Household LED lights with UL listing.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
With few exceptions battery powered flashlights do not start fires so you can mod to your hearts content and nobody bothers you.
Household circuits have enough juice to start an electrical fire, so any equipment connected to them has to be approved by the powers that be (different for different jurisdictions).

In Canada it is the law that all mains connected equipment has CSA approval or the equivalent.
In the USA AFAIK it is not a legal requirement but Insurers can get very grumpy (and downright non-cooperative) if you connect non-listed gear to household circuitry. Especially if it causes a fire.

Some more info on What is UL listing?
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/electrical.../section-7.html

I was browsing the net and found a number of retail sites that show some (but not all) lamps with UL listing claimed.

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Housrhold LED lights with UL listing.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/edison.html

Model PAR20-x36
36-LED Medium Base PAR 20 bulb- 120 VAC
Consumes just 4 Watts of power
10,000 Life Time
Available in Cool White (5360K) - 52 lumen or Warm White (3250K) - 43 lumen Blue Green Red Amber and RGB (color changing) LED
25 degree beam pattern
Housing Material: Glass
UL listed

Model E27-WLX3
3 Watt Luxeon (3 x 1 Watt) LED Medium Base Spot Light - 120 VAC50,000 Life Time
Warm White (3400K) - 49 lumen
Available with 10 or 30 degree beam pattern
Housing Material: Aluminum and ABS Plastic
UL listed

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

http://www.smarthome.com/_/LED/Lighting/Light_Bulbs/_/ef/RL/v3/nav.aspx

120v 36-LED 2.5in Par20 Floodlight Bulb
Specifications
C Crane Product No.: VFL
Dimensions: 2.5" diameter
LEDs: 36
Volts: 120
Watts: 3
Lumens: 60
Approvals: UL listed
Warranty: 2 years, limited

120v 60-LED 3.75in Par30 Floodlight Bulb
Item# 97314P
Specifications
C Crane Product No.: V30
Dimensions: 3.875" diameter x 3 1/2" H
LEDs: 60
Watts: 6
Lumens: 150

120v 36-LED 2.5in Par20 Spotlight Bulb
Item# 97314L
Specifications
C Crane Product No.: VSL
Dimensions: 2.5" diameter
LEDs: 36
Watts: 3
Lumens: 80

120v 72-LED 4.75in Par38 Spotlight Bulb
Item# 97314T
C. Crane Company Product No.: V
UPC: 696714222052
Dimensions: 5" H x 4.75" diameter
LEDs: 72
Power: 120 volts/8 watts
Bulb Life: 60,000 hours
Light Output: 200 Lumens
Operating Temperature: 14° F to 122° F

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

http://www.theledlight.com/120-VAC-LEDbulbs.html

LYPAR-30 CW, a new 60 Cree LED cool white PAR bulb. Estimated watts of light is approximately 60 watts/200 lumen. Consumes 8 watts. Diameter is 3.75" with overall height of 3.7". Estimated life of 30,000 hours, or 10 years at 8 hours a day use. 7000k Color temperature. Clear lens, and UL, CE ceritfied. Operates from 80-260vac

LYPCB06C CW with 36 Cool White Cree Chip LEDs. Medium house hold base; approx. 3 1/4" tall x 2 3/8" diameter. Clear lens. Great utility LED bulb for those hard to access areas, as porch lights, in sheds and utility buildings. Super outdoor-sign bulb replacement! Estimated life of 50,000 plus hours for Cool White. 3.0 watt consumption - 108 lumen, 35 watt light output at 6500 Kelvin Temp. PCB06 LED Bulbs are UL listed.

LYPCB-IN CW with 57 Cool White LEDs. Medium household base. Great LED bulb for those areas with exposed bulbs (no globe to cover it). The IN Bulb will also look very nice when replacing those bathroom light bulbs. With its very wide view angle LEDs, it can be used almost anywhere as ambient room light, even if it is hidden behind a globe, lamp shade or other covering.
approx. 4" diamteter globe x 2.5" high. Estimated life of 30,000 plus hours for Cool White. Cree chip LED with 120 degree view angle 5.0 watt consumption 130 lumen, 40 watt light output at 5500 Kelvin Temp.
UL, CE listed

EDIT - the following has been removed from the listing. I have not deleted the items to maintain continuaty in this thread.

LYPAR-20 CW with 36 Cool White LEDs made with CREE ® chip! The whiteness is now more consistent, the light is brighter and lifetime is slightly increased. Medium base; approx. 3 1/4" tall x 2 1/2" diameter; cool white at 108 lumen/35 watt light output, 3 watt consumption. Estimated life of 30,000 plus hours and are UL listed. Comes with clear lens.
PAR20 CW is out of stock. Not expected in the near future.
LYPAR-20 Warm White, RGB, red, and green - 36 LEDs 3.0 watt consumption @120vac - 40-60 lumen light output - comparable to a 30W incandescent. Diffused lens

LYPAR-38 CW with 108 Cree Cool White LEDs with Clear lens. Rated at 310 lumen/100 watt light output - 13 watt consumption. Measures 5.0" diameter x 3.6" overall height. Estimated life of 30,000 hours. 30 degree view angle, 7000 Kelvin Temp. All PAR-38 LED Bulbs are UL and CE listed.
Sorry, cool white is not in stock. Not expected in the immediate future.

Looks like thry are waiting for the next generation of 5mm LEDs

Last edited:

LEDninja said:
LYPAR-38 CW with 108 Cree Cool White LEDs with Clear lens. Rated at 310 lumen/100 watt light output - 13 watt consumption. Measures 5.0" diameter x 3.6" overall height. Estimated life of 30,000 hours. 30 degree view angle, 7000 Kelvin Temp. All PAR-38 LED Bulbs are UL and CE listed.
Sorry, cool white is not in stock. Not expected in the immediate future.

Looks like thry are waiting for the next generation of 5mm LEDs

They're smoking crack. A 100W incandescent is around 1700 lumens, making over five times the output of that scam bulb.

310lm/13w =23.9lm/w, or about 1/2 to 1/3 the efficiency of the typical CFL or about the same as an automotive headlight lamp.

Assuming 310lm is out of the package and immediately after starting, if each LED isn't thoroughly heatsinked, the output will diminish with increase in junction temperature and operation at high temperature will quickly degrade the LEDs permanently bringinig down the efficiency to that of 100W light bulb or less especially if LEDs are driven unevenly causing some to be driven beyond the max specs.

Even out of box, it's only 41% more efficient.

You should also consider that even though the claimed life is 50,000 hrs and such, the warranty is only 3mo.

For comparison, Sylvania Octron lamps are rated for 20,000 or 24,000 and they're backed by 36mo/12,000hr parts only warranty and their ballasts are backed by 5 year warranty inclusive of service call cost. I think GE and Philips have similar warranties on their fluorescent setup, but I just used Sylvania as an example.

Last edited:

soffiler

Enlightened

+1 on most of Handlobraesing's comments.

My question for LEDninja is: WHY? What is attractive to you about LED-based household lighting, versus traditional incan, traditional fluorescent, modern halogen incan, or modern compact fluorescent?

While Cree and others have finally trumped the efficacy of fluorescent, there are still issues to be considered with color rendering, heat-sinking/lumen maintenance, chromaticity, and COST. I'm sure there are some specific situations where LED might make sense... just wondering what they are. Care to share?

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast

soffiler said:
+1 on most of Handlobraesing's comments.

My question for LEDninja is: WHY? What is attractive to you about LED-based household lighting, versus traditional incan, traditional fluorescent, modern halogen incan, or modern compact fluorescent?

While Cree and others have finally trumped the efficacy of fluorescent, there are still issues to be considered with color rendering, heat-sinking/lumen maintenance, chromaticity, and COST. I'm sure there are some specific situations where LED might make sense... just wondering what they are. Care to share?
The one application where I would consider LEDs to offer an advantage and that is for spotlight applications such as tracklighting, as replacements for small halogen lamps. A Cree with a tight focusing optic, good heatsink fins, and fully dimmable current would be nice. I'd also like to see such a device have thermal current limiting as well, to prevent overheating. Although, for this really to be convincing I think we'll need to wait another generation of LEDs, until we have more efficiency, higher power from a single die, and more options for color temperature.

For overall area lighting though, it will be hard to beat a couple of the fluorescent fixtures we just bought last weekend -- high efficiency reflector, two T8 5000K 86CRI GE tubes. Nearly 5000 lumens out of fixture from 64 watts, all for $35. (the price of 5 bare cree stars)

Last edited:

soffiler

Enlightened

2xTrinity said:
The one application where I would consider LEDs to offer an advantage and that is for spotlight applications such as tracklighting, as replacements for small halogen lamps. A Cree with a tight focusing optic, good heatsink fins, and fully dimmable current would be nice. I'd also like to see such a device have thermal current limiting as well, to prevent overheating. Although, for this really to be convincing I think we'll need to wait another generation of LEDs, until we have more efficiency, higher power from a single die, and more options for color temperature.

For overall area lighting though, it will be hard to beat a couple of the fluorescent fixtures we just bought last weekend -- high efficiency reflector, two T8 5000K 86CRI GE tubes. Nearly 5000 lumens out of fixture from 64 watts, all for $35. (the price of 5 bare cree stars)

Hi 2xTrinity:

I don't completely disagree with you regarding the halogen track-light replacement, but one thing that should be pointed out is the chromaticity issue. It boils down to the human eye: it is very, very sensitive to slight differences in tint. It's less of an issue with a single LED source, but it explodes when you put two supposedly identical LED's side-by-side. Even the tiniest difference in tint is noticable. That's exactly the trouble with track-lighting; there will be several LED sources side-by-side. Just my own personal and very humble opinion but I think it's going to be a pretty long time before control over binning and phosphors reaches the point where the tint differences are no longer noticable.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

As a kid I spent a lot of saterday afternoons in the American consulate library reading Popular science (free air conditioning). Got curious about new techie things. I started to switch to compact flouresents around 1999 ($23 a pop, hang on to my wallet) I was impressed with the runtime and lack of artifacts in the 1st Radio Shack branded Turtlelight (Dorcy Cool Blue). One hot summetr day 3 or 4 years ago I got tired of the hot bulbs near me and bought my 1st LED household bulb. Did NOT like the fact it does not have any safety rating. Noticed the LED bulb retailers are starting to show safety ratings so I started this thread.
BTW I only have 2 LED bulbs installed - one clamped to my headboard so I can read in bed, the other my computer keyboard light. I am trading off brightness for coolness (lack of heat - can't find a 3W compact flouresent bulb) The bulk of my other bulbs are compact flouresents.
soffiler said:

He he he. Don't know what they are smoking but
A '7W' Ikea compact flouresent is rated at 280 lumens.
A '9W' spiral compact flouresent is rated at 500 lumens.

I had a 48 LED par 30 bulb for a year before one of the LED strings died. 2-4 hours a night. My guess 1000 hours. Still better than some of the more crappy '100,000 hour multi LED eBay lights' that die within a couple of weeks.
Handlobraesing said:
They're smoking crack. A 100W incandescent is around 1700 lumens, making over five times the output of that scam bulb.

You should also consider that even though the claimed life is 50,000 hrs and such, the warranty is only 3mo.

If you follow Andytiedye's link you will find an awful lot of other members interested in LED household bulbs. Unfortunately some are not aware of the safety issues of powering up from the mains.

Things I have noticed.

Do NOT buy bulbs with colour temperatures higher than 6500 degrees. The purplish tint hurt my eyes after a while.

Buy spotlights only if you need to highlight something. The narrow beam is too narrow to be useful in general applications.
Current LED bulbs are rather dim. A wide angle bulb (120-180 degree) makes it even more dim.
I find a beam angle of about 30 degrees just right.

Warm white is much dimmer than cool white.
5mm warm white seem to have a greenish tint to them. Luxeon warm whites are better.

For me (poor eyesight) 50 lumens is marginal. I am staying away from the 20-30 lumen bulbs. I am waiting for the vapourware Handlobraesing is trashing - the 36LED/100lumen one. I do not see a need for the 108LED/300 lumen one. It is too big and heavy, produce less lumens than a '9 watt' spiral compact flouresent with about the same amount of heat. I bought my last pack of 4x9W for approx $15.

Last edited:

Scott Packard

Newly Enlightened

I seem to remember buying a 3W micro-fluorescent night light at WalMart recently. Maybe it was at Ace Hardware.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

LED lighting fixtures with UL listing

http://www.smarthome.com/46170.html
48 LED Desk Lamp - Chrome
Item# 46170
Specifications
Sylvania Product No.: 72111
UPC: 046135721113
Dimensions: Lamp head: 19" x 15/16" diameter; arm: 10" x 1"; base: 5 7/8" diameter x 1"
LEDs: 48 white LEDs
Power Input: 120V AC, 60Hz
Power Output: 12V DC, 500mA
Power Consumption: Under 5 watts

http://www.smarthome.com/46171.html
30 LED Clamp Lamp - Chrome
Item# 46171
Specifications
Sylvania Product No.: 72112
UPC: 046135721120
Dimensions: Clamp: 4 9/16" x 2 7/8" x 2 1/4"; arm: 24"; lamp head: 2 3/4" L x 1 15/16" diameter
LEDs: 30 white LEDs

http://www.smarthome.com/46168.html
40 LED Floor Lamp - Chrome
Item# 46168
Specifications
Sylvania Product No.: 72109
UPC: 046135721090
Dimensions: Base: 7.3" diameter; maximum height: 66"; lamp head: 8 1/4" x 2 1/2" x 2 1/8"
LEDs: 40 white LEDs

http://www.goodmart.com/products/833118.htm
Sylvania Brilliance Series Satin Nickel LED Table Lamp Including 30 white LEDs and 120V UL Listed Wall Adapter

The Sylvania Brilliance Series above seem to be widely available. Try your local specialty lighting/hardware store.

http://www.goodmart.com/products/574005.htm
TCP Galaxe Adjustable Low Heat 5 Watt 12 Volt Desk Lamp Using White Light Emitting Diode Technology (LED) with Power Adapter Included for 120 Volt Operation and Removable Light Diffuser Cover Silver
Color Silver, White Light
Family Brand Name Galaxe
Height 21 Inches
Industry Standards UL Listed
Length 7.5 Inches
Voltage: 12 (Power Adapter Included for 120 Volt Operation)
Warranty 3 Years
Watts: 5
Weight_lbs 4.5
Width 11 Inches

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank you for your inquiry. We consulted with UL and found that since the lamp runs on such low power (you could touch the electrical contacts inside and not get shocked), it does not require the same tests for electrical safety. The power adapter that plugs into the wall requires UL listing, and does have the UL for the US and Canada.

Koncept Technologies Inc.
1111 Corporate Center Dr. #304A
Monterey Park, CA 91754
(323) 261-8999
(323) 261-8998 (fax)

http://konceptech.com/zbar.html
http://konceptech.com/icelight.html
http://konceptech.com/miniz.html
http://konceptech.com/ibar.html
http://konceptech.com/itower.html

These lamps are widely available. Amazon, Sharper Image, Smart Home etc.

LEDninja said:

LEDs have almost no fixed power requirement, have almost no burden before giving off light, and they can be run on low voltage, so they have undeniable benefit in battery powered applications.

Incandescent lamp has the burden of requiring a minimum power to bring the filament up to temperature, or else it would not light up, while LEDs can be driven to 0.1% the spec power and would still give off some light, so the benefit is unsurpassed in things like indicator lamps, watch backlight and such.

The benefit of LED is in ability to have raw lumen/watt comparable to that of an incadescent or maybe twice that at extremely low power, but when you stack them together and push each LED to its limit, you don't gain anything, in fact you lose efficiency from higher current density and heat from operating many of them together, so general lighting is still not their forte. They use AC adpaters because it eliminates the need to obtain UL and such for each device by buying generic UL approved adapters from a supplier.

-
AC adapters consume fractional watts just by being plugged in whether the appliance is in use or not. This is why they get warm, let's say this is 0.25W, or 6Wh per day or equivalent to using 60W bulb for 6 minutes. Realistically, one AC adapter doesn't really count as far as cost. You can measure its power using a power meter with 0.01W resolution and mathematically manipulate values. Even though the utility company meter isn't sensitive enough to register a single 0.25W load, all the phantom loads around the house could add up enough to register. This is called "phantom power". AC adapter is something like 50-60% efficient, at full load, with smaller ones being worse off.

There are 3 to 5W CFLs having socket-to-output efficacies in the range of 40-60 lumens/watt. You have no reason to use anything else when you're going to be using grid power and these don't use phantom power.

http://www.lightsofamerica.com/decoratives.htm#
http://www.maxlite.com/Images/Focus%20Icons/SpiraMax.gif

The AC adapter powered LED fixture loses with overwhelming margin when you consider AC adapter efficiency, LED driver loss (usually resistors) and phantom power.

CFLs: lumen/W is that of the lamp itself.

LED fixture with a wallwart making 100 lumen at 8W line input while on and 0.25W while off, average lm/W in a year is:

0.25W x 24hr x 365 = 2.19kWh (fixed energy usage)
7.75W x 3 hr x 365 = 8.49kWh (variable energy usage)
(in use: 0.25W idle power + 7.75W = 8W)

yield: 100 lumens for 1095 hrs

109500 lumen-hour/10680Wh
hours cancel out
and you get around 10.25lm/watt average over one year of use at 3 hrs per day, which is worse than a 100W light bulb.

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

Handlobraesing said:
CFLs: lumen/W is that of the lamp itself.
Not true. You forgot the power used up by the ballast.
In the olden days when the tube is seperate from the ballast, a 7 watt tube requires a 5 watt ballast requiring 12 watts total power.
When the all in one CFLs came out the ones with a 7 watt tube are simply listed 7W. To avoid getting sued by angry consumers with a power meter they list the total wattage but in a roundabout way: 120V/110mA.
120V*0.11A=13.2W
Naughty aren't they?

The European companies tend to list total power as opposed to tube power. Which is why a 11W Osram or Ikea or Sunbeam is much dimmer than the spiral 9W.

LEDninja said:
Not true. You forgot the power used up by the ballast.
In the olden days when the tube is seperate from the ballast, a 7 watt tube requires a 5 watt ballast requiring 12 watts total power.
When the all in one CFLs came out the ones with a 7 watt tube are simply listed 7W. To avoid getting sued by angry consumers with a power meter they list the total wattage but in a roundabout way: 120V/110mA.
120V*0.11A=13.2W
Naughty aren't they?

The European companies tend to list total power as opposed to tube power. Which is why a 11W Osram or Ikea or Sunbeam is much dimmer than the spiral 9W.

A CFL with integrated ballast includes the ballast power loss in its rating. Have you ever measured a power consumption of CFL using a true power meter, that takes into account for power factor and non-sinusoidal current?

V*A=VA. VA = W iff, PF = 1.0, usually not the case with most AC powered stuff. PF = W/VA. Computers, CFLs and electronics typically have anything from 0.4 to 0.7.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

Handlobraesing said:
A CFL with integrated ballast includes the ballast power loss in its rating. Have you ever measured a power consumption of CFL using a true power meter, that takes into account for power factor and non-sinusoidal current?

V*A=VA. VA = W iff, PF = 1.0, usually not the case with most AC powered stuff. PF = W/VA. Computers, CFLs and electronics typically have anything from 0.4 to 0.7.

You did not read the last line of my post.
LEDninja said:
I have a 7W & 11W Ikea bulb and a 7W bulb from a company based in North America. The North American 7W bulb is clearly brighter than the Ikea 7W and about the same as the Ikea 11W. To me some companies call a certain output bulb 7W (tube power) and others 11W (total power) Buyer beware! Check Lumens and the VA 120V/60nz/xxxmA (small print)and don't rely on the yyW CFL=zzzW incan nombers (big print on top of the package).
Took a CFL apart once (the tube has seperated from the base). There was a power factor correction capacitor across the coil so the inductance was not as bad as if there was just a coil by itself.

EDIT
Anyway all this discussion is a moot point. We'll all go back to ye olde incandescent bulb.

GE developing energy-efficient incandescent light bulb
http://www.lightboard.net/index.cfm?page=main&frm=article&id=1236&cfid=4266591&cftoken=29010875
"Ultimately the high efficiency lamp (HEI) technology is expected to be about four times as efficient as current incandescent bulbs and comparable to CFL bulbs. Adoption of new technology could lead to greenhouse gas emission reductions of up to 40 million tons of CO2 in the U.S. and up to 50 million tons in the EU if the entire installed base of traditional incandescent bulbs was replaced with HEI lamps."

Last edited:

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Our local library has 2 incandescent PAR 30 bulbs installed high in ceiling that run 24 x 7. They burn out in less than 6 months.

Anybody got experience with the C Crane LED PAR 30 replacement bulb (or other brand LED PAR 30 bulb)?

I'd like to save the energy and the time spent changing the bulbs.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
ikendu said:
Our local library has 2 incandescent PAR 30 bulbs installed high in ceiling that run 24 x 7. They burn out in less than 6 months.

Anybody got experience with the C Crane LED PAR 30 replacement bulb (or other brand LED PAR 30 bulb)?

I'd like to save the energy and the time spent changing the bulbs.
I had a Superbrightleds 48 LED bulb. Half the LEDs went in a year 3 hours average daily use - about 1000 hours total. Another member posted he bought some LED bulbs from DX and his burned out in 2 weeks. YMMV. Anyways I do not think the 50-60 lumen output is bright enough to replace the incans which should be 20x or more brighter.
CFLs won't work either as they cannot handle the heat buildup in enclosed ceiling fixtures. On the news a few weeks back. A couple has replaced all their lights with CFLs. Then they smelt burning. Turned out it was the CFLs in the ceiling fixtures. The ends of the tube where it goes into the base was burnt brown.
Lights that go in a ceiling has to be specially rated for that duty. The average UL listed lightbulb is rated for use in lamps in the open air, not for enclosed spaces in ceiling fixtures or fully enclosed floodlights.

Last edited: