Got an Inova X5 today and WOW!!!

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up an Inova X5 today at my local "Tar-jay" and it is really nice. I took it out in my backyard when I let my dog out and it really puts out a decent wall of light for a handful of 5mm LED's. Not like my L4, of course, which lights up my whole backyard, but way better than I thought it would. And at 6+ hours of runtime, not too shabby at all. Construction, fit and finish, all very good. I had been meaning to get one for some time for its long run time, but it is much more than just run time. Nicely focused wide spot with moderate spill. It looks very good and clean with its trademark SS bezel and black adondizing. Fairly good tint, too. Slightly bluish, but not unpleasant at all. I am very happy with it and would highly recommend one for anyone. And at 35.00, you can't beat the quality to price ratio. Plus, it earned a 5 star rating from Flashlightreviews.com, which was the final reason I ended up getting it.

Last edited:

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buffalohump said:
It's a great little light - the X5 was my first real LED light

Same here, X5 and an Arc AAA-LE were my first true LED lights, I thought were the best lights in the world when I got 'em!
smile.gif

CFU

CQB

Enlightened
yes the venerable X5T is a humble but reliable piece of kit.

My flashaholism started with the X5 as well. I bought it back in the day for $99 CAD(!!!) from a local House of Knives (have bought others later from Target at more reasonable prices, thank God!) and I thought it was the cat's arse!

One night-shift in security, we were chasing a theft suspect and were running through a residential area. I happened to have the X5 with me at the time and decided to pull it out, and I quickly saw I was a step away from a steep dip in the yard, that would have had me either doing a front-break fall, or at the very least, rolling my ankle. From then on, my research into flashlights for law enforcement applications began... and I (and my wallet) havent looked back ever since. ;)

Glad u like the X5. It will give you many many years of service. It's not the brightest but it's one of my go-to lights during black-outs and such. Great runtime and it doesnt get hot at all, at least from my experience.

Last edited:

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inova X5 is a classic. With the new Nichia Leds it is noticably brighter. Great runtime, and built to last. All in all very good value for your $.

Gaffle

Enlightened
I have an old X5, before they used the Nichia LEDs. It was also my first real LED flashlight. When my wife bought this light, the salesman told her that a blue colored light is more clear at night.:huh2: I really wish it was white!:ohgeez: Anyway, I still dig it. My daughter likes to swing it around and yell, "Blue, Blue!"

On a side note (I don't know if this is old news or not), we were watching the movie "The Island" the other day and I noticed that Ewen was in a dark area using an X5 to look around. Go inova GO!

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
The X5 is one of my favorites, I bought it rather later than my other Inovas, their switing to the newer brighter LEDS and all the good things said here swayed me, and I have not regreted it. I even have one of my first ones outfitted for winter use with bare hands by glueing leather to the body and a strip on the butt cap.

Uncle Bob

Enlightened
The X5 is one of my favorite EDC's and travels in my parka pocket along with a PT EOS. It's a great short to medium flood and compliments my other lights that have more throw and are spottier.

CYoung234

Newly Enlightened
I bought an X5 this morning at Target, and returned it this evening. I compared it to the Brinkmann 3AAA I bought the other day, and the Brinkmann was much brighter, even after leaving it on for 15 minutes. I figured for what I need the light for, I would rather be able to use readily available AAAs than have to get more 123's. Maybe it's just me, though. I am pretty new to LED lights.

Bill97z

Newly Enlightened
I don't know what people have against 123's. It's not hard to keep a stock on hand and I don't think they really cost much more than quality AA's.

You also can't beat their shelf life. Try keeping AA's around for a yr, never mind 10!

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can pick up 123s at various places like Amondo Tech and others for around a 1$ apiece, thatis pretty darn good. AAA flashlights that use a carrier can be problematic at times, the carriers do tend to break eventually.

Snow

Enlightened
Casual Flashlight User said:
Same here, X5 and an Arc AAA-LE were my first true LED lights, I thought were the best lights in the world when I got 'em!
smile.gif

CFU

My story is exactly the same. Well I guess you could count the Photon also. The fit and finish of the X5 still impresses me a few years down the road.

Danbo

Enlightened
My X5 got used a LOT this last week, during the ice storm induced power outage in the St. Louis area. I would twist it on, prop it up in the living room, and have useable light for many hours. Mine is an older version, but is plenty bright for what I use it for. If I want a real "Wall Of Light", I click on my Surefire L4. ;) :)

Gonna have to head on down to Tar-Jay tonight, and pick me up the newer version of the X5. :)

GreySave

Enlightened
I still EDC my X5 as well, along with one other light (varies by the needs of the day). I love the balance between the economy of a long runtime and that nice flood of light that can still reach out a reasonable distance. I'd carry the A2 instead, but I would be using the LEDs so much more than the incan that I expect battery life for the incan would be quite low by the time I would actually use it. Thus a second light makes more sense for me and serves as a backup as well.

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
A county comm HA X5T was my first "primo" light. I actually miss it. It was tough and would wring every last electron from my "spent" 123s.

The X5 has always been one of my favorites, even now in age of titanium and FAR better LEDs. The entire X series from Inova (Emissive Energy) has been a great line of lights, especially with respect to body design. The original X0 might be the toughest aluminum flashlight body ever made.

lightUup

Newly Enlightened
IMO, Inova is the best LED flashlight company out there, better than Surefire.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
GreySave said:
.... X5 ..... I love the balance between the economy of a long runtime and that nice flood of light that can still reach out a reasonable distance. ...

Agreed. The latest version Inova X5 with the brighter LEDs is superb. The flood pattern is great for indoor uses yet bright enough for outdoor walks unless you need extreme throw.

Built like a tank. I added a section of bicycle inner tube for better grip.

inova-x5-with-bike-tube.jpg

CYoung234

Newly Enlightened
Okay - you convinced me. I just went and bought another one. I figure it will be a nice light to have around in case of a power outage, and I like the design. I at first was not impressed by the light output, but you all have raised some good points about its quality, durability and longevity. I also picked up a Fenix L2T, and overall, the Inova appears to be built better. I like both lights though.