Garrity Luxeon 4AA spotlight anygood??

Illum

Flashaholic
define "good" ?

its Direct drive, I tried to disassemble mine...didnt find a resistor..assumably its near the swtch mechanism.
  1. the interior of the light is pretty open, enough to add a bigger heatsink or a driver in with no problems, the stock Luxeon [RX1H] is mounted on a heatsink about the diameter of a silver doller but as thin as a piece of paper with screws.
  2. the beam was, well.. spot. while wall hunting theres a spill ring, but in actual night tests the spill was insignificantly small.
  3. the grip sections very comfortable. the switch is click on click off, very easily activated with a very small "click" sound.
  4. the plastic bodys pretty durable, a few drops with no problems. the Tailcap has a oval shaped battery retaining ring in the middle to prevent the batteries from popping out during jarring or drops.
  5. No seals, water resistance marginal.
  6. Luxeon led is a low dome [batwing], smooth semi-parabolic reflector, so beams edgy
  7. included lanyard quite durable, but the location of it makes it somewhat useless.

Last edited:

Robstorch

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info, I may wait till I see it on sale and pick it up.
I dont know of anyone else making anything like it.
Rob

Illum

Flashaholic
some pics

the side view

batteries not included, im just too lazy to take them out...note the oval retaining ring and that no o-rings are present

bottom view, note the bezel retaining screw

inside the head, note the flemsy piece of metal thats screwed to the plastic reflector

side view of the lamp assembly for emphasis of thickness and relative comparison

Inside the head, note the empty space and no water resistance protection

walkabout

Newly Enlightened
I have one of these. Illum is right, it's not a heavy-duty unit. But it's not total junk either (there's lots of that on the store shelves). I think it passes muster for general purpose use. And as you mentioned, it's somewhat unique, and it's cheap enough that you can afford to break it, lose it, have it stolen, or harvest it for parts later.

The output is decent, and it has a well-focused spot at 75 yards. The switch can pressed partway for momentary light or clicked all the way to stay on.

I like it because it runs well on 4AA NiMHs. (My quick charger takes 2 or 4, which annoys me because my LED headlamps take 3.) I may also use it to digest some of the half-used alkalines that are kicking around.