Carclo supernarrow 2 degree optic

Ganp

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF gresgate.:)

IMH the Carclo 2 degree optic is best with a Luxeon lll for throw and even better if it is modified a bit.
It does not focus Cree XR-E's or Seoul P4's well. It can be modified to focus them better, but wastes the extra lumens in untidy side spill.

Some of my efforts with it are here and here.

Colin.

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't really recommend them. I had a testing sample and it was really hard to get it focussed well. I also received a prototype of a new 1.5 degree lens which worked absolutely flawless. It's strange to see this lens hasn't made production yet since I got it last summer. Maybe you can ask Carclo when they are available for retail.

Ganp

Enlightened
Erasmus said:
I wouldn't really recommend them. I had a testing sample and it was really hard to get it focussed well. I also received a prototype of a new 1.5 degree lens which worked absolutely flawless. It's strange to see this lens hasn't made production yet since I got it last summer. Maybe you can ask Carclo when they are available for retail.

Hi Erasmus ... did you build this 1.5 deg' optic into anything?
Any photo's or beamshots would be interesting. :popcorn:

Colin.

gresgate

Newly Enlightened
Ganp said:
Hi Erasmus ... did you build this 1.5 deg' optic into anything?
Any photo's or beamshots would be interesting. :popcorn:

Colin.
Fantastic job GANP, very nice work:goodjob:! These 1.5 deg' are available from whom Erasmus?:huh:

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was for a custom application (projection of a sign over a long distance) so I don't have it anymore and I can not get any more samples. It was a pre-production prototype sample which they were still finetuning but for me it was excellent.

BPH

Newly Enlightened
Ganp said:
Welcome to CPF gresgate.:)

IMH the Carclo 2 degree optic is best with a Luxeon lll for throw and even better if it is modified a bit.
It does not focus Cree XR-E's or Seoul P4's well. It can be modified to focus them better, but wastes the extra lumens in untidy side spill.

Some of my efforts with it are here and here.

Colin.

Ganp,
Sorry if I missed it, but have you used the Seoul P4 with the 2 degree yet?
I saw your post and link for the CREE, but didn't see info for the Seoul?
As you likely know, the Seoul has a lambertian pattern more similar to the Lux, unlike the Cree.
-BPH

Ganp

Enlightened
BPH said:
Ganp,
Sorry if I missed it, but have you used the Seoul P4 with the 2 degree yet?
I saw your post and link for the CREE, but didn't see info for the Seoul?
As you likely know, the Seoul has a lambertian pattern more similar to the Lux, unlike the Cree.
-BPH

I had high hopes that the Seoul P4 with its Luxeon like beam pattern and physical structure, would go well with the 2 degree optic. Unfortunately
it does not focus well, and gives a doughnut beam similar to the Cree with an unmodified optic.

To get the optic to focus the Cree it had to be extensively modified (or some might say 'butchered' :naughty: ), and did not put the extra lumens into the spot, but into an untidy and useless spill.

Because of this I have not tried to modify an optic specifically for the Seoul, as I suspect that it would similarly waste the extra lumens. I could be wrong of course. At the moment I do not fancy trashing another optic to find out.

MHO is that for throw, a Luxlll is still the best LED in this optic.

Colin.

gresgate

Newly Enlightened
This I received from the Carclo representative:

"Can you explain to me the beam output needed as the 10025( 2 degree optic) will give you a spot of light with a hole in the middle that close up and the spot will be 50mm dia. Are you looking to get as much light in the smallest spot?"

I think this uneven pattern of light is normal for this optic. :(

Ganp

Enlightened
gresgate said:
This I received from the Carclo representative:

"Can you explain to me the beam output needed as the 10025( 2 degree optic) will give you a spot of light with a hole in the middle that close up and the spot will be 50mm dia. Are you looking to get as much light in the smallest spot?"

I think this uneven pattern of light is normal for this optic. :(

How close up do you need to be?

Colin.

OddOne

Enlightened
I have a review on several of Carlco's optics, including the 50mm 2-degree one, on my LED website here.

This is what I did with one...
finished_light.jpg

And what the results looked like, when used with a Cree XLamp3 driven @ 750mA...
beamshot.jpg

oO

Ganp

Enlightened
OddOne ... I just had a quick look at your link -
Nice site, and very good work with the optics reviews. :twothumbs

Colin.

OddOne

Enlightened
Thanks Ganp!

As it turns out, my host reorganized their servers over the weekend - and broke my site. Some quick config-file edits to accomodate the new paths and it's back up. :D

oO

gresgate

Newly Enlightened
Ganp said:
How close up do you need to be?

Colin.
Sorry not responding before, well it's a medical device that need to feed the maximum light power to a fiber optic bundle inside a cilinder of aproximately 0.7 inch deep and 0.3inch diameter.

Last edited: