what quad Cree setup?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
imagine Leds, reflectors and optic present.
4-emitter light for biking. Size of head a bit of concern but not too much.
What Reflectors/Optic to take?

I have tested McR-XR 16, 17, 19 and 27 and am not really able to see any difference, maybe except for the 27 giving both wider spill and more focusing.
Optic is, ... hmmm ..., an optic ;)

dunno what to do. Several optics and 16 mm here, then one each of 19, 27 and normal 19 mm reflector.

Meduza

Enlightened
My choice would be two Cree optics and then two reflectors of the type you like, i would guess about 19mm but i do not know due to that i dont have the reflectors.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you post beamshots of those different reflectors and optics Im looking for some good reflectors mainly or optics that will fit my Tri Cree project, Im thinking an McR 16XR is the only thing that will fit, so hows the throw? Sorry if I am stealing your thread, Honestly either optics for throw and reflectors for flood or just different optics is a good way to go.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just did this yesterday, please advise me if it is not allowed to link such large pics
by now I am about to use one Cree 8 degree, one 17 and 19 and the 27 mm, but ...

"original" multipage is 2280*7662 * 1,75 MB, no way I am posting this one here. ;)
  • my cheap cam set to "automatic", max time 1/4th sec, so please:
  • this is just a comparison of how the beams widen with more distance, not any reference-brightness-shot (but: dark photo at right --> poor output, that is for sure)
  • those black stripes are from the rubber band I used to temporarily fix the optics/reflectors
  • somehow I dont really see a diff of the Cree reflectors, just the 27 mm (not shown here) has more spill and more focus. The 16, 17, 19 (and normal 19) are pretty even. The 16 and 17 are much more easy to fix to the led as they feature a "seat". Put on and they are perfectly centered.
  • Optics make more of a "light tunnel" with less spill, I dont like them. Also I think that they waste light which evades to the sides.
  • any suggestions/improvenemts to the pics greatly appreciated.
alxdlogkrfu5hgfas.jpg

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh my yellow! That was some amazing work you did there... I'm interested in your statment that you didn't notice much differnce between the 'smaller' cree reflectors... I had no idea that you could see the LED leads so much..... :(

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dawg! Sorry I forgot to mention:

those black stripes are from the rubber band that temporarily holds the optics/reflectors in place, this is not visible in a permanent setup (where these are glued in or fixed somehow else.
(also forgot the 5th setup pic: a closeup of the driver, led on sink, optic installed and rubber bands holding everything together. This would explain ...)

Last edited:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent work yellow:goodjob:

It's not easy to judge the beamshape by pictures but for my taste I would like the McR-XR19's. For an optic, the Fraen LP looks good.

Best regards

____
Tom

Tiny

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for posting those up! I've always been wondering what kind of different throw/flood different type of reflectors would give.

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
A two light setup would be perfect. 2 x Cree 8 degree and another with 2 x IMS 20mm. Spot and flood. The ability to switch between the two would be an asset.