for general direction.

I have several Silva compasses that I keep in various places and even have one in my BOB that stays in the car. I look at it this way, if I am in a situation where I need a compass, I probably need a real compass, but if I don't have one I think I can still make do with my watch in combination with the sun and stars.

As far as watches go, Timex isn't real expensive and they're pretty tough too!

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Indiglo, I was thinking something more like those Maratacs that Carpe and Bogie are getting, with analog face and analog compass. I've had zero luck with digital compasses so far, and I love seeing "the sweep" of analog stuff.
A MaraTac would be perfect, and man is that thing sweet looking. I'd have to make a point to check my watch in a crowd just so other people would notice it...:sssh: But it's a little over my price range, unless I was feeling extra kind to myself.

Don, that is a VERY generous offer, and I will seriously think about it over the weekend. I'll PM if I take you up on it. Again, thanks!

Cy, how accurate are those Suuntos? I agree about needing it to be dependable if I'm going to carry it. I'm not totally against slip-ons, I just haven't seen one worth a crap yet, so it'd be refreshing if those worked well. And, it'd save me about $40.

Thanks for the posts everyone. It's very helpful. It may even be worth making a WTB thread here instead of looking at the things on Ebay.

cy

Flashaholic
clip on Suunto has been very_reliable and accurate for me.
originally purchased my first one in Hong kong for a trip across China. Served me well that trip and hince forward a Suunto compass lives on my watch band.

purchased my second one at academy, then they dropped it for some reason. my first one lives on my boy's seiko 007 with rhino band.

note this Suunto clip compass is not like a typical cheap button compass. this is made more like an instrument.

yes, button compass' can be flipped if exposed to an extremely strong magnetic force. simply re-expose to strong magnet with correct orientation to flip back.

for real orienteering, of course I'd use a full size compass. but like they say the best flashlight/tool is the one on your person. :D

Last edited:

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
cy said:
still stratching my head.... as to why anyone would want an electronic compass?

since I've never used one. what is the reason?

one less device to lug around... And it's often easier to read too, a lot easier to read a bearing in numerals than counting little markers on a normal compass.

When I buy a new GPSr, I want it to have a built in compass too, so it always shows the right direction to a waypoint even when not moving.

Last edited:

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast

cy

Flashaholic
from links, silva button compass looks good too.

but the only one I've actually tested in the field is Suunto. can without reservations recomend the Suunto.

these are all such low priced, no reason not to get the best!