wanting to do a magmod

TB383

Newly Enlightened
Hey hows it going? I just wanted to ask yall a couple of questions on a mag mod. I am just getting into flashlights and would like to mod a maglite. I have been lurking around and searching and searching and reading more and more about different ways to go about it. Anyways, i just thought i would ask yall what yall think would be a good mod to do to a maglite for someone who has not done one yet, but has a decent understanding about it?? I dont have any problems soldering up stuff, and puting resistors in. But if you dont mind, just point me in the right direction. I am wanting to eventually do a mag mod to two different mags, one made for throw beam, and one made for light flood. Right now i want to start with the throw one.

I am wanting a light that will be really bright, and will have a good amount of battery life. Size does not matter but would pefer it to be smaller than a 4d mag. Let me know what you think i should do. I appreciate the help.

Thanks

Travis

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO, The biggest and simplest WOW factor will probably come from building a Mag85 using a 3D host. Just do a search on Mag85, there's lots of threads with the details.

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like the potted Mag85, the ROP is also a great first Mag mod because it requires no custom machining. Both use potted bulbs that install just like the stock bulb and rechargeable AAs (6 for ROP, 9 for Mag85). The difference is the ROP is built in a 2D and the Mag85 a 3D. Besides the bulb, all that is needed is a batteries + carrier, aluminum reflector, and glass lens.

Unfortunately runtime for either is just over a half-hour. Using six sub-c cells in a 4D ROP would allow about an hour, or six D cells in (what else) a 6D ROP nearly 3 hours.

Then there's LED and even HID (which throws farthest AND runs for two hours in a 2D) Mags as well, if you are willing to budget more.

TB383

Newly Enlightened
Norm said:
Fantastic instructional post if you want to build a LED mag that wil be far better than the standard ma LED dropin.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/144087
Norm

that was exactly the one i was looking into doing, just thought i would post up and see if anyone else agreed. How is the battery life on the one 3rd Shift did with the 4d mag link above?? Also, how much can i excpect out of someting like this? Are there any other flashlights that are comparable to it? Basically, i just wanted to mod the light for self interest, but would like it to perform really well at the same time for a good price....

As far as the other ones, i would like to get alittle more battery life out of them. One thing i do like about the ones yall mentioned is that they are alittle smaller.....

thanks

TB383

Newly Enlightened
well was driving by lowes today, and remembered the specials they are running are ending tommarrow at lowes, so i stoped in and picked up a mag 4d......going to try out the modding on this light and see how it goes...

Norm

Retired Administrator
TB383 said:
How does 3rd shifts mod to his 4d mag compare to the regular magled 4d??
http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_mag-led.htm .

It looks like the magled has a lot of runtime from reading the review...... does the mod have similar characteristics?

Thanks for the help again guys....

You could make the same mod slightly more efficent by using a 3 D mag leave out the resisitor and run a UXOK LED (or similar VF) direct off the batterys. Mag dropins suffer from overheating after a few minutes, building it this way the LED will stay cool and at full output for as long as the batteries will last. No special batteries required it will run OK on Alkalaines.
Norm

TB383

Newly Enlightened
well wont the 4d last longer? i dont have any problem using the resistor, which is really the only difference....i am not doing the led drop it, just was trying to compare it to 3rd shifts mod.....