Best mod for 3D Mag still using 3x D Alkalines?

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I like the ROP and Mag85, the 3D is 1cell too big for ROP, Mag85 is too pricey for me, and both require a bunch of NiMH (and specific ones at that). I'd prefer to stick with alkalines. So, any interesting incan mods that are significantly brighter than stock (and preferably brighter than my TL-3 and M2/C2-3cell)? Or are 3x alkalines just not enough for anything?...it's only 4.5V afterall. I'd be ok using CR123s too.
So, if no incan mods, what's a good LED replacement? I get confused w/ all the terralux offerings.

paulr

Flashaholic
I dunno about "interesting", but the $1.29 Radio Shack XPR103 bulb is a nice improvement over the stock bulb.

Any Mag 3D mod brighter than your TL3 will probably need a metal reflector, so you're back on the hotwire treadmill.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Well, pretty much what paulr summed up regarding incandescent "upgrade" on 3 D sized alkalines. . .

I have the TerraLUX.DB-3W and it's pretty bright in it's own right. But the latest offering is the TerraLUX.MaxStar.DB-3W which may be outputting the 1st gen ones.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the LED, you might want to try the Mag LED module, you should be able to pick one of those up locally. For an incandescent, you could use 6 AAs in D sized adapters and use a dummy battery (or make your own to fill the space,) and use a 6 cell Mag-Num Star bulb while retaining the stock reflector and lense.

I'd be inclined to use the Mag LED in the 3 cell and just get a 2 cell for the 6AA-2D mod since the Mags are relatively cheap these days.

jsr said:
While I like the ROP and Mag85, the 3D is 1cell too big for ROP, Mag85 is too pricey for me, and both require a bunch of NiMH (and specific ones at that). I'd prefer to stick with alkalines. So, any interesting incan mods that are significantly brighter than stock (and preferably brighter than my TL-3 and M2/C2-3cell)? Or are 3x alkalines just not enough for anything?...it's only 4.5V afterall. I'd be ok using CR123s too.
So, if no incan mods, what's a good LED replacement? I get confused w/ all the terralux offerings.

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would also recommend the Terralux TLE-DB3 (Diamond DB-3W) drop-in. It has a much better heat sink than the Mag LED bulb.

I love mine! :twothumbs

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really? What is the "much better heat sink" on the DB3?
As I understand it, the DB3 is a direct drive with no regulation and it drops almost to 50% brightness within the first hour of use. And there's some guy in Blaine WA that claims that Terralux doesn't even make that module, and that he does.

NutSAK said:
I would also recommend the Terralux TLE-DB3 (Diamond DB-3W) drop-in. It has a much better heat sink than the Mag LED bulb.

I love mine! :twothumbs

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys. Some questions:

1. Is TerraLux MaxStar DB-3W regulated? It sounds like the normal DB-3W/DB3 isn't.

2. How much brigther is the XPR103 bulb?

3. Brighteyez - that Mag-Num Star 6cell bulb sounds very interesting. I'm just looking to do something with my existing Mags, so don't really want to purchase additional ones. Some questions:
3.1 Can it be run on 6 alkaline AAs? Or does it need NiMH?
3.2 I was under the impression fitting 3 AAs requires boring the body. Can the 3AA->D adapters fit w/o boring?

Thanks.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure the TerraLux DB-3 is the same as the "normal" DB-3 that is also marketed under the Diamond name. There was some guy that claimed to be from Diamond who claimed to supply that module to TerraLux rather than vice-versa. You might want to take a look at flashlightreviews.com to take a look at the numbers from the Diamond Mag (DB-3) and those from the Mag LED. There really doesn't appear to be any difference that would be detectable by the eye (as opposed to be obsessed by numbers.) While some may continue to promote the Diamond or Terralux product, I suspect that Mag's ability to mass produce the product and offer it more affordably, and stand behind it, gives the mainstream consumer a bit more security (not to mention convenience, since you can just go to the store and pick one up without having to fool around with mail-order.)

With regards to the 6AA incandescent, you can do it with whatever you want, within reason. The 2D Mag is a good host if you need something that is going to be reliable and can be abused (e.g. a public safety situation.) Just to prove a point, I've also done it with a 50¢ Garrity 2D that is sold in bulk (i.e. no batteries, no packaging) from Frys ($2.99 in retail packaging), and a $1.68 Eveready 2D from Wal-Mart (which I kinda like for it's compactness). The whole thing came out to be about $10 (or less if you don't use Krypton bulb instead of the Xenon.) Best of all, if you use a cheap 2D body, you don't have to adjust the spring like you do on the Mag switch.

You can get the adapters from Litemania in the Dealers corner. I don't think that the adapters that he is selling were ever intended to be a D sized adapter, they just happened to be close to that size by dumb luck. The adapter looks like it was intended for use as a round 3 AA battery holder for some device that needed a 4.5V DC input. In anycase the diameter of the holder is actually smaller than a D sized battery, so you won't need to bore anything out, and just to reiterate, you can do this with many 2D flashlights, not just the Mag. And yes, you can use AA alkalines though it is probably pretty close if not fully at the limit of it's ability to deliver current (it'll work.) I use NiMH because they can deliver more current, and because I can recharge a set of them in a car in about 20-25 minutes (using 2 15 minute chargers for 6 batteries.)

I think you're thinking of some of the 4AA to D homemade adapters that some members are selling here that require boring of the Mag body.

jsr said:
Thanks guys. Some questions:

1. Is TerraLux MaxStar DB-3W regulated? It sounds like the normal DB-3W/DB3 isn't.

2. How much brigther is the XPR103 bulb?

3. Brighteyez - that Mag-Num Star 6cell bulb sounds very interesting. I'm just looking to do something with my existing Mags, so don't really want to purchase additional ones. Some questions:
3.1 Can it be run on 6 alkaline AAs? Or does it need NiMH?
3.2 I was under the impression fitting 3 AAs requires boring the body. Can the 3AA->D adapters fit w/o boring?

Thanks.

Knight Lights

Enlightened
HMMM....

Some guy in Blaine, Washington? Who is he? Is he a member here?

I've been there many times, I'd like to meet him!

Bill

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, he's a member here though it's been a while since I've seen a posting from him. He has a site that sells the DB-3 modules and he claims to be the manufacturer. The site has several names (none of which I can remember), but I remember that his business address was a block away from the one that the Ax-Shop site used before they disappeared. Don't know if the two businesses may have been related.

Seems that my knowledge of Blaine is limited to the Arco station where I fill up before I reach the border ;) .

Knight Lights said:
HMMM....

Some guy in Blaine, Washington? Who is he? Is he a member here?

I've been there many times, I'd like to meet him!

Bill