P1D review up at flashlightreviews.com

EsthetiX

Enlightened
while flashlightreviews.com have lots of good informationand guidance, i think a lot of his reviews are too leniant. There's too many 5's.

PAB

Enlightened
I may not know where I am, but I'm not lost
270winchester said:
looks like he returned from his vacation early to do reviews. thanks Doug!!!

Yup, just back for the P1D and back on vacation. He got to have his say about one of the most talked about lights of this christmas. I think he's getting a little burnt out, though. A lot of his reviews just aren't the same as they used to be.

x2x3x2

Banned
I agree with EsthetiX, i might add that some are rather biased, as he seems to have certain fav brand or suppliers.

Inconsistant, some mention tint/beam profile/runtime while others dont. Each light review should have same available parameters tested instead of leaving out as and when... Also the beamshots have bad color balance.

Its a good site with a treasure of reviews, but what could make it better and proffesional would be a consisntant review system.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
aren't reviewers humans?

If a reviewer likes / +vely biases reviews, it probably means that the products are in deed good, especially when the manufacturer has number of good products.

It is his/her previous experience that makes him/her biased, as previous products were good.

Still, i find Quickbeams reviews relatively much more neutral and relatively unbiased.

Do you remember, if a previous reviewed product rated as 5 stars that does not perform good in new revision/version, people immediately start, the reviewed product/sample was flawed... !!!

Now, if the product is indeed relatively good, people are complaining reviews biased... :funny: in deed!

Last edited:

LowTEC

Enlightened
Opinion is always bias, and I think doug is doing a great job for not seriously bias :grin2:. The site is the best solution to compare spec between lights, with hard data to show. People keep saying the D Mini throw is owning P1-CE so now I'm just waiting and see his review for the Dmini to confirm :naughty:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
LowTEC, I have the P1D-CE and the D-Mini, and there's no question that the D-Mini outthrows the P1D-CE. There's just no comparison.

Of course, the D-Mini is a lot bigger and doesn't have multiple output levels, so my official recommendation is (of course) to buy both! :grin2:

Quickbeam was lucky to get lights with unremarkable thread slop. Mine demonstrates this flaw to a surprising level, but I'm getting used to it. Hopefully, I'll become accustomed to the UI and 231SS output configuration, as well.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
TigerhawkT3 said:
LowTEC,Quickbeam was lucky to get lights with unremarkable thread slop. Mine demonstrates this flaw to a surprising level, but I'm getting used to it.

Thread Slop was my biggest complaint also. A few other little things but that was a deal breaker for me...

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
can teflon tape be used to cure the thread slop?

EDIT: Doug's reviews are a hugely helpful comparative resource. The output/throw #'s , runtime plots and standardized beam shots are the bomb.

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a P1D CE. I think it is as great as it says in Doug's review.

I look forward to Doug's reviews. In my opinion, his are the best around. Opinion is and should be a part of reviews. I respect his opinions. The objective measurements he gives (lux, runtime, etc) make it much more likely I'll pick a light I will like. His reviews make it easier for a smaller company to compete based on quality, rather than just marketing.

LowTEC

Enlightened
TigerhawkT3 said:
LowTEC, I have the P1D-CE and the D-Mini, and there's no question that the D-Mini outthrows the P1D-CE. There's just no comparison.

Of course, the D-Mini is a lot bigger and doesn't have multiple output levels, so my official recommendation is (of course) to buy both! :grin2:

Quickbeam was lucky to get lights with unremarkable thread slop. Mine demonstrates this flaw to a surprising level, but I'm getting used to it. Hopefully, I'll become accustomed to the UI and 231SS output configuration, as well.

Off topic: thanx for your confirmation and I did follow the CPF policy - ordered both of them :grin2:. My P1D-CE was shipped on the 9th (so it says) but it is still no where in sight after 17 days. I couldn't wait and ordered the D Mini as well after reading all the great reviews. I probably return the P1D-CE when my D-Mini arrives, since P1D-CE has problems here and there while the D mini is exactly what I want except the bigger size. I love the simplicity of clickie, no bullshit modes, silver finish, and with maximum throw. I found it funny caz I ordered a light from HK and it only took 8 days to arrive while from the states it takes 17 to eternity :laughing:

whippoorwill

Enlightened
x2x3x2 said:
I agree with EsthetiX, i might add that some are rather biased, as he seems to have certain fav brand or suppliers.

Inconsistant, some mention tint/beam profile/runtime while others dont. Each light review should have same available parameters tested instead of leaving out as and when... Also the beamshots have bad color balance.

Its a good site with a treasure of reviews, but what could make it better and proffesional would be a consisntant review system.

I am sure it is because he has made millions off his little venture. C'mon guys, the guy is doing it for damn near nothing! I appreciate what the man is doing. He hasn't steered me wrong yet.

I don't think that some of you are in any position to talk about professional or consistent. I would recommend that if any one can do it better that they start their own website to show everyone how it should be done. It is much easier to be a critic than it is to be an author.

Last edited:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I enjoy his reviews alot, but I think the reason he doesn't mention the beam in some reviews and he does in others is that he sometimes trys to get them done a little faster than usual.
Although if the P1DCE didn't get 5 stars than neither should any LED light on his site. It had over 2 hours and 45 minutes of runtime at around 60 lumens. That is truely unbeatable and no other light can compare to it. To me that makes it at 5 star light without question.

Delta447

Newly Enlightened
Amen to that statement.

whippoorwill said:
I am sure it is because he has made millions off his little venture. C'mon guys, the guy is doing it for damn near nothing! I appreciate what the man is doing. He hasn't steered me wrong yet.

I don't think that some of you are in any position to talk about professional or consistent. I would recommend that if any one can do it better that they start their own website to show everyone how it should be done. It is much easier to be a critic than it is be an author.

luigi

Enlightened
I love the reviews and I love the critics because they help me understand the reviews better. Shutting down criticism as if the words of somebody were god's words is never constructive.
I have the right to say I like the reviews and others have the right to say what they don't like.

Luigi

whippoorwill

Enlightened
luigi said:
I love the reviews and I love the critics because they help me understand the reviews better. Shutting down criticism as if the words of somebody were god's words is never constructive.
I have the right to say I like the reviews and others have the right to say what they don't like.

Luigi

You missed the point. The issue is not about criticism of the light. It is about the unwarranted criticism of a person who is trying to perform a service for all of us. Teddy Roosevelt said it best:

In the battle of life, it is not the critic who counts; nor the one who points how the strong person stumbled, or where the doer of a deed could have done better.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all! :wave:

Biased? Damn right! Show me a reviewer who isn't biased and I'll show you a corpse. Some brands and lights I like more than others - that's what reviewing and giving opinions is all about.

Burned out? Damn right! This is why some of the reviews aren't what they used to be and have a few inconsistencies. 142 reviews this year and more last year. 500+ total on the site.

Full time job, family, and frankly a waning interest have taken their toll. As a result, I have decided that FlashlightReviews.com and I are going into semi-retirement. I wasn't going to tell everyone this, but may as well let the cat out of the bag.

More info can be found in the Reviews forum.

Doug P.

LG&M

Enlightened
Doug Thank you for all you do. You are right your reviews are just that YOURS! If I thought I could do better I would but I know better. Now get back to your vacation.