• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Could I replace my ux1j on my aleph1...

gadagain

Newly Enlightened
.... 1 cr123, nexgen 750, with one cree xre led?

Anyone knows the beam patern that one will get with the cree xre on a 27 mm reflector?

Thanks in advance.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Aleph 1 is not going to be a good choice to swap the LuxIII with a Cree XR-E LED.

In Don's words:
"The Aleph 1 could probably be modified to host a XR LE and a 19 mm reflector and the Aleph 3 could probably be modified to host a XR LE and a 27XR reflector but in both cases, the head OD would be excessive considering the optic. I have a new McR-17XR reflector coming that could possibly be mated to the XR LE and hosted by the Aleph 2. These all would require some custom work that I know I personally won't be engaged in."

So, in other words, you need a longer reflector to be able to properly focus the Cree XR-E, thus the shorter reflector of the Aleph 1 doesn't make it a prime candidate, which is why Don suggested one could put a A19XR-E reflector in it (which has a smaller diameterm, but is around the same length, making it a better candidate for the XR-E), although if that's what has to happen, why not just get an A19 head :shrug:

I'm sure someone will figure something out... it's just a matter of time.

john

easilyled

Flashaholic
I've been thinking about this a lot because I have 2 Aleph 1's and there is a temptation to want to replace everything with CreeXREs

However my Saruth M1T which also uses an Aleph 1 reflector (McR27)
and happens to have a UX1J set on a DB917 is a VERY bright light in itself

Its just as bright as my surefire L4 (5W) and that is a bright light - 100 lumens output.

So in actual fact although my A19 Cree XRE is still brighter, there isn't a huge difference, although there is a significant one.

However I'm sure Lumileds will respond to Cree and bring out a very bright luxeon that can compete with the XRE, so rather than being impatient and selling off all or trying to replace all the luxeon-based-lights, maybe its worth holding on to them - especially as the Aleph system is so easy to modify and is so versatile.

gadagain

Newly Enlightened
easilyled said:
I've been thinking about this a lot because I have 2 Aleph 1's and there is a temptation to want to replace everything with CreeXREs

However my Saruth M1T which also uses an Aleph 1 reflector (McR27)
and happens to have a UX1J set on a DB917 is a VERY bright light in itself

Its just as bright as my surefire L4 (5W) and that is a bright light - 100 lumens output.

So in actual fact although my A19 Cree XRE is still brighter, there isn't a huge difference, although there is a significant one.

However I'm sure Lumileds will respond to Cree and bring out a very bright luxeon that can compete with the XRE, so rather than being impatient and selling off all or trying to replace all the luxeon-based-lights, maybe its worth holding on to them - especially as the Aleph system is so easy to modify and is so versatile.

Nice point. Thanks.

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking like easilyled. Lumileds won't just drop out in this technology race, and i would expect that the Luxeon line will see equivalent gains in efficiency at some point along the line so we can easily upgrade our current Alephs.

How long that will take is a good question, though. It likely won't be next month, but I sure hope its less than a year. Meanwhile, I'll continue to use and love my Alephs!