Glove box light

Buck_nekid

Newly Enlightened
Looking through the forums for "the one." I need a light to be reliable, can go from -20f to 130f, powered by a 18650 and be easy on the wallet. I see there is a lot people liking the convoy s2+. Is there any other lights that fits my criteria? I have a Vapcell S4+ charger and various 18650 cells. Tell me what light you would choose and why.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Wide selection on that. You sure you want an 18650 light in a car... something known for high temps... maybe a 2x123 primary cell light might be better?

Plenty of lights can run on either selection.

Here is a nice, 2 level light. Runs from 1x18650 or 2x123. Made in Alabama.

Buck_nekid

Newly Enlightened
Wide selection on that. You sure you want an 18650 light in a car... something known for high temps... maybe a 2x123 primary cell light might be better?

Plenty of lights can run on either selection.

Here is a nice, 2 level light. Runs from 1x18650 or 2x123. Made in Alabama.

I keep forgetting about the danger in these cells. The 123 is a better choice. Would you use rechargeable or is the danger still there?

Sorry about the basic questions, I'm a light noob.

turbodog

Flashaholic
It's not a danger issue. Yes, the 18650 (and most any lithium cell) can be angry if treated poorly. It's a matter of self-discharge and the high temps in a car's glovebox. The primary cell, 123, will survive that environment for YEARS without problems (or being dead when you need it).

18650 does have good/low self-discharge when stored at about 40% charge and ROOM temp. If it's fully charged or hot, it goes down much faster.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a look at the Nebo Lil' Larry, I have one in my glove box fitted with two Lithium AAA's.

Two white output levels plus a red flashing mode for warning other motorists.

It also has a magnetic tail cap so can easily illuminate a wheel change at night etc.

The Big Larry version is also available that runs on AA's.

caelyx

Newly Enlightened
I've got a yellow Surefire G2X in my glovebox. Runs on 2xCR123A batteries, which should still be good whenever it's needed - and two spare batteries in a holder next to the light.
(Probably should upgrade to a Malkoff MD2 one of these days.)

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
I need a light to be reliable, can go from -20f to 130f, powered by a 18650 and be easy on the wallet.

My own go-to light turned out to be: a Malkoff M61 (or M361) drop-in module in a fairly inexpensive head/body/tail assembly (SolarForce in my case, since discontinued). Running off a single quality 18650 cell, it has sufficient light for me within ~25yds, and it works well in sub-0ºF and over-100ºF temps. Every couple of months I swap in a freshly-charged battery. And if I'm going on a trip I take along a few spare cells. Works really well.

The nice thing about the Malkoff Devices drop-in LED modules is that they're in a brass housing, with fully-potted electronics, and tough as they come. Very reliable. IMO, even if you're spending $50-60 for the drop-in itself, it still turns out to be a very good value compared to much of the schlock out there. Can opt for one of the higher-voltage M61 or M91 variants if you prefer a 2x18650 or 3x18650 setup.

Last edited:

turbodog

Flashaholic
I've got a yellow Surefire G2X in my glovebox. Runs on 2xCR123A batteries, which should still be good whenever it's needed - and two spare batteries in a holder next to the light.
(Probably should upgrade to a Malkoff MD2 one of these days.)

Just threw away all my glovebox lights and replaced with brand new g2x in yellow. And yeah, I've got 5 cars. :confused:

These lights appear to run fine from 2x123 or 1x16650 protected.

1696047993219.png

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
Looking through the forums for "the one." I need a light to be reliable, can go from -20f to 130f, powered by a 18650 and be easy on the wallet. I see there is a lot people liking the convoy s2+. Is there any other lights that fits my criteria? I have a Vapcell S4+ charger and various 18650 cells. Tell me what light you would choose and why.
I am one of those who really like the convoy s2+.

I don't worry about an 18650 in the glove box. In fact I have a CNQ mini in mine. I actually forgot about it being in there and discovered it when looking for a fuse in the glove box. It must have been in there for a couple of years without use. I was surprised that it lit up brightly when I gave it a try. If it was NiMH, things would have been different, probably nearly dead. I pulled the battery and put it on charge, it was still at about 75-80% capacity and topped off in a short period of time.

I keep a Rayovac 2AA indestructible in a vinyl pouch attached to my ashtray. Inserted into a Red traffic wand diffuser, for immediate use if needed. I load it with rechargeable Duraloops, which I top off periodically, and have L91s as a back up supply.

I also have a cheap $10 Rayovac 18650 light (Walmart carries them) in the vinyl pouch. It is rechargeable, without a removable battery. It works. It is meant to be a giveaway light.

1696068185316.png

LOL, I guess it is time to update this picture.

Here is a picture of that cheap Rayovac, mixed in with some S2+ lights, and others.

1696068704729.png

Last edited:

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Several good suggestions (including the MD2, which I recently acquired), but my choice for this application is the Streamlight PolyTac X. 1x18650 / 2xCR123A / 2xLFP16340 fuel, Ten-Tap UI options, glass lens, highly durable, 'Assembled in USA', real FL1-compliant impact rating of 3 (three!) meters, and <$50USD all-in. Oh, and it's from Streamlight!

Check out the 'Documentation +' stuff for more details, including the 'Fact Sheet':

EDIT: I neglected to mention that when viewing SL 18650 light run times / graph, keep in mind that per FL-1, those are tested using the supplied 2600 mAh cell. Using other industry standard format 18650s today, they're more likely to be 3400+, so your mileage will vary - in that case, higher than indicated. Do your own math.

Last edited:

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Several good suggestions (including the MD2, which I recently acquired), but my choice for this application is the Streamlight PolyTac X. 1x18650 / 2xCR123A / 2xLFP16340 fuel, Ten-Tap UI options, glass lens, highly durable, 'Assembled in USA', real FL1-compliant impact rating of 3 (three!) meters, and <$50USD all-in. Oh, and it's from Streamlight!

Check out the 'Documentation +' stuff for more details, including the 'Fact Sheet':

EDIT: I neglected to mention that when viewing SL 18650 light run times / graph, keep in mind that per FL-1, those are tested using the supplied 2600 mAh cell. Using other industry standard format 18650s today, they're more likely to be 3400+, so your mileage will vary - in that case, higher than indicated. Do your own math.

Edit bump for important specification clarification (in bold).

turbodog

Flashaholic
2xCR123 cells can become imbalanced in hot car situation and become a fire risk. I have a 1x123 Malkoff MDC, and a floody single AA lumintop, and a 3C Maglight using AA lithium in adapters in the car.

I have not seen this, but am willing to go along at least academically.

That said... I'd bet on the 123 format over anything else.

Larger fire risk probably from the gasoline engine and massive lead-acid battery under the hood.

Poppy

Flashaholic
IIRC the warnings about Li Ion cells were due to fires, etc from CR123 of CR123a cells in series. I don't recall which style of cells.

The writings are probably in the first four pinned threads in this section of the forum.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Streamlight 1L-1AA running either a CR123A (brighter) or AA L91 (longer run time) is a good light for the glove box. It will also run on alkaline a AA or even an AAA if you need to find some replacements on the road.

Fuzzywuzzies

Newly Enlightened
Just had an adventure that's going to make me late to bed.

I have been carrying my new Zebralight SC600 Fd Mk IV Plus in my service truck lately; mostly to trial it as a replacement for my EDC Elzetta Bravo. I have discovered that it is not to my taste for that purpose, but it does make an excellent glovebox / vehicle light. Tonight was a prime example….

Some malicious orangutans threw Z-nails (a special type of nail with the unfortunate property of literally always falling with a pointy side up) all over the freeway on my route. I somehow missed all of them, despite having ten tyres to aim with… but a heap of other people got punctures.

I pulled over and put the beacons on, and called the cops while searching a couple of kms of motorway for nails, retrieving a half dozen or so. I was very glad I had the Zebralight. It's extremely bright and has an excellent short- to mid-range beam, so that made it a lot safer and easier to signal traffic and identify and recover nails.

I gave the nails to the cops and then helped folks with tyre changing. (I carry lifting equipment, power tools, torque wrenches, and so on). They were very grateful.
The cops said that the orangutans often throw Z-nails out targeting them, so it might have been some dudes they were chasing earlier.
They have closed the freeway in both directions, and brought in crews to search up all the nails.

No photos sorry, I was too busy trying not to get run over.
I'm off home to charge my batteries.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
A mini Maglite AA with lithium cells. New Minis put out around 300lm, lithium AA handle heat/cold with no issues, if they get drained during use, you can find AA cells everywhere. Based on my own experience, glovebox lights used once in a blue moon, MM make plenty of light to change a tire or work under the hood. or pretty much anything else. They are cheap , simple, reliable.