watch question second hand

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am just curious are there any watches that the second hand moves continously, instead of a click with each second?

Arcoholic

Enlightened
a mechanical watch second hands jumps just like quartz movement hand they just do it 6,8 or ten times per second depending of the amplitude employed in the movement rather then once a second thus giving the illusion of a cont. sweep.

SimplyJ

Newly Enlightened
Seiko recently developed a new movement called the Spring Drive. It doesn't use any escapement and the second hand moves in a true sweep motion. In fact the second hand doesn't tick at all...it glides.

http://www.seikospringdrive.com/

The Spring Drive is a very hot item in the horological scene right now.
Good Luck in finding and affording one!

Arcoholic

Enlightened
SimplyJ said:
Seiko recently developed a new movement called the Spring Drive. It doesn't use any escapement and the second hand moves in a true sweep motion. In fact the second hand doesn't tick at all...it glides.

http://www.seikospringdrive.com/

The Spring Drive is a very hot item in the horological scene right now.
Good Luck in finding and affording one!

did not see that one yet i guess i was not totally right with my post then

TheMechanic

Newly Enlightened
Any Bulova Accutron using the (out of production) "tuning fork" movement moves the second hand in a continuous sweep. We're talking 1960's technology here...

-=[ Grant ]=-

mtbkndad

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Wife's best friend has a Rolex Oyster Perpetual Date Just that has a sweeping second hand.
She said the sweeping second hands are one of the characteristics of Rolex Watches, or at least the Oyster Perpetual Rolexes.

Take Care,
mtbkndad :wave:

felder

Newly Enlightened
As far as I know the springdrive is the only watch where the second hand moves in a continuous motion. Even rolexes tick. They tick several times a second. The springdrive hand moves in a completely smooth continuous motion.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
2000xlt said:
I am just curious are there any watches that the second hand moves continously, instead of a click with each second?

Rolex.... the real ones, anyway.

BF Hammer

Enlightened
Vintage Bulova Accutrons from the 1960's and 1970's have continuous sweep second hands because the tuning fork movement is vibrating at such a fast rate that nobody's eye can see the steps.

Seiko's Spring Drive movement, as previously stated, also sweeps the second hand smoothly. They are pretty new and rare yet. Expensive too.

Mechanical movements do "tick" multiple times per second. The low-beat movements tick more visibly than the high-beat movements, but anybody can still see the ticks when looking closely (including Rolex). It's just a matter of how noticeable it is.