Rayovac Roughneck Flashlights

lightUup

Newly Enlightened
f1248901wnbh7.jpg

While digging through the garage last night, I found a box of assorted flashlights. Most of them are Rayovac Roughnecks, like the ones pictured above.

I have a 3D version and a few 2Ds (all without boxes). I decided to try the 3D, so I popped in 3-Duracells and turned it on. The 3D was fairly bright the beam was super even and round. You can adjust the head so it'll focus or flood like a Maglite. No matter how I adjusted it, the beam would just produce a beautiful round and even beam, unlike Maglites.

It seems like these flashlights are already out of production. The quality doesn't seem to be that bad, the body feels like it's made from polymer or something.

Why did these flashlights get put out of production? I mean, they don't seem to be that bad...

Who here has a bunch of Rayovac Roughnecks laying around? What more info. can you give about these flashlights?

Thx.

-lightUup

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
lightUup said:
The quality doesn't seem to be that bad, the body feels like it's made from polymer or something...Why did these flashlights get put out of production? I mean, they don't seem to be that bad...Who here has a bunch of Rayovac Roughnecks laying around? What more info. can you give about these flashlights?

I can't give you info on when they were first produced, and when they went out of production. But, I first noticed them sometime in the late 80s to early 90s, and bought a bunch of them. Rugged, fairly water-proof, and reliable lights that were great for toolbox, glovebox, etc.

I bought at least half-a-dozen of the 2AAs for backpacking and general outdoor use. Liked them better than the 2AA MiniMags, because they had decent switches, the beam was at least as good, and they were much cheaper.

Wish they were still in production. Wish I still had a few of each type, as I'd like to try these with LED dropins.

Alas, it seems that when Ray-O-Vac or Eveready manage to produce a really good design, they keep it in production for a few years then promptly drop it.

Don't know why. Probably marketing people convince the management that they need to produce new and sexy models, rather than sticking with the tried and true models.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have a 2D roughneck, it is a rather sturdy light that I have been considering modding to LED use. I rarely use it due to I like LED based luxeon lights better than PR incans now.

ericjohn

Enlightened
I recently purchased one (2D) off of ebay (here I go again bringing new life to an ancient thread.) It set me back $7.95 with free shipping. There are a few more available at the moment but I do not know how long it may last. There is also a 3D model for a similar price.

I have had it since last week and I must say that I do enjoy it. I was stepping out of a car to go to the bank and it fell on concrete out of my back pocket. The body absorbed the fall nicely, but the HPX21 bulb was knocked out of focus. The bulb still works though. I placed a KPR102 because I had to have a better beam

That's the second NOS flashlight I drop on concrete in less than a two month period. Both survived (a 1990s Bright Star 1618 was the other victim.) Both bulbs survived but were knocked out of focus.

There are a few Roughneck flashlights at my local Motion Industries branch for roughly the same price. There may be other brick and mortar stores in anyone else's area that also carry them.

I felt that I need to contribute that.

markr6

Flashaholic
I almost forgot! I have a 2D and 3D model stashed away somewhere in my basement. The gray ones with a red square click switch and adjustible beam.

I'll need to dig those out and give them a try. I had these from when I was a kid, I'm guessing 1995 or so. I remember playing with them in the lake since they were waterproof and they floated!

markr6

Flashaholic
Instead of starting a new thread, I'll add these here since ericjohn's post reminded me. So here they are! 2D and 3D models stashed away in a box under my bed, garage, basement, etc. for at least 15 years. Both still work (fresh batteries of course). Figured I would do a quick comparison with an L10 just for giggles.

rouchnecks.jpg

2D_L10.jpg

2D_L10_beam.jpg

We've come a long way :laughing:

1pt21

Enlightened
LOL.. What a crap beam! I can't stand ringy incans, completely unusable to me.

I see that it is a focus-able light, is it at least on full flood in this shot??

markr6

Flashaholic
LOL.. What a crap beam! I can't stand ringy incans, completely unusable to me.

I see that it is a focus-able light, is it at least on full flood in this shot??

I wouldn't say all the way flood, but probably over 75% of the way there. I goes from laser, to flood so wide it hardly looks like it's on. Junk!

1pt21

Enlightened
I wouldn't say all the way flood, but probably over 75% of the way there. I goes from laser, to flood so wide it hardly looks like it's on. Junk!

Thanks for that, sounds kinda like the mag focus function then. Completely a gimmick, that for some odd reason some ppl feel they must have.

Ehh, if it was me and I HAD to use it; I'd frost the bulb like I do with all my crappy beamed incans..

markr6

Flashaholic
Thanks for that, sounds kinda like the mag focus function then. Completely a gimmick, that for some odd reason some ppl feel they must have.

Ehh, if it was me and I HAD to use it; I'd frost the bulb like I do with all my crappy beamed incans..

I found a 2D Maglite in the same box too! Looks nice, pewter finish. But the same dirty focusing. Nice back in it's day I guess.

1pt21

Enlightened
I found a 2D Maglite in the same box too! Looks nice, pewter finish. But the same dirty focusing. Nice back in it's day I guess.

MANY nice ican mods to be done with that 2d!!!

Pewter is one of my favorites :candle:

sadtimes

Enlightened

Somewhere on cpf there is a thread on how to "calibrate" the focus on a mag, when its right, they make very nice and tight beams.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Instead of starting a new thread, I'll add these here since ericjohn's post reminded me. So here they are! 2D and 3D models stashed away in a box under my bed, garage, basement, etc. for at least 15 years. Both still work (fresh batteries of course). Figured I would do a quick comparison with an L10 just for giggles.

rouchnecks.jpg

We've come a long way :laughing:

I have a 2D model that I took a mag LED dropin and cut the plastic holder from the flashlight to make it fit and it is now a decent focusable LED model. I rarely use it because it is so bulky and heavy compared to the 2AA LED lights I have but it still sits by my monitor here in case I need it in a power outage as it can throw pretty well and flood even though ringy works too.

1pt21

Enlightened
Somewhere on cpf there is a thread on how to "calibrate" the focus on a mag, when its right, they make very nice and tight beams.

Yes, I'm well aware. I love the throw of the deep mag reflector. But, that's exactly my point "when it's right" which is basically one fixed point within a whole range of travel. The ability to focus some of the cammed metal reflectors is nice to tune in whatever bulb you decide to throw in there. I do wish there was a better way to lock it in once you reach the sweet spot.

I don't find anything but the point of tightest focus useful in a mag.