Fenix E0 vs E1

GeoScouter

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have the E0 and E1? If so which do you prefer? I was looking to get one of them but undecided on which to get.

Steve

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got them both.

The EO is just as advertized, a 5mm nichia. Nice workmanship, and all. Good light.

I bought a friend an E1, read about the blotchy, ringy beam, but after using it, I bought one for myself.

A VERY useful increase in lumens, still with a decent runtime.

The ringy complaints are for white wall hunters, not real life. A very bright little light. A keeper.

I sold the EO.

EsthetiX

Enlightened
The E0 is claimed to be 17 hours longer running time than E1 by fenix. It's a little smaller too. Actually I think it's the smallest aaa light there is. I haven't even changed the battery yet since I got it and it's still just as bright as day one.

I also have an L0P SE. Of all the small lights that's the pocket king. Love that gem.

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Both are nice in my opinion. I carry the E0 in my watch pocket, knowing it will always be ready with its long regulated runtime. The E1 gets used around the house nightly, running on rechargeables. Both have a blueish tint, but not a problem in actual use.

Geoff

carrot

Flashaholic
The E0 is on my keychain as my emergency light. I figure in a case where I really need light, I'll care more about runtime than brightness. Besides that, I always carry a more powerful light such as the Surefire E1L or A2 with me.

But the E1 does excel as a general-utility keychain light. It's bright enough for most tasks and has enough runtime to last you awhile.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only have the E1 - which I like a LOT. Very useful increase in brightness over typical single 5mm lights, about perfect regulation off alky AAAs, and still good run times. Gets near 6 hours flat off a lithium E2 AAA, too.

Bearcat

Enlightened
I have been thinking about buying an EO, because of its size, quality, price and runtime. In brightness how does it compare to a Dorcy AAA with the reflector lens?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Just from memory, but I'd say the E0 is half again brighter than the Dorcy AAA, without the rings and blotches, too. Both may be equally blue.

Geoff

fleegs

Enlightened
The design of the E1 fit better in my hand. I did not like the design (top part fitting over the bottom part). Other than that both worked great as a flashlight. In the dark, I did prefer the throw of the E1 (indoor only, outdoors neither worked for me).

Good luck,
rob

meeshu

Enlightened
Top Secret! So secret even I don't know where I am
I have both lights. But I have replaced the stock LED's with other LED's to eliminate, or at least reduce, the bluish tint inherent with the stock LED's.

I've generated runtimes using Energizer lithium batteries:

Fenix_E0__E1r.jpg

I get more than 10 hours regulated runtime on the modded E0. And 5 hours regulated runtime on the modded E1.

Both lights have good runtimes. But because the E1 outputs more light, the runtime is obviously less than the E0 runtime.

The E0 is, perhaps, better suited for short range/indoors work. But it is bright enough to light up a track or path in the dark, and it has around 10 ~ 15 feet throw.

The E1 is brighter than the E0, and is therefore better suited to outdoors work or when brighter light is required. The E0's throw is around 25 ~ 30 feet in the dark.

I don't have preference of one over the other, except when I think a long runtime may be required, then I'll choose the E0.

If there is any doubt about which light to buy, buy BOTH!! :lolsign:

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only have the E1 and like it a lot. I've been contemplating getting an E0 for a while, but just haven't (yet?). One feature I really like about the E1 that the E0 lacks is the ability for candle mode. On the E1, the head comes apart into 2 pieces and the Nichia Rigel LED can be exposed for a nice even flood of light in a room...a feature I like to use. I've been urging my friend to pick up an E0 for a while now tho, but he has a tendency to forget (he's not really a flashaholic, tho I've gotten him to get a few lights).

GeoScouter

Newly Enlightened
EsthetiX said:
I also have an L0P SE. Of all the small lights that's the pocket king. Love that gem.

I also was looking at the LOP SE. Not sure I will like the flicker in low settings some complain about. But I still may pick it up along with a E0 or E1

Steve

GeoScouter

Newly Enlightened
Flying Turtle said:
Just from memory, but I'd say the E0 is half again brighter than the Dorcy AAA, without the rings and blotches, too. Both may be equally blue.

Geoff

I also have the Dorcy AAA v1 modified. I put in a nichia led. If the E0 is brigher or equal to the modified Dorcy unit it may be worth while just for the smaller size.

Steve

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, a Dorcy AAA with a Nichia CS will outshine the E0. The same LED in the E0 is driven somewhere in the mid twenty ma range, while the Dorcy pushes it to 40-50 ma, I believe. I have found the stock Dorcy (reflector model) and the E0 pretty well matched in output, but the E0 is much smoother.

Otherwise, like others have said - I love both, but did put a less blue CS in my E0 (it is real easy to mod).

Hondo

EsthetiX

Enlightened
GeoScouter said:
I also was looking at the LOP SE. Not sure I will like the flicker in low settings some complain about. But I still may pick it up along with a E0 or E1

Steve

IMHO anyone who complains about flickering in LOW MODE is kind of rediculous. I think you might be mis-interpretting what people are saying. It doesn't actually flicker. It's like a super super super fast strobe and you only notice it while shaking the light vigerously and looking toward the bulb. If you were to shine it on a wall it just looks like a normal light. It doesn't bother me at all and I'm kind of picky about things too.

Last edited:

Any Cal.

Enlightened
I bought both, but then sold the E1. Though it was brighter, it seemed like I could not really see more due to the dark rings in the beam. I noticed it outside too. I really like the E0. It is plenty bright when it is dark. If I need more light, I just happen to have another one handy.:grin2: