Big, meaty light

Sable

Enlightened
Hey guys,

Well, it's another "Noobie Asks A Question" thread!

My flashlight collection has gotten off to what appears to be an auspicious start. I have an aluminum GatLight V2 on order (pending confirmation from the LumenCraft guys) which I fully intend on being a mostly-EDC light. In the event that doesn't work out, or I just find myself with a need for another light, I'll be grabbing a Fenix L2T with a CR123 body once the Fenix-Store has them.

However, that leaves me with needing a light with some heft. A big, meaty, solid slab of LED that will light up the mountains like the hammer of Thor.

Well, maybe not quite that extreme.

But I do a lot of work on remote wireless communication towers, and sometimes it gets darker faster than I like, and those are times when I need a good, high-powered light. I think I'm looking for throw more than spill (although spill is good!), and a reasonably long runtime. Something maybe the size of my 3-D Mag that hangs out in my rig now.

Regulation would be preferable (which seems to rule a lot of Elektro-Lumens things out...), and I'd prefer a price somewhat less than 200 dollars, although I willingly pay for quality. Runtime is also important, although I'm thinking D cells probably feed Luxeons and Crees pretty handily?

Does anything like this exist out there in the wild, or am I going to be chasing the pipe dream?

Thanks in advance, CPF!

benighted

Enlightened
First off I'd reccomend a LEDbeam(ledbeam.com) if you wan't throw from a fairly solid light but don't wan't to spend too much money.

The real quality high power stuff can be had from elektro lumens (elektrolumens.com) for a bit more cash.

Last edited:

daveman

Enlightened
You should definitely check out the AE PL 24w. There are already reviews and beamshots in the forum. It's HID powered, from what I've heard, it's extremely bright and lasts almost two hours on a charge (it's rechargeable). Runs about $350 new. It's about the size of a 4D maglite, I think.

Sable

Enlightened
The K2-Stunner from Elektrolumens has my attention...1.25 hours of battery isn't too bad. It's a mostly-emergency light, and that emergency is "needing to be seen on a dark mountain." Anyone know if lithium D-cells will ever become available? :)

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Sable and welcome at CPF:)

You should definately go with a multiple Luxeon light.

I don't know about your runtime needs, but also think about the recharging time of the batterie source.

Take also a look to member "milkyspit"'s mods.

Good luck and best regards

_____
Tom

marxs

Enlightened
+1 with milkyspits mods, especially the M180...or if you want more lumens the M240 or even the M series heads for the M6. The M180 cant be beat from my opinion, 180 lumens for 3 hours running...full regulation. Looks like that fits the bill! plus it looks oh-so-sexy..slap on a SW02 clickie on the M3.

EDIT: since you have a mag, you can send that over and have him mod it into an M series light i think...not sure about the mag sizes, not really familiar with those.

mark